Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
why did game change and where'd "race the wind" go? it looks like two sailboat racing games got merged into one and all the pictures and stuff that were listed with "Race the Wind" disappeared. anyone know where they went?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is:

Race the Wind

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Here it is:

Race the Wind

N.

hehe. there it is alright. though just a few days ago the current Race the Wing was listed as Velagiochiamo and there was a seperate listing for a game called Race the Wind which i guess is very similar, a newer version really (though i'm not positive). but there was some content (pictures, player aids, etc...) listed with the latest version that isn't easily accessible anymore. the current information for Race the Wind is a little misleading as it isnt' applicable to the current version most readily available. is this a philosophical question that's bigger than just "what is a game?"? maybe. i dunno, i've been drinking and really all i want is for people to see my pictures of the little sailboats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like whoever decided to change the name of the older listing for Velagiochiamo to Race the Wind to reflect the new name for the updated version of the game didn't bother to check that there was already a separate listing for the new version, or else didn't bother to transfer the existing content for the new version over to the renamed older listing.

I don't have any problem with combining the two game versions into one listing, but I am disappointed not to be able to find the comments, reviews, and discussion about the new version.

Does anybody know how to correct this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is not an issue of "didn't bother" to transfer the existing content, but rather there was a failure of the merger tool. In the past, game mergers have moved all of the content of the merged games into on entry, but for some reason data was not assigned to this entry. Presumably the data still exists in the BGG database, and it merely needs to be re-assigned to this game entry.

Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Looks like whoever decided to change the name of the older listing for Velagiochiamo to Race the Wind to reflect the new name for the updated version of the game didn't bother to check that there was already a separate listing for the new version, or else didn't bother to transfer the existing content for the new version over to the renamed older listing.

I don't have any problem with combining the two game versions into one listing, but I am disappointed not to be able to find the comments, reviews, and discussion about the new version.

Does anybody know how to correct this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there is a bigger question as to whether these games should have been combined at all.

I don't have either, but from looking at some of the descriptions and forum entries, it looks as if the earlier one is different from teh later one.

If different games that share the same roots get combined, then Santa Fe/Santa Fe Rails/Clippers and Holiday/Maloney's Inheritance/Shanghai should also be combined into one entry, along with many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
There is not an issue of "didn't bother" to transfer the existing content, but rather there was a failure of the merger tool. In the past, game mergers have moved all of the content of the merged games into on entry, but for some reason data was not assigned to this entry. Presumably the data still exists in the BGG database, and it merely needs to be re-assigned to this game entry.

is the re-assigning an admin thing? i looked at some of the stuff i put in and didn't see a way to re-assign it. should it just be resubmitted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
I think that there is a bigger question as to whether these games should have been combined at all.

I don't have either, but from looking at some of the descriptions and forum entries, it looks as if the earlier one is different from teh later one.

If different games that share the same roots get combined, then Santa Fe/Santa Fe Rails/Clippers and Holiday/Maloney's Inheritance/Shanghai should also be combined into one entry, along with many others.

yeah, i think they should have seperate listings too. runebound 1st and 2nd edition do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Re: why did game change and where'd "race the wind" go?

So now that the merger tool didn't work as expected: Who will re-assign the mis-placed data? I have no idea how to do it. I can't even find the previous entries, and if I do manage to stumble across some of them I don't know how to re-assign them.

Skelebone - Sorry I can see how my previous post sounded harsher than intended. Clearly you know more about this than I do. Is locating the lost content and re-assigning it something you can do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1524323

is from the other listing.

You can see the "representative image" but can't really get to it or any of the other data from there.

I still think that it looks like these games should have maintained seperate entries. Twilight Imperium is another example of a game with multiple listings despite being an evolved system from the same roots, with the same name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.