Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: common multi-dig sites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
In designing maps, I've noticed that I have a bad intuition for what is or is not a likely candidate for a 2- or 3-dig by a faction that might not always do those. To build that up, I have an interesting strategy question: what hexes, and for what factions, are players likely to 2- or 3-dig?

There are a few candidates I can think of. Green is likely to 2-dig D7 or possibly D6. Black might get B4 (or if not, A9) to connect the north. Chaos Magicians might get C4, similarly.

Giants, Halflings, and Nomad sandstorms (and obviously all the expansion factions) don't count for this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this cool and interesting strategy question! IMHO, 2-/3-digs will bei either for town completion or for connectivity (bridging hex).

My take:
Alchemists + Darklings: B6 and maybe one-of D3/F3 (all yellow)
Cultists: G2, H4
Fakirs: yuk
Chaos Magicians: E9, I6 (all green)
Dwarves + Engineers: E8, G6, maybe one of G4/I10
Auren + Witches: D4, D6, D7 (all red)
Mermaids: G1, I3 (all grey)
Swarmlings: A2/B2, H3/I3

Particularly interesting is the fact the Red-Green competition, i.e. the 2-dig hexes one of these colors wants most are all of the other's home color.

Edit: for convenience, here's a link to the original map (*click*).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
This is a really good question. The issue with answering it is (and maybe this is just a cop-out), double and triple digs are really all situational (at least from how I approach the game).

So in an ideal game of TM, I'm not trying to double or triple dig anything. It's obviously super inefficient, and as Doc points out, has to provide some greater reason why you want a particular space over an easier space (e.g. towns or connectivity). The problem with analyzing this too deeply then, is that which spaces you need to double/triple dig is completely dependent on your opponents actions. The answer then is - the most common 2 and 3 dig spaces are whichever ones you are forced to use because the other guys f*cked up your ideal plan of how the game should go

Alright, now to try to provide some more concrete answers:

-Darklings: I play quite a bit of darklings, and generally feel like priesty shovels are a lot easier to put together 2 or 3 of at a time for a space. G4, B6, B4 are all spaces that I find myself taking a look at usually for one reason or another. In one league game this season, I 2-digged E9 because an engineer was slow to move out from F6, focusing on the more contested spaces in the middle of the map first thinking that E9 was effectively his based on the usual symbiotic black-gray relationship in the east. I found this to be an elegant way to hamper engineers while also giving myself a boost in connecting to my other starting settlement in the west (a darklings archetype I refer to as the upside-down crescent).

-Engineers: G6 gets taken a lot if red is in the game and starts at D7, frequently to the dismay of black/brown who now need a very roundabout connection if they started focused on the east. I see a fair amount of engineers players in my games 2-dig E8 (although I've never done this). This is a quintessential remedial play in my mind, as there is never any reason to take this space unless D6/G3 have all been taken and you need it to stretch out for 3 boats to connect in the east. Generally speaking, if an engineers player takes E8 in this manner, I know that they're playing to place at that point. I really haven't ever played dwarves, but in general the beauty in engineers to me is never having to double/triple dig anything.

-Nomads: obviously a special case with sandstorm. I've got 12 games online with them (and probably at least 10 more f2f) and no two games ever seem to end up with quite the same pattern of spots. There's obviously also a huge difference in playing a TE first nomads game (preferable in my mind) to a SH first nomads, although my general metric for progress when I play nomads is usually "do I have FAV11 and SH by the end of round 3?". So spots that I take with sandstorm as nomads are essentially everywhere (and given the fact that I have access to sandstorm, I don't think I've ever 2/3-digged a space manually as nomads). I'll usually try to punish opponents to make things harder for them with it if I think I can still make 3 towns either way and it will really hurt an opponent (but I also find that I play more aggressively than most players even in the 1400+ crew).

-Red/Green: I play these colors a lot less, but I tend to agree with Doc in that both of these colors seem to view spaces of the other color as viable 2-dig spots - especially C4/D6, and to a lesser extent E9. Obviously a critical part of the map for connectivity from the northeast to the rest of the map. I think this really goes back to a lot of the engineers are OP arguments that were going on last month, in that the spaces that the trio of red/green/gray are looking at for their ideal un-f*cked-with game are a lot of the same spots, while the trio of blue/black/brown seem to be able to divvy up the map and coexist more equitably (e.g. in a blue/black/brown/gray game where I'm the engineers that I'm playing right now, I'm still going to struggle to win because those 3 colors are so efficient and sharing where they want to be; you'd never ever see that in reverse with darklings struggling to beat red/gray/green).

-Blue: For swarmlings, C2 is obviously a coveted 2-dig spot that you usually won't get because engineers generally scoops that up quickly. Thus, I find myself frequently taking B2 at a 2-dig instead to make my third town on the northern edge of the map while also connecting through with B3. I did 2-dig E7 once as swarmlings, but again this was a tactically aggressive play that basically took a chaos magicians player completely out of the game in round 1 because he thought he already owned that spot and slept on actually taking it. Mermaids to me falls in the same category as engineers from the perspective that if I'm double digging things in a mermaids game I probably already lost and I'm just playing to place better. Mermaids have great veins of blues connected conveniently by greens and blacks in the perfect combinations to form their 3 over-water towns without ever doing a 2/3 dig play. The only space that I can even remember ever seeing a mermaids player 2-dig is H3. You just have too much town and connection flexibility with the over-water towns and up to 5 boats; as previously stated, the only reason to ever 2/3-dig a space is for those 2 goals so it's hard to come up with a reason to ever do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke J
msg tools
CMs like I6, but often green beats 'em to the punch

I recently triple-dug G1 as cultists. G2 is also common, but yellow and red often get there first.

Swarmlings often want c2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently did a 3-dig at G1 as the Darklings (standard, base board).

I had E5 as a starting position, and was surrounded by Fakirs and Giants, so needed to dig that site to start a town. Maybe not common, but if, when playing as the Darklings, your opponents avoid the South East corner of the map to prevent you from digging power, you are forced to go to less optimal spots.

It all depends so much on initial faction selection though. I find that I am much less likely to fight for a 2 or 3-dig spot if I know another faction will get there before me, whereas I'm much more willing to fight for that 1-2 dig spot I have a shot at. 3 digs are a very rare event for me, as I'm sure they are for a good number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
N├╝rnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double digs are generally useful if you can reach another hex of your own color. G6 for brown and grey, H3 for Mrmaids and Swarmlings, B2 for Swarmlings. G4 and B6 for Darklings, B4 for Alchemists.

3 Digs can be good last round.
I sometimes take I9 or H6 with Darklings to prevent Engineers getting it.
I also took H5 with Engineers to get a town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.