Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

This may be a lengthy post but this is what happened : a Korean guy here on BGG sent me a package and as a result of an error of our Belgian post offices [they didn't leave a message when I wasn't at home that the package arrived], it was sent back on 'our' expenses to Korea. For the remainder of the story, read on :

This is one of the replies of the seller himself [repeatedly saying that the post office calls him and is saying they will destroy the package] :
Quote:
Hi.
There is a problem.
This situation is not settled yet.
The Korean Post Office said that I have to pay the returend fees.

What wrong and what is the truth concerning this situation ?
Korean Post Ofiice is now urging me that they are going to throw away.
This is in emergency I think.

And this is my response as I quite frankly quite fed up with it. Mind you : I did phone with a central Korean post office and they assured me there were no charges for the seller.

Quote:
Look Wonhee, I'll be absolutely frank with you : I don't buy it anymore and have some serious concerns about this whole situation. This is why :

- I [and as I said, a Korean friend / co-worker], called to that verified Korean post office. The central post office so to say... They assured me that you don't need to pay ANYTHING for the package and that it's just waiting to be picked up. Did you give the phone I gave you to the post office that's now asking for a charge? Furthermore, I have the confirmation of the Belgian post office that they sent the package on THEIR behalf. Any charges for shipping the package back to Korea have already been taken care of. So : WHY the extra charges? For keeping this package hostage? I honestly can't imagine Korea being a corrupt country where the "maffia" will be involved with charging people extra at postal offices...

So, I'm left here with your odd replies, I could be terribly wrong [for which I will apologize if I am] but this is what I think of it :

- why would they phone you several times? Just to announce that they are going to trash the package or throw it away? Rather suspicious if I might say.

- so, what I would like to suggest is the following : pay the amount to retrieve the package back if you indeed need to pay something for these and send me the scanned document of your payment to this email address : (removed) > don't forget to include the name of the person that will accept your payment and his / her phone number. No worries that they will only speak Korean, I'll ask my friend to do the calling once more. Again : I need a scanned document of the payment, the name of the cashier and the phone number. And I sincerely hope you won't state that they can not give a document... Oh yeah : before I forget : the address of the postal office would be EXTREMELY handy.

Replying already on a possible future statement from your side : "Why should I pay the amount and lose money"? There's no risk I might say : two options :

1. I receive the documents and the info, I will verify their 'trustworthiness' and if they are valid, I will pay for these charges AND the extra shipment... As soon as the package arrives, I will leave a positive FB as I usually do.
2. I receive the documents and the info, the info is valid yet for some weird cosmic reason I don't continue with the sale ? You may keep all these games [for free minus the cost you paid] and believe it or not, I will leave you a positive FB [I am honest as gold believe it or not]. You can even bring them back online to sell them off somewhere else...

There's a third option though... Quite a harder stance if I may say so : here it comes :

3. there's some foul play or I detect something odd > I will not hesitate to leave you a bad FB and do my best to spread the word. I've always been tolerant and forthcoming with everyone and I can't stand it if my trust is being shattered. Only logical I hope? These are NOT threats or something like that, just trying to be completely honest and frank with you.

- let it be clear that I was pleased with you as a seller, my trust was damaged a bit when I discovered you didn't ship the first package yet [with Venture / Dragon Master and so on... ] but did combine it with Gambit. All fine with me but still, it made me frown. When I think of the previous games you sent me [Silberzwerg and History of the World], I am still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and I hope you will be able to resolve this is a timely manner.

Thanks for the swift reply!
/dimi

So, after this mail, I received this :

Quote:
Thanks for a long response.

First of all, because of this accident, the trust between you and I is damaged a bit.
Though, you have to keep in mind that this situation is not made by me, but made by Post Office in Belgium and Korea!!
It is a big tragedy that our nice relationship is damaged by these foolish post office clerks. robot
So, do not look at me with any negative views.
All the bad situation is absolutely triggerd by Post Offices between two countries !!

