1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Thing in the Woods (fanmade) - Ready to Print and Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Ready to Print and Play for playtesters. I have tested it quite a bit and refined a lot of things. The scenario is challenging but not un-beatable.

Tips: Do not read if you want to go in blind.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

If players let Wilbur escape to Whately farm, it gets really challenging so don't let that happen! Parley a Wild Dogs to use it to slow Wilbur down.

Other tips, be sure to take Dr. Armitage to Sentinel Hill with you to fight Wizard Whately as fight checks against him use willpower and not fight.

Feast of crows is designed to swoop in on Investigators, then they test agility (3). If they fail, it eats the top two cards of your deck. If you fail any check against it, including this one, it is placed in an adjacent location. Since it has hunter, this becomes a real nuisance. The only way to kill it is to pass the agility test to keep it in your threat area. I think agility 3 might be a bit much though, so feel free to make it 2 if you like.

Here are the pdfs and rules.

Printable 24x24 Dunwich Town Map

• [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Copenhaver
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should put everything except your first 3 sentences and the file links in a spoiler box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Copenhaver101 wrote:
You should put everything except your first 3 sentences and the file links in a spoiler box.

Lol, I can't remember what the markup code is for it. Do you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very professional, I look forward to trying it out.

Did I overlook it or is the hard/expert side of the scenario card missing?

spectrehorseman wrote:
Copenhaver101 wrote:

Lol, I can't remember what the markup code is for it. Do you know?

It's the button two to the right of "insert geek link" or you can type "o"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I didn't make a hard mode as this scenario is plenty hard as it is. I may need to change the cultist chaos token to something else. Any and all ideas are welcome once you get into playing it.

please note: you can't just use the core miskatonic and rivertown cards as I did change the location icons on those. But you do need the Acolyte and Screeching Byakhee from the core set.

Also, forgot to add the image for the playmat. Added link in OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really good. After I'm familiar with and have played the core set, I will print these! Are you planning on making agenda/act cards? Or am I missing something?

Furthermore, just being a smarta**: it's Dunwich, not DunwHich, as some card say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
cwb1977 wrote:
This looks really good. After I'm familiar with and have played the core set, I will print these! Are you planning on making agenda/act cards? Or am I missing something?

Furthermore, just being a smarta**: it's Dunwich, not DunwHich, as some card say

lol yeah, I thought I fixed all those

I didn't want to make act/agenda cards until people have playtested it. They may not be set in stone yet. But you can find them in the rules document.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
cwb1977 wrote:

lol yeah, I thought I fixed all those

I didn't want to make act/agenda cards until people have playtested it. They may not be set in stone yet. But you can find them in the rules document.

One often overlooks those kind of typo's I reckon. And I've seen the rules with act/agenda, just thought it would be cool to have those as cards also! But I see your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was mentioned already, but I will reiterate: You should throw all of the tips and stuff after the 3rd sentence into spoiler tags, labeled tips or some such, as going into a scenario as blind as possible makes it more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
brendover wrote:
It was mentioned already, but I will reiterate: You should throw all of the tips and stuff after the 3rd sentence into spoiler tags, labeled tips or some such, as going into a scenario as blind as possible makes it more exciting.

thanks, fixed. I misread your first post on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway you can put this on Artcow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

Or at least link to the individual JPGs so we can print it via ArtsCow, CowCow, Promters Studio or one of the other online services?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
N0mE wrote:

Or at least link to the individual JPGs so we can print it via ArtsCow, CowCow, Promters Studio or one of the other online services?
yes, this! please and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I will look into it. I have to work next 4 days though, so gonna be awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to get the map image to open. Is it just me? Claims there are errors in the document. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
notrub wrote:
I can't seem to get the map image to open. Is it just me? Claims there are errors in the document. Thanks in advance for any help.

It loads fine for me when I click the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Spectre, I just recorded a first playtest. I stopped after an hour but I think I ran into a healthy amount of things that need attention. Are you okay if I upload the video as unlisted (so it won't show up on the channel) and share it with you, or link it in this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Noaloha wrote:
Spectre, I just recorded a first playtest. I stopped after an hour but I think I ran into a healthy amount of things that need attention. Are you okay if I upload the video as unlisted (so it won't show up on the channel) and share it with you, or link it in this thread?

By all means, do post up the video. This is what I needed playtesters for. A fresh set of eyes to spot logical errors and things that aren't very clear in the act/agendas; which was the hardest part to design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I figured hearing a playtester's thoughts out loud as they interpret the cards as presented would be useful for you, plus it would allow for a more complete documenting of all notable occurrences than it would me trying to take notes during a playthrough or recall everything afterwards (plus, time of year etc. -- free time is really short right now and jotting down a complete list of observations is in itself a time-gobbling activity.

Disclaimer going in: I have a remarkably consistent track record up to now of getting at least one rule wrong in every recorded playthrough of AHtcg. So, with that in mind, some of the bumps I run into could well just be me not noticing something, forgetting a thing, etc.

I finished after about an hour because I felt like I'd hit a game state where circumstances weren't as intended and any further play wouldn't necessarily be useful as a reflection of the scenario's balance and design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
thanks, watching now. Although I won't be able to finish as I'm about to head into work. Will get back to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
On Feast of Crows, the card you have is the wrong one. I though I updated it. It should read as follows.

Hunter.

