Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four quickies from our first play session today:

1) The resolution of the second agenda card's back states: "... until a Ghoul enemy is discarded. The lead investigator draws that enemy."

Is this draw in lieu of the normal mythos draw, or in addition to it?

And now, to a lesser extent:

2) Location effects -- are they persistent? For example, if somebody entered the attic, moved to the hallways and then returned to the attic in a single round, would they receive the horror damage multiple times in the round? We presumed so, but weren't 100% sure.

3) We hit a point in the game where things felt almost broken -- Act 2 demanded we find 6 clues to advance. We cleared the four out of the attic, but the basement was hit by fog raising its shroud to 6. Neither of our characters had more than a 3 in intellect (Skids and Agnes), and at the difficulty setting we established, we had a +1 token at best (the elder sign could net a +2 for Skids if he was lucky enough to draw it as well, no clue about Agnes' ability).

Anyhoo, we got really lucky with a card Agnes drew which allowed her to acquire clues from a failed skill check (or something like that), but if things hadn't gone well it seemed mathematically impossible for us to advance. Did we miss something, or can these situations arise (and you're left to draw cards endlessly in the hopes of finding something to overcome the mathematical hurdle)? Eldritch Horror has a rule that no matter the modifiers, you always had at least a chance to pass any test ("always roll at least one die"), and I think Mansions 2e has the same -- did we miss some kind of saving grace rule like this?

Lastly,

4) Talent assets -- how many can be simultaneously equipped? Unlimited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In addition.
2. Yes.
3. You can commit cards from hand to add the icons in the top right, raising your skill for that one test.
4. Unlimited.

Edit, for Question 3:
Quote:
The investigator performing the skill test may commit any number of cards with an appropriate skill icon from his or her hand to this test.

Each other investigator at the same location as the investigator performing the skill test may commit one card with an appropriate skill icon to this test.

An appropriate skill icon is either one that matches the skill being tested, or a wild icon. The investigator performing this test gets +1 to his or her skill value during this test for each appropriate skill icon that is committed to this test.

Cards that lack an appropriate skill icon may not be committed to a skill test. Do not pay a card's resource cost when committing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Eldritch Horror has a rule that no matter the modifiers, you always had at least a chance to pass any test ("always roll at least one die"), and I think Mansions 2e has the same -- did we miss some kind of saving grace rule like this?

1) Note that Obscuring Fog dissipates after you successfully Investigate a single time, so you only have to make one successful check with the high shroud, and you only need two clues from the Cellar, not all four.

2) There's no auto-succeed (except for an Elder Sign roll with Wendy's Amulet), but there are many ways to build up Intellect for a check:

- Agnes's Elder Sign ability gives her +her horror to a skill check. It's a long shot, but consider making sure she has a few horror before Investigating. Skids's Elder Sign ability gives him +2.

- Use multiple Skill cards. From the investigators you're running, Perception, Unexpected Courage, Evidence!, and "Look what I found" all give you two Intellect each. Skids's On the Lam card gives you 3!

- Use card abilities. There are almost too many to list, but Flashlight, Drawn to the Flame, Arcane Studies, Lucky!, "Look what I found" and Evidence! all seem particularly useful in this situation. I'm sure there are other cards and combos I'm not considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah cards and abilities that let you get clues outside of the normal investigation action are going to be vital to deck construction in this game I think. You can chuck all the skill cards you want at a test and still potentially fail, and then not only did you not get the clue, but now all those cards are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:

3. You can commit cards from hand to add the icons in the top right, raising your skill for that one test.

Matt_W wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
Eldritch Horror has a rule that no matter the modifiers, you always had at least a chance to pass any test ("always roll at least one die"), and I think Mansions 2e has the same -- did we miss some kind of saving grace rule like this?

1) Note that Obscuring Fog dissipates after you successfully Investigate a single time, so you only have to make one successful check with the high shroud, and you only need two clues from the Cellar, not all four.

I'm definitely aware of both these elements (Marino, my commentary "and you're left to draw cards endlessly in the hopes of finding something to overcome the mathematical hurdle" was a tacit acknowledgement of skill cards). However, I've yet to see a card offer more than +2 intellect, and for Skids even this was rare. That gives 5, which is still one less than a fog laden cellar demands.

At that point I'd have a 12% chance (2 in 16) of drawing something to pass the test.

Granted, multiple skill cards can be played, but Skids and Agnes didn't offer much in this regards in our experience.

(Matt, I was aware the fog would dissipate, but getting even one successful investigation was the problem).

Anyhoo, I enjoyed the experience. We lost, but were looking at this merely as a learning game before we committed to a faction for a three scenario run. My only major criticism, perhaps "worry" is a better phrasing, is the prevalence of these stalemate situations in play. I suspect they'll be vanishingly small edge cases, but for one to appear in our first (and only thus far) game is worrisome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
For that question in particular, the game does not offer any kind of "there's always a chance, however slight, that you succeed" mechanic, no. The numbers for, say, gaining a clue may well be outside what can be modified into a success. If your situation gets to a point whereby you have no intellect tokens left in your hand or deck to commit, you have no intellect-boosting talent in play, no cards or investigator abilities available to get clues outside of the standard investigate means, etc... you need to throw an acknowledging nod at the situation, call it out as poor luck or sloppy/inappropriate decks, then look around for the resign option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
- Use card abilities. There are almost too many to list, but Flashlight, Drawn to the Flame, Arcane Studies...

Last point the OP is probably but not necessarily aware of - Arcane Studies allows for unlimited conversion of Resources into Intellect, which is not intuitively obvious. You still have to be lucky enough to draw the card and have the available Resources, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Matt_W wrote:
- Use card abilities. There are almost too many to list, but Flashlight, Drawn to the Flame, Arcane Studies...

Last point the OP is probably but not necessarily aware of - Arcane Studies allows for unlimited conversion of Resources into Intellect, which is not intuitively obvious. You still have to be lucky enough to draw the card and have the available Resources, of course.

Holy hell, are you for real?

I was playing Skids, so I never saw Arcane Studies (but did just look it up on Arkhamdb). However, a similar talent came into play for my investigator. I never made the assumption I could stack the effect to a +2 or +3 (or more) by spending additional resources.

Funny thing is it makes sense, but flies in the face of using Surges in Descent (and the symbol for the effects are similar). So, subconsciously, I assumed you could only feed the "surge" once (even though they aren't surges, and that isn't lost on me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Matt_W wrote:

Holy hell, are you for real?

I was playing Skids, so I never saw Arcane Studies (but did just look it up on Arkhamdb). However, a similar talent came into play for my investigator. I never made the assumption I could stack the effect to a +2 or +3 (or more) by spending additional resources.

Funny thing is it makes sense, but flies in the face of using Surges in Descent (and the symbol for the effects are similar). So, subconsciously, I assumed you could only feed the "surge" once (even though they aren't surges, and that isn't lost on me).

Well it's similar to Ghost Armor in Descent where you could spend fatigue to gain a shield as many times as you wanted up to your max stamina. But I never read it like that until someone pointed it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.