This is the post office manager's phone number who ask for me returned shipping fees another 50 euros. arrrh
82-11-382-2759. His name is Kwon, KwangSuk.
He also urged he is going to throw away, because the parcel returned and passed 1 month already.
Of course, I may get the document related with returned parcel, when I pay returned fee 50 euros first.
Though, it cost about 100 euros, if I receive returned parcel and send it again to you.
That's why I am hesitating to receive back the parcel and cannot send you any document to you.
If you still remember the phone number, I recommend you give a phone call to the Korea Post Office and can negotiate and settle the conflict with post office in Korea.
This is the phone number.
82-2-889-0014 or 82-2-888-5234

Second, I am honesty with the deals between you and I.
On January, before you leave Skiing vacation, you ordered Dragon Mastes and more to me.
Then, you asked for me you are on leave, so make me have to hold the shiping until you come back.
I was waiting long time, but you didn't let me know you came back.
After that, you just made another game order.
I finally know that, now, you were coming back from the long vacation.
So I combined the shipping and send it all to you.
I am sure that the delayed shipping is not only by my mistake, but by mis-communications made by both of us.

Even if we are in trouble triggerd by Post Office of both countries, I hope we could resolve this problem and don't give any disappointment to each other.

Sincerely.
Won.

Conclusion Could it this be a true statement? Even though one of the postal women assured us there were no charges? What do you guys think of this?

thanks!
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Have you rang the manager of the post office?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James for the reply!
Not yet, just tried calling but no luck [some waiting tone] > I'm afraid he gave some number of one of his colleagues / friends who is also 'in to it'. Or at least : aware to wave off any foreign calls... That's why I also asked for the address of the post office 10 minutes ago. He already gave that number [ending on *2759] some mails ago so this is certainly a way to see if he's genuine or not. Should the address don't match with the telephone, I know there will be something fishy going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
echdareez wrote:
Thanks James for the reply!
Not yet, just tried calling but no luck [some waiting tone] > I'm afraid he gave some number of one of his colleagues / friends who is also 'in to it'. Or at least : aware to wave off any foreign calls... That's why I also asked for the address of the post office 10 minutes ago. He already gave that number [ending on *2759] some mails ago so this is certainly a way to see if he's genuine or not. Should the address don't match with the telephone, I know there will be something fishy going on.

Sounds reasonable. well I wish you good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems likely to me that he is being honest about this. I highly doubt he is trying to con you--it would be a strange con that doesn't kick in until the Belgian post office accidentally doesn't deliver a package. Does the user who send you the package have any negative feedback here?

I know from experience that all sorts of mix-ups can occur when you send packages internationally. One of the most common is recipients being told they have to pay more money (in customs or other fees) when receiving a package. His story sounds believable to me, and the amount of money involved seems too small for anyone to bother with serious deception such as setting up fake numbers for you to call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, you're absolutely right, I had the same opinion just until last week : I don't really live my life with suspicion in the back of my head yet what would you think if I you ended up receiving the info from a major post office [some very helpful lady over there who spoke English flawlessly] that this item doesn't have any 'charges' associated to it? Yes, it sounds ludicrous that there would be false numbers and all that but to be honest : I don't really know what to think of this anymore.

He sent this mail a few minutes ago : the investigation commences I won't start saying that I think it's 'odd' that the number he gave before [82-11-382-2759(Cellular)] is a cellular number. Oh well...

Quote:
Thanks for quick answer.
Here is information about the Post Office.

1412-2 Sillim-5dong, Gwanak-gu, Seoul, Korea
Gwanak-Post Office 151-015

Here is phone call.
82-2-889-0014 and 82-2-888-5234, or 82-11-382-2759(Cellular)

Here is the website.
http://151.epost.go.kr/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
actually I dont think that giving a mobile phone could be odd. It might be advertised on the site to directly call the manager. now you have the address you can find out if everything lines up.

