Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Cope
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcossonne has to be one of my favorite games. The Original expansionless game is great for introducing family and friends to the more exciting side of gaming.

But after that... having tasted the expansions, I can never go back. I must have either the Dragon or Tower expansion to enjoy Carcossonne to its max. Without those, there is just to much luck in the game (all depending on if you pull that one tile at exactly the right time). At least the dragon and tower add some extra strategy of placement for protection and quickening the completions for sure scoring. The fact that somebody has control in a city and never gets bumped out is not as fun as devouring their every hope with a meeple thirsty dragon. I know you can sneak your way into incompleted cities by way of merging, but Ohhh to take away!!!!devil

I must be one of those gamers that loves interaction between players where there is a give and take. The Dragon and Tower Expansions adds more player interaction by moving the dragon together. It makes it harder for someone to run away with the game (though it still happens) when the other players can work together to harm the leaders chances. That's what I like about these expansions, a player can't just get a tile and place a tile. He must strategize and try and predict the intentions of his oponents, and steal those intentions with a princes or magic portal!!!.

I love this game. Its expansion rule building is a great concept, but once you have the original game down, move on to deeper and better things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I must have either the Dragon or Tower expansion to enjoy Carcossonne to its max. Without those, there is just to much luck in the game

Well, if too much luck is your concern, then I would suggest avoiding the Dragon expansion -- it only amplifies the luck factor, rather than reducing it. There's more strategy & tactics in figuring out how to weasel your way into someone else's city than there is is just pulling the right tile to munch them!

I don't know that the Tower is much better in that regard, but it *seems* better balanced to us, anyway -- there's some cost/benefit risk analysis that lasts for the rest of the game.

Your mileage may vary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cope
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, there is some randomness to when the dragon moves or when a volcano comes out, but avoiding the dragon can be strategic. You must make choices weighing whether to place a meeple or take the fairy. Or avoid the dragon by expanding in a dragonless area. All luck isn't bad, I still enjoy some chaotic randomness in a game. I definitely don't want a game playing itself. Thanks for your post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Browning
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally do not really enjoy either expansion. If you're trying to reduce the luck factor, then why use Tower. "Oh boy I just pulled a tower piece! I'll stick it right next to your meeple and immediatly build onto it, therefore taking you hostage." It seems that drawing a tower tile at the right time is just as "lucky" as getting that tile that lets you invade your opponent's city (use the fatty meeple).

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cope
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why you place meeples in diagonals away from towers, and build up safe tiles around important scoring meeples for spacing. Players have a limited amount of towers, so placement and timing plays into strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.