Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The boy and I are enjoying this game. For us it has all the pluses we've found in prior co-op LCG such as LotR without the negative (for us) of constant deck building.

Today we approached the final base campaign scenario "The Devourer Below." Playing on easy, we had done well in the previous (second) scenario so didn't face an overwhelming disadvantage coming into the third.

First turn, predicable placing of equipment and moving on to uncover new locations.

Second turn, and first mythos phase of the game. The boy is Roland Banks the lead investigator. He draws the first encounter card. The resulting chaos chit pull is an insta kill.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Encounter card was Rotting Remains. -1 horror damage for each point his 3 mind failed against a 3 mind check. With a base mind value of only five, he drew the scenario's special -5 chaos token. goo

I suffer through my own chaos draw and immediately resign in ignoble defeat!

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not believe anything under 0 counts. I.E. if you have a base of 3, testing a 3, and pull the -5, it only negates you to 0, thus you only loose 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you can never go below 0 on a test. So Rotting Remains will never do more than 3 horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Edit: Clearly, from the comments below, I am wrong and am unintentionally spreading confusion. Apologies for this and thanks for setting me straight !) Also, it is NOT a "kill". The first time you run out of health you are "Wounded" and the first time you run out of Sanity ("horror?") you acquire a mental trauma. In both cases, you get rid of all face-down damage or horror and continue playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Also, it is NOT a "kill". The first time you run out of health you are "Wounded" and the first time you run out of Sanity ("horror?") you acquire a mental trauma. In both cases, you get rid of all face-down damage or horror and continue playing.

Perhaps i have misinterpreterd your post, but if you loose all health/sanity during a scenario you are eliminated from that scenario. The Trauma gets added moving forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Also, it is NOT a "kill". The first time you run out of health you are "Wounded" and the first time you run out of Sanity ("horror?") you acquire a mental trauma. In both cases, you get rid of all face-down damage or horror and continue playing.

You are referencing a house rule here which I believe mimics some of the mechanics in Mansion of Madness. In the rules, suffering full physical or mental damage points means that Investigator is defeated. They are not necessarily killed, you have to refer to resolution texts to know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

You're thinking of Mansions of Madness 2. This is a different game, and you get knocked out when your sanity or health hits it's limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many apologies for spreading my confusion, everyone ! I'll edit immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Correct, you can never go below 0 on a test. So Rotting Remains will never do more than 3 horror.

We didn't die horribly? Well that's a relief!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Robrob wrote:

There's always a next time for that. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

Well, we're not really saying that, it's more that you didn't die horribly yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.