Forced - When Feast of Crows engages you, test agility (2). If you fail, reveal the top two cards of your library and remove them from the game. If a skill is revealed, suffer 1 damage. If a weakness if revealed, instead, put it into play.

Reaction - If you fail a skill test against Feast of Crows, place it in an adjacent location.

It definitely needs proper formatting. The way I want it to work is it swoops in on you, you try to evade, if you fail, it eats the top two cards of your deck then flies off to another location. Because it has hunter, it keeps coming after you. You have to pass the agility test to keep it in your threat area so you can kill it.

Wild Dogs - Is missing the ally health and sanity values. You are correct, you can only use the other abilities if it is your ally.

Thanks for pointing these out, I totally messed up the wording.

Yes, you spawn the locations and the allies after advancing the first act. Thanks for pointing out the location symbol errors.

Dr. Morgan and Dr. Armitage need ally slot symbols.

When Wilbur concealed form moves, he always moves towards Miskatonic. It should probably read

Action. Test Fight (3). If you succeed, gain one clue from Wilbur.
Forced - After performing a skill test against Wilbur, move him one location towards Miskatonic.
At the start of the Enemy phase, move Wilbur one location towards Miskatonic.

The theme here is you are trying to interrogate him and he is getting nervous and moving on to Miskatonic.

I made it to about 40 min. and will finish the rest on Saturday. Thanks for this, it is a huge help. To everyone, hold off on printing until I can update this over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
That's a much friendlier crow! You should probably specify 'after your fail a skill test, place in adjacent...' Then the card removal happens before it moves away.

The new Wilbur(concealed) text will definitely help. Hope it fits on teh card though!

Should there be instructions for what to do to Wilbur(concealed) if you spawn Wilbur(true)? I didn't see any. My assumption would be that Wilbur(concealed) gets discarded. But then, removing Wilbur(concealed) leaves Act 2 without a valid objective. (It's actually been a long ass time since I read Dunwich, so maybe I'm misremembering the Wilbur character's details.)

The wild dog's ability that stops enemies from moving. If I understand correctly, this can't be used to protect against crows and it can't be used to stop Wilbur from moving. Or do I have that wrong?

The spend clues or specimens at Wilbur's location objective thing for Act2. Is it correct that this is not a group spend?

And just to clarify, nothing actually happens if Wilbur reaches the University?

Also, there's definitely only one -4 token in that chaos bag right? Certain there's no secret ones? Confirm/deny. Because, even though I checked, it felt like I had a handful.

And glad to help! I think the *very* first versions of something like this will always have those mistakes that the designer is completely blind to because everything works in their head. I look forward to the next iteration with some of those obvious-to-you things ironed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Is the intention here that the Dunwich Horror completely heals itself every time it phases out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Noaloha wrote:
That's a much friendlier crow! You should probably specify 'after your fail a skill test, place in adjacent...' Then the card removal happens before it moves away.

The new Wilbur(concealed) text will definitely help. Hope it fits on teh card though!

Should there be instructions for what to do to Wilbur(concealed) if you spawn Wilbur(true)? I didn't see any. My assumption would be that Wilbur(concealed) gets discarded. But then, removing Wilbur(concealed) leaves Act 2 without a valid objective. (It's actually been a long ass time since I read Dunwich, so maybe I'm misremembering the Wilbur character's details.)

The wild dog's ability that stops enemies from moving. If I understand correctly, this can't be used to protect against crows and it can't be used to stop Wilbur from moving. Or do I have that wrong?

The spend clues or specimens at Wilbur's location objective thing for Act2. Is it correct that this is not a group spend?

And just to clarify, nothing actually happens if Wilbur reaches the University?

Also, there's definitely only one -4 token in that chaos bag right? Certain there's no secret ones? Confirm/deny. Because, even though I checked, it felt like I had a handful.

And glad to help! I think the *very* first versions of something like this will always have those mistakes that the designer is completely blind to because everything works in their head. I look forward to the next iteration with some of those obvious-to-you things ironed out.

Ideally, Wilbur True and Concealed form just need to be one card and then you flip it. The best strategy for the scenario is to reveal Wilbur true form at Miskatonic so that he has the most distance to travel to whately farm. And you use the wild dogs to slow him down. He readys, disengages, then moves at the end of the enemy phase. Yes wild dogs cannot be used to stop wilbur concealed as he is not an enemy. I should change the wording on wild dogs to something like

Free Action: Deal 1 damage to wild dogs and exhaust it. Target monster cannot move during the enemy phase.

As for the issues with having no reason to advance the act, this is covered in the agenda if it advances. At the end it will say something like "If it is act 1 or 2, go to act 3. Because the goal in act 3 is to kill Wilbur before he reaches home. Which brings in even more headache for fighting the dunwich horror later as it gets more health from Wilbur's chantings.

I don't know about the -4 thing, it did seem to happen to me too. We better have a look in there, lol. It was just the standard set up from the gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ddavbro Ddavbro
France
flag msg tools
mb
Great work!
I would really like to play it out. Though, before printing out anything, I've had a look at the cards and here are some questions I've had:

- Country Farm: there are two "locked" sides to the card so the "revealed" side seems to be missing, as well as the corresponding text.

- Seth Bishop's Farm: the "locked" side seems to be missing.

Am I right?

Could it also be possible for you to include the backs of the traditional encounter cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.