United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
A Sniper Approach to T-Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Since late November, we've had 25 people sign up for an experimental community based around a new "take" on gaming groups. The elevator-pitch is that instead of getting a group together and deciding on the spot what game to play, to instead be "matched" with players in your area that already know how and WANT to play the same game as you.

Want to play that new box of Scythe, but every time you sit down to play it you spend an hour teaching the rules?

Want to try playing Blood Rage and have watched play-throughs but don't own it yet and want to play it first to see if it is a fit for your shelf?

Want to play Caverna, but keeping finding your friends, family, or current gaming group fleeing in terror when the box comes out?

These, and other scenarios, are what Im trying to effectively alleviate. I personally want to get more "plays per month" of games that I want to play (eg. Games that have a weight over 2.25 and a playtime over 60 minutes), instead of settling to play whatever my close family or current family will compromise to play (ticket to ride, splendor, etc)

If you're interested in trying to play more of the games you're most interested in, please geekmail me, reply here, email help@playtgames.com, or sign up by following the steps on www.playtgames.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
Game Stores? Of course.

Libraries? If a room is rented, yes. Just showing up and playing on a table?

Supermarkets? Have you actually done this? I am intrigued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron G Beck
United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Huskerdude. Even though I subscribed to the thread, I didn't get a notification that you replied (I'm new to the forum thing here on BGG). Yes, supermarkets that have a food court area are great! A quick chat with the manager usually results in a "oh, you and a bunch of mouths want to hang around our food court for hours around dinnertime?" Never been asked to leave

Libraries is something a game group started nearby here in Salt Lake, they worked out a deal for every Wednesday. They just gather in a corner. After all, it is a public building

Would you mind if I added you to the list as the first person in California? I'll try to set up specific appointments for you with people in your area (I'll have to do some reaching out to that region, my focus has been on Utah for the last month). Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron G Beck
United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Christmas right around the corner, I've asked a few of the people signed up for playtgames.com if they are getting any gaming appointments - and each person I've asked has said something along the lines "I haven't had time lately with the Holidays." So hopefully more games enter collections on Christmas, and the owners find themselves really wanting to play them; at least enough to either A) Invite others to their home B) Go to someone else's home or C) Meet at a public place.

Here's wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years to anyone reading this message!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tori T.
msg tools
PlayTGames wrote:
With Christmas right around the corner, I've asked a few of the people signed up for playtgames.com if they are getting any gaming appointments - and each person I've asked has said something along the lines "I haven't had time lately with the Holidays." So hopefully more games enter collections on Christmas, and the owners find themselves really wanting to play them; at least enough to either A) Invite others to their home B) Go to someone else's home or C) Meet at a public place.

Here's wishing a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years to anyone reading this message!

Merry Christmas to you too! I sent you an email. I'm most interested in playing Terraforming Mars, Scythe, or anything new that is in the top 20 here on this website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron G Beck
United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend, I introduced Distance Calculations from player to player based off of Latitude/Longitude. Hopefully this will help everyone to get more matches than the previously used "what cities do you want to play in?" preference.

I was running into the problem where someone would live in a small city (eg. Syracuse or Springville) but that other players hadn't explicitly indicated in their preference, the algorithm couldn't detect a match based off of city, causing the players in smaller cities to not match outwardly to the players in bigger cities.

Anyway, on January 4th I'm to do the next wave of match-making. If you're reading this and want to try this out with the other 27 of us, please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TgZ2PXQpp8 to check out what we're up to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron G Beck
United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And one last thing I could think of before signing off for a while - here is the Meetup.com group where each "meetup" is a specific game.

My hope is that the existing Meetup.com population is attracted to it and uses it to meet others that want to play the same games, and then joins the community.

Here is the link if you want to check it out: https://www.meetup.com/PlayTGames-Game-Specific-Appointments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron G Beck
United States
Woods Cross
Utah
flag msg tools
www.PlayTGames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting couples, we're up to 27 signups! I've yet to ask the community how many game plays they're at - but so far I've set up and attended 4 game-specific appointments in the last 30 days.

1. Scythe w/ D.P.
2. Dungeon Pets w/ N.J
3. Scythe w/ T.R
4. Tzol'kin w/ L&A.K

Being able to set up appointments to play the games that I'm interested in (and that they are also interested in), without having to "hope" that my game hits the table at a gaming group has changed my hobby entirely! Now I'm looking at games I wouldn't have imagined I'd ever find anyone to play with!

My next goals are to set up appointments to play Feast for Odin, Caverna, and Alchemist to see if Worker-Placement really is my favorite Genre. I also want to play Blood Rage, Cry Havoc, and Kemet to see if they can change the stigma about "combat games" that Risk cursed me with as a child....Scythe did a good job of making me say "ya know what, this battling stuff is actually kinda exciting - and it isn't just up to the dice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.