And I am with daniel, give him the benefit of the doubt, alot of big stuff ups happens, so do your research, but have it in your mind that he is telling the truth until proven otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, but you know how it goes : would you remain 'calm' [so to say] if this would happen to you?
Breathe in, breathe out! There there... I feel a lot better all of a sudden
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corruption is not unheard of, and South Korea doesn't have a great reputation in that regard, as I understand it. It is entirely possible that he is a victim of corruption. I see the 0014 number on that web site--if you can reach the relevant person at that number, I'd say his story checks out for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
Breathe in, breathe out! There there... I feel a lot better all of a sudden

Remember, it is only money and games. The worst that happens is you have a bit less of one or both of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
Daniel, you're absolutely right, I had the same opinion just until last week : I don't really live my life with suspicion in the back of my head yet what would you think if I you ended up receiving the info from a major post office [some very helpful lady over there who spoke English flawlessly] that this item doesn't have any 'charges' associated to it? Yes, it sounds ludicrous that there would be false numbers and all that but to be honest : I don't really know what to think of this anymore.

He sent this mail a few minutes ago : the investigation commences I won't start saying that I think it's 'odd' that the number he gave before [82-11-382-2759(Cellular)] is a cellular number. Oh well...

Quote:
Thanks for quick answer.
Here is information about the Post Office.

1412-2 Sillim-5dong, Gwanak-gu, Seoul, Korea
Gwanak-Post Office 151-015

Here is phone call.
82-2-889-0014 and 82-2-888-5234, or 82-11-382-2759(Cellular)

Here is the website.
http://151.epost.go.kr/

Actually, cell phones are not just an accessory, it is a required device. Just about everyone has one and is used as a database, watching TV, playing games, telling time, accessing internet, and text messaging (very popular form of communication). Korea is known as a cell phone nation. Hell, even I felt naked without a cellphone when I visited Korea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience when i bought a parcel from a BGG member located in Korea:

He notified me that he sent the package by Airmail. I waited and waited. Two and a half months later and after a couple of emails between us i decided to do a search at the Customs Office.

It took me a week, but guess what? The package was there for about two months and nobody bothered to notify me or send it back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
customs
customs
they charged ..they got no money..after a while they sent it back.......this is the reason of the fee
parcel comin from outside eec

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that any post office would eat the cost to ship back a package. In my experience, it is always sent back at the original poster's expense. That could account for the extra charge.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever had any experience to the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll only add this: I know from my work experience that Korea in general isn't exactly looking at good faith in dealings the same way others do. Things like ignoring contractual obligations on huge multi-million dollar deals.

Having said that, if there's something fishy going on, it might not be the seller, but someone at the post office. It would not be totally unheard of for a local manager, or even an single postal worker, to come up with a scam to bring in some extra income. Postal HQ would still give out the official word as to what's what, while the local villian is pretty free to add in some "local charges."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had years of experience in shipping overseas, the only problems I have had are the South Ameircan countries, I have done several deals in Korea with no problems.

I did have a package come to me from Hong Kong one time, it was a $200 item and I never got the package, I contacted the seller in Hong Kong and he assured me he sent it, after over a month I thought for sure I was getting swindled, but then he emailed to say that the package was returned to him because of an error on the ZIP CODE. He apologized and after checking and seeing that the problem was HIS fault, he reshipped it to me and I got it the following week.

HE DID have to PAY for return shipping to him, once it arrived in the USA and our postal people couldnt figure out one number in the zip was wrong, they shipped it back and he had to pay the return postage. So he actually paid to have it shipped THREE TIMES. If it was my fault and I had given him the wrong zip code I would have offered to pay.

I hope that helpes.

Oh, one other time I sent a bunch of games to Austrailia, he never got the package and I had no way to track it after it had left the USA, so I refunded his money... SIX MONTHS later (after I completely forgot about it) the person in Austrailia sent me a nice note to let me know the package finally arrived to him and he repayed me for the items... There was nothing on the box to explain the delay, and he could see from my postmark that it was sent six months earlier when I had told him it was...

So anything can happen when so many people have their hands on something like this. I often wonder how many packages are 'set aside' and forgotten about for days or weeks, or get dropped off the side of a desk, or slide under a seat, or whatever.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I thought there wouldn't be any replies but coming back to this thread, I was amazed to see it grow so unexpectedly And with good tips / stories and pieces of advice : I can only thank all of you for putting the time AND effort in posting something. It has certainly helped. I will just pay the seller and settle with it.

thanks again all!!!
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.