Transformers 3D Battle Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Not worthy to stand among other CSGs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting for other players to arrive for our weekly Pirates game, my friend and I heard the Transformers CSG display box calling us. Having nothing to do but wait, we decided to buy a booster pack.

Each pack comes with 2 Transformers, one Decepticons and one Autobots, 6 attack tokens, stat cards for the Transformers, and 2 tracking clips.

The Transformers need to be assembled from pieces that need to be punched out of the plastic cards. The plastic cards seem to be more flexible then the ones used in Pirates (by WizKids). There are much more tidly bits than Pirates and was much more difficult to piece the parts together. It was also time consuming. It took us about 15 minutes or so to put the pieces together for each vehicle. Each and every piece is used in both robot and vehicle form. The plastic pieces seem to be much more flexible because unlike Pirates, I applied a lot of pressure trying to snap some of the pieces together and the little ends didn't break. The robot forms looked very flat and unflattering.

Gameplay

Each figure comes with its stat card. One side has stats for the vehicle form and the other side has info for the robot form. Each form has 3 abilities, one of which is the transformation mode. Each card also has the hitpoints for each form of the model and is tracked using a tracking clip on the side of the card.

There are only 2 distances in this game: short and long range. Each figure starts off in vehicle mode st long range from another. This is indicated by the 2 vehicles being apart from each other. Battles are fought in rounds . Each round consists of 4 steps that must be done in order.

1. Choose an attack. Each form has 3 possible attacks colored red, green , and blue. Each player chooses one of the attack tokens that correspond to the type of attack you wish to unleash and hides it his hand.

2. Reveal attack. Both players open their hand to reveal an attack token.

3. Do damage. Each attack has a color and their target color. If your opponent chose that target color, your opponent is hit and damage is dealt. Hit points are tracked separately for each form. If one form receives damage before transforming, the damage is not carried over to the new form.

4. Do effects. Text of the same color as the type of attack take effect whether you hit your opponent or not. Text of the same color as the target color takes efffect if the target is hit.

You win when your opponent's figure is reduced to zero hitpoints.

Critical hits are determined first by both players revealing the same color tokens and second by whoever has the lowest hitpoints. That model than does its crit and any special effects that go along with crit.

Range is indicated by either the 2 models being next to each other (short range) or apart from each other (long range). Simply move your figure next to an enemey model for short range and keep them apart for long range. Beyond that, there is no movement measurement.

Conclusion.

There is nothing exciting about this game. There is no tactical movement. Combat is a rock, paper, scissor method of determining an outcome. I found this simplistic nature of combat to be ridiculous and boring. The fact that it'll take you a while to take apart the pieces to reassemble the pieces in its alternate form during gameplay is not worth the trouble. In fact, you don't even need the figures to play the game. You just need the stat cards. There is no parts to remove to indicate damage. Damage is indicated on the stat card.

In short, this game is boring, ridiculous, too simplistic, and visually unflattering. Feel free to throw in any other negative adjective, and more than likely will describe this game. If you're into collecting anything Transformers related than it might be worthwhile for its novelty, otherwise those looking for a decent gameplay should stay clear of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Has "wallet raper" been 'used' as of yet? What about "time & money succubus"? perhaps even "trendy hos bag-'O'-crapfest"?
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben harvey
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
devil I declare war on you sir and your nations of cheesey, cheap card game hater

laugh some games can be good by being bad! (its all in the poeple you play with).. if your the kind of person who quietly waits and stratagizes and after some time, makes a move and say a few to no words to make you sure your oppenent knows what your doing. But if your the kind of guy who likes a farce, engages in trash talk and self pity and enjoys making the radio commentary for the game while its being played. Then anything can be fun laugh

I geuss my friend is funnier then you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but I'll use one of my Transformers as cannon fodder. Hey, he's expandible! arrrh

I choose you, Bumblebee! Go forth and lay waste to our neighbor, the nation of cheesy, cheap cardgame lovers. If you happen to not come back, well, I can't say I'll miss you! robot

OK, I chose a battle token. You, sir, must choose your vehicle and battle token.

Now I know why they applied for the patent. They knew theirs were crap and would not hold up to Pirates. Their only chance of success, and it's a slim one at that, is to be the only CSG on the market. In all seriousness, though, I doubt the license will save this semblence of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw the concept, I thought it would be really a gamebreaker to transform in mid game. Who wants to bother with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Hasbro/WotC got the rights for Star Wars CCGs, they made an absolutely terrible, rancid little strategy-free dicefest. So seeing that this Pirates-knock-off is similarly strategy-lite is not terribly surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Viddal
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Eustace
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably better bang for your buck to use the similar rules with real Transformers figures. I won't bother with the CSG when I can get a 3-pack of mini-Transformers for $5, which look much better than the card models and are not blind-buy.

Have a good one!
Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the central part to the game is not the figures but the stat cards of the figures. That is where all the necessary information is contained in order to play the game. The figures are mere visual eye candy for the game. Nothing more. There is no distance measurement so you don't have to worry about placement of models beyond whether they are next to each other or not. No damage indicator on the models. Everything needed is on the stat cards as well as the card containing the attack tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hunt
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sum up the game as rock, paper, sissors with eye candy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
baronricks wrote:
You can sum up the game as rock, paper, sissors with eye candy.

I thought it only counted as "eye candy" if it was nice to look at. This is more like "eye cod-liver oil," or "eye broccoli."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.