Freedom in the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: FITG Vassal Update 2.02 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kiger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted update 2.02 to Vassal site.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Freedom_in_The_Galax...

After finally grinding my way through a Galactic Scenario, there were several things that became rather annoying during play.

1. The detailed environ info is part of the main game map, so both players see when another is looking at it, and both players can dismiss it by clicking on it. Sometimes you would see some info box pop up, and without thinking about it, you would click on it to close it out. This of course would frustrate the other player as he/she had just opened it up to read it. Worse, one player would be reading some info, and the other player would open a different environ info, and it would close out the first player’s info, again frustrating players. I had originally designed it so that only one info box could be open at time (bad idea in retrospect) so that they wouldn’t clutter up the board. Well, this update changes this so any number of info boxes can be open at the same time. Player’s should still be cognizant though, when an info box just pops up, the other player is reading it. Probably shouldn’t close out an info box unless you opened it yourself.

2. I found the Vassal turn counter to be cumbersome. I stopped using it. I liked using the turn track on the original board. I added the detailed phases of the Player-turn to the charts menu. I found using the original turn track and referring to Players-turn sequence in the charts much better. I left the Vassal turn counters (All three of them) in the module for those players who want to use them.

3. I completely re-did the setup of the Secret counter in the Galactic game. The Rebel player I was playing with had locked the Secrets into the Orbit boxes in the most annoying location – right smack in the middle of the Orbit box. I intended the Secret counter to be carefully positioned in the corner of the Orbit Box over the word “secret”, kind of out of the way of other counters that would use that box during play. In this update, I have created Secret boxes in each Orbit Box that contains a secret. These boxes are located exactly where I envisioned the Secret Counters to be placed. All the Imperial Player does is drop the 16 Secrets into these boxes (The counters will be positioned automatically) and once all 16 are in place, the Imperial Player will click one button on the tool bar to lock then all simultaneously into place (No more Rebel player locking each one individually) I cut the Rebel Player out of the process. The process is totally random, and the Imperial Player can’t inspect them until they’re locked in place. A much better system for sure.

4. I found the tool bar menu to be a bit counterintuitive. I rearranged the tool bar into what I believe is a more organized format.

5. Found a card error on the Rebel Character Kogus – I inadvertently had his Navigation rating at 4 when it should be a 3. That’s what you get when you recreate all the cards from scratch – inadvertent errors. I rescrubbed all the cards for a 4th time to ensure no more card errors.

6. I found myself referring to the rule book a lot for the Domino Effect, so I made a chart for the Domino Effect. The Rebel player also wanted to read about the Secrets before they were revealed, so I added a Secret chart.

I'm hoping this is the last update.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: FITG Vassal Update 2.01
Andy,

Thanks for all your hard work.

I have yet been able to use the Freedom in the Galaxy vassal module but having created many modules myself I know the goal of making one as "user friendly" as possible.

Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy, thanks for all the hard work on your VASSAL module. You have done a lot of great stuff on it and I've been looking at your module to see how you have accomplished some of the minor items in it. I may have to steal from you when I upgrade some of my own modules for other games next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I join the above BGGers in extending my sincere apprecciation for all your efforts to develop and refine this module. Thank you, it is a great job and will make it possible for myself and others to actually venture into playing this online against others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kiger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had to push another update up.

Update 2.02 is the latest now.

Discovered some stuff I missed on the Secrets Placement Routine.

Fixed now.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.