Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

I have been looking for a game for my 5 year old niece. I don't think she has any experience with games. She would be playing it with her 2 parents who have some experience with modern games. I want to get her something that looks really nice on the table

I have been thinking about the following:
- My first Stone Age
- ticket to ride: first journey
- my first carcassonne
- animal upon animal
- Rhino hero

Any recommendations among these or others?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal upon Animal and Rhino Hero are good choices: With the dexterity component, it puts the kids on more equal footing with the adults. (We have the former, and I intend to get the latter for my kids for Christmas.)

My daughter (6 and a half) has recently started to play Sushi Go! and loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are loving Ticket to Ride: First Journey (U.S.) with 5-yr old twins. They can both do well by themselves after a little initial game play advice (even my niece who usually doesn't finish a game). And the adults enjoy the faster streamlined rules too. This would be my recommendation!

Animal Upon Animal is cute and fun to build with, but the kids here never want to actually play the game.

My First Carcassonne is beautiful and great quality. I wanted the kids to like this, but I felt that even with the simple rules, I was playing the game for them. I ended up trading it away because I think they will do just fine with regular Carcassonne very soon.

I don't have any experience with My First Stone Age or Rhino Hero.

Some others that the kids like and do well with (and that we adults enjoy playing with them):
Wildlife Safari
Dragonwood
Sleeping Queens
City Square Off
Outfoxed!
Splendor
Rat-a-Tat Cat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo this is a new twist on an old and out of print game. The original works very well with young kids, and I thought it was far more engaging for adults than the typical games a five year old can play. The dexterity element also favors small fingers, and what 5 year old doesn't like beating mom and dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, we love Animal Upon Animal, but my kids (11yo and 8yo) actually enjoy it much more now than they did when they were younger and less careful/dexterous.

Our most enjoyed games at that age were card games (these all have good staying power and are enjoyable for adults too):

Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Nobody but Us Chickens

If my daughter was younger and I was looking for a game with a board, I would be looking at The Enchanted Tower or Spinderella or Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters, all Kinderspiel des Jahres winners that look great. (I haven't played either of them, but they all get excellent reviews.)

Also, I believe that Cardline: Animals should work well for a 5yo. Not a board, but pretty artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
iklinck wrote:
Animal upon Animal and Rhino Hero are good choices: With the dexterity component, it puts the kids on more equal footing with the adults.

I have and love both of these. They are good for kids and often get played with adults only, too, so they are "evergreen"! They also double as toys to just build with, which I think is perfectly valid and adds value.

+1 to Sleeping Queens. It isn't a game I'd play with adults only, but kids really seem to like it. The art is very cute and whimsical and the gameplay is fun enough. There is some simple math which can be easily removed (or made more complex) with house rules. Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
My 5 year olds favorite game is Unicorn Glitterluck followed by Gulo Full and Vivo Topo. She also like Animal Upon Animal , rhino hero, and Chicken Cha Cha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions above. My five year old loves Unicorn Glitterluck, Rat-a-Tat-Cat, Sleeping Queens, Drecksau, Ghostblitz, Spinderella, Magic Labyrinth, Love Letter (Adventure Time, Batman, and Santa), Sneaky Snacky Squirrel, Sushi Dice, Sushi Go Party, Kombat Kittens, Munchkin... but he won't play Rhino Hero with me. He gets too frustrated when the tower falls over and can't stand still enough around the structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride: First Journey. Good game for all, perfect for that age and it looks great on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Sleeping Queens. We got it for our 6yo daughter this year and I think she played it at least 20 times within the first 2 days after she got it. Sushi Go! is another I can recommend as well as Zooloretto. Both have been well received. I introduced both to my kids at 5 and 7 years old and they loved them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.