7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunter in adjacent room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Just to make sure we're playing this right: if there is a Hunter monster in a room adjacent to an investigator, in the enemy phase it will move to the investigator, engage and attack -- without anything the investigator can do to prevent it, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just short of dodging or playing a disengage card, yes, you are playing this correctly. it's the main purpose that hunters move before all enemies resolve attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
without anything the investigator can do to prevent it, correct?

Your main opportunity to prevent it already came and went when you decided to end your turn adjacent to the Hunter. You could have moved elsewhere, killed him, exhausted him, etc..., but you didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iGniGhted wrote:
just short of dodging or playing a disengage card, yes, you are playing this correctly. it's the main purpose that hunters move before all enemies resolve attacks.

Or Barricade. I look forward to the opportunity to actually use Barricade, rather than committing it to a test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Correct, though there can be options.

Consider Agnes in the Hallway and a Swarm of Rats in the Attic. Agnes has Forbidden Knowledge in play, unexhausted.

There's a player window in the enemy phase for free triggers (lightning symbol). The window is after Hunter enemies move but before they attack. The rats move into Agnes's location, she triggers Forbidden Knowledge and takes a horror, allowing her to kill the rat before it can do deal its damage.

In that same enemy phase window, Beat Cop can be used similarly to apply 1 damage and Stray Cat can be used to apply evade effects against non-elites.

Typically though, yes, what you're describing is the correct behaviour of hunter enemies. Evading out the scenario 1 boss and then moving away from that location buys you a little time, but if you stay in that adjacent location and leave the boss unacconted for, it is going to be able to follow you in there and do you a mischief on the following turn. The expectation I suppose is that, in being aware of this predictable behaviour and consequence, the player must take it into consideration. Moving back in to the boss's location in the following turn so it engages you, then re-evading it might be the correct play for example, or taking that brief respite to add some damage/horror soak, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot to everyone!

dboeren wrote:
Your main opportunity to prevent it already came and went when you decided to end your turn adjacent to the Hunter.

Yes, of course. Sometimes there just is no real choice. I just had the situation that I could, with my last action, either move into the room with the Ghoul Priest (and get attacked) or use that action to equip a weapon and wait for it (which I did). Of course you could argue that I made a mistake before to let it come to this situation, but... you know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.