Subject: Aligning Romania rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody, I need a clarification on something.

When Germany lets Russia take Bessarabia, Hungary Transilvania and Bulgaria Dobruja, what are the conditions for it to align Rumania? The rules say:

"Germany may align a neutral Rumania during any Axis declaration of war step if Germany has declared war on the USSR (not if the USSR has declared war on Germany), is at war with Yugoslavia, or controls Belgrade."

It seems to me that ANY ONE of this conditions is sufficient. But wouldn't that make a no brainer for Germany to concede everything all the times, unless it wants to align Yugoslavia?

Thanks in advance,
Matteo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Ricco'
Italy
Modena
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to be clear, we're wondering whether the rules should be read as follows: 'Germany has declared war on the USSR and either is at war with Yugoslavia or controls Belgrade.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Giringiro wrote:
Just to be clear, we're wondering whether the rules should be read as follows: 'Germany has declared war on the USSR and either is at war with Yugoslavia or controls Belgrade.'

If Germany gave Hungary and Bulgaria their pound of flesh, the way to align Rumania is for Germany either to have declared war on the USSR OR is at war with Yugoslavia OR controls Belgrade.

Satisfying any one of those three conditions allows Germany to align Rumania in this situation.

There are some players who like to work to align Yugoslavia instead, which takes some work but the Yugo factories and army are handy. Sometimes I reject the Hungarian/Bulgarian claims so I can more effectively use the Rumanians as full allies. Depends on the game and mood...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thank you, Wendel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think most people do the 'historical' approach with Germany - that is, allow the claim by the USSR, allow the Hungarian and Bulgarian claims, and attack Yugoslavia and align everyone.

If you can pull it off, if you conquer Greece you can align Romania after the DoW of the USSR. Then you can align Yugoslavia also which gives an HQ, etc.

But a very good reason to deny the Bulgarian and Hungarian claims is that Romania becomes a full ally immediately (next Dow). The Hungarians and Bulgarians aren't that great anyway, but the big advantage is that an attack on the USSR can be much stronger inf units are starting in Romania. It is hard to get German units into Romania quickly once Bessarabia is lost (few rail cities) and getting land units there by foot is hard. getting this process started early can be very beneficial.

So there are a lot of ways to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.