Subject: Solid, Short Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
badge
Do or do not, there is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview

Syzygy is a tile-laying word game where each player attempts to use all their tiles by intersecting words at 90 degree angles and share one common letter (as in scrabble).

(A nice image by Dorian Hart)

Components

You get some plastic tiles in a box with some rules. The letter tiles resemble scrabble letters. There are wild tiles which show a sun, earth, and moon (a syzygy, of course) which may substitute for any letter. Mischa Krilov uploaded a letter frequency chart available for download under files.

How to Play

The tiles are placed face down in the middle of the playing surface, flat being preferable. Each player begins by drawing 9 tiles from which they build their own network of words. As soon as a player uses all letter tiles, they call out "Draw", after which each player takes one face-down tile from the draw pile.

Players may, at any time, rearrange any or all of their tiles to create new words.

If a wild tile is used as an intersecting tile, it must play the same letter for each word.

Endgame

The game ends when the draw pile is exhausted and a player is able to utilize all their tiles. The player is promptly declared the winner and is paraded around the room on the shoulders of all the rest of the players...

What do I Think?

It is quite an interesting game that some friends of ours brought over to play and we were able to play a few rounds. It plays quickly and is nice in the fact that it is a game of letter utilization as opposed to vocabulary or strategy based.

Clearly, there is less strategy and depth than scrabble, but then again I don't really like scrabble. This played fast, and for me, that is a good trait for a word game.

If you've played Syzygy, put up some of your thoughts!

Overall, I would play the game again. It is a very quick game and may allow the non-scrabble players to compromise with the scrabble-holics and meet somewhere in the middle.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.