Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game (still in the shrink wrap). I'm really looking forward to it, no matter how long each game takes (BGG says "45 minutes", and I'm totally good with that). However, I was looking back at some old Rahdo videos, and RftG made his Top Ten Fillers! Rahdo made it clear that, by "filler", he meant games which could be pulled from the shelf, set up, played, put away, and put back on the shelf within 30 minutes!

Those of you who've played it a lot, what can you tell me about playtime? Is it really playable in 20 minutes (+10 minutes for set-up and take-down)?? That would be really awesome, since I need some variety in my lunchtime games.

Again, I'm totally good with it lasting 45 minutes or even an hour; but it would be really great if it were a sub-30-minute game.

Let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with two, and definitely finish in 30 or less, more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play this, the less I feel compelled to keep it due to my aversion of fillers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
(+10 minutes for set-up and take-down)??

Really ? One zipbag for each kind of component, each player around the table grab a bag and empty/give out to players and it's really quick.

And then, if each player plays without waiting others to say a phase is complete (or each one saying "I have finished my [phase]") the game goes quick and smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
30 total is definitely possible. Plano box for the dice helps speed up setup - then it only takes like 2 minutes. Take the tiles out of the bag and forming 2-4 stacks (with a starting tile on top as a cover). Players then choose a stack to draw during Scout, and put their discards on the bottom. Speeds up a lot the only slow part of the game (waiting for the bag to be passed). The expansion also speeds the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Is it really playable in 20 minutes (+10 minutes for set-up and take-down)??

Set up/take down is under 5 minutes total. There's not much to do - dump the dice, tile bag, and VP tokens in the middle of the table, everyone grab starting dice and tiles, deal everyone a faction card, deal everyone a homeworld, give everyone a shield, a playmat, and an assign strip. Take down is shove stuff in three bags, then drop everything in box.

Play time I find is around 30 minutes with players who don't AP, maybe half again that with someone AP prone. This is based on typically 4-5 player games, so I don't know if 2 player would be quicker. We're also playing evenings, so we aren't trying to be fast.

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, total playtime is around 30 minutes; it's maybe worth pointing out that thanks to simultaneous actions and virtually no downtime, player count doesn't affect playtime all that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group, 45 minutes is more realistic, sometimes 1 hour. That's for 3-4 players. Explore slows the game quite a bit. It's definitely longer than race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to look up records when I get a chance, but IIRC, my playtimes were around 45 minutes average for both experienced players and newbies.

It helps to have a visual system (you'll have to devise one yourself) where when players are ready to move on within a phase (e.g. done exploring, developing, etc.) so that you'll know to wait for those still decision making, but can go on when everyone's done, and you're not waiting around needlessly for nothing.

Hmm, maybe some sort of 2 sided stand or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sec Ret
Sweden
flag msg tools
You can just agree to hurry up and limit your decision making to a minute och half a minute or whatever it takes. This is a good brain exercise also I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galehar wrote:
In my group, 45 minutes is more realistic, sometimes 1 hour. That's for 3-4 players. Explore slows the game quite a bit. It's definitely longer than race.

I find this to be the case also, but in my group since it plays so fast we'll often squeeze in an extra game outside the scheduled games for that evening.

With the Broken Token insert we can get this game on and off the table in about 2 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
From recollection Rhado generally plays two player, so 30 minutes sounds fine. With more people it will take longer and some people are slower than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
From recollection Rhado generally plays two player, so 30 minutes sounds fine. With more people it will take longer and some people are slower than others.

Yeah, totally. For us, we can get a 2p game done (including setup & teardown) in 20 minutes. But that's because we've played it a lot, and we trust each other to do stuff simultaneously, and we can just hit a groove so well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Yeah, totally. For us, we can get a 2p game done (including setup & teardown) in 20 minutes. But that's because we've played it a lot, and we trust each other to do stuff simultaneously, and we can just hit a groove so well

Played our first game, and loved it. It took a long time, but I'm sure we'll find our groove over the next few plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Played our first game, and loved it. It took a long time, but I'm sure we'll find our groove over the next few plays

The expansion offers even more though at a cost of adding a little time I am sure.

Glad you liked it...personally think its the best 30-45min game out there and is >> Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.