Subject: New game idea, need criticism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grey Ersting
msg tools
badge
Send me a trade request!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just started my path of becoming a game developer a little over a week ago and I just had my second game idea. I need some criticism on the idea and possibly some brainstorming.
The basic idea is that it's a deck builder where you bid on cards. Everyone draws some cards on a turn and behind a player screen sets an amount of victory points they are willing to sacrifice for the card. After this all of the cards are revealed and players can buy each others cards in turn order. After this they add them to their discard pile and play cards from their deck to possibly gain more victory points and other special abilities. Does this sound even remotely interesting to anybody? Does anybody have any ideas? Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck building by way of Auction sounds fascinating. It feels like too much "Stop! Now let's do this other thing" though. Part of the appeal of Dominion Clones is that buying new cards is the game.

Is there some way you could integrate the bidding process into gameplay? Perhaps at the start of every round, three cards are dealt out, then Players each take a turn, choosing to use cards either for thier bid or effect text. End of round, players take one card each in order of bid size. Or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey Ersting
msg tools
badge
Send me a trade request!
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are saying that cards should have a bid value and an effect but players can choose to use either? If so, that sounds really cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically like Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, except you're deckbuilding instead of laying tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Devery
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
So basically like Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, except you're deckbuilding instead of laying tiles?

I was thinking this.

You mention the cards go into the discard pile after purchased, and that you bid with VPs, And new cards are drawn and prices are then set...

But i dont really see where the deck you are creating comes into play. Usually the cards in your deck go to carrying out actions, some of which could be to buy new cards. But if you are buying cards through this bidding process, what is your deck doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyersting wrote:
So you are saying that cards should have a bid value and an effect but players can choose to use either? If so, that sounds really cool

Yeah, effectively. Glad to help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Hm, well, if the players all start with the same number of Victory Points, and they go through few phases of bidding to build their deck, I guess the next thing would be for them to use those new-formed decks against something that can earn them more VPs. So, it is a loop in which they are trying not to outstretch themselves, and after set number or rounds (or after depletion of obstacle deck) the one with most VPs is the winner.

The faster you can get this into a playtestable form (index cards for the win!), the better you'll be able to use your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad idea! Do some playtesting and see what else pops out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yaakov Buchsbaum
msg tools
the mechanism sounds strong and legitamte, the question is what is the core game experience you want the players to have? the biding and buying sounds cool but it might deminsh from the deck-building experience.

maybe, this order can work better:

1. draw cards
2. use cards and victory points to bid (each card has a victory point value)
3. each player takes the cards he won in the bid to his hand
4. each player can buy any of the cards that were used in the biding by paying the other player the cards value.
5. each player discards the cards he used and the cards he baught.
6. player use the cards in thier hands to do actions.

the core experience is the decsion when to use a card and for what purpose and when to use victory points. A tension is suposed to be created between using cards but fearing you mmay lose them or using victory points but then you lose the game.

I hope that using cards and victory points to bid will give the game more of a deck building feel.
If you use this mechanism or a similar one cards will serve multipile purposes, gamers love multi purpose cards.
Another con is that giving cards a value will help players realize how much to bid.

I have no experience in devleoping games so take my advice with caution and good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.