Subject: Can a Tank be suppressed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
(I don't have the game in front of me so I'm going from memory)

I just played Just Another Day mission (shorty)/Tank Destroyer objective.
Taking out a German PzIV.

I was looking through all the keywords on the tank, and didn't see anything that indicated a tank had any special treatment regarding suppression.

Is that true?

So even though it has a cover value of '8', if you still hit it with your M1, it takes a suppression token?
That seems odd.

{If you're curious how it ended, Kasinski moved up with an advance card by himself into the objective location. Got the Rocket Launcher out and read any warning labels having to do with backblast, and possibly advisement on which direction to point it. Played a Camo card to bypass the screening Snipers. Played the card that sets your cover die roll to '6'. Played the card that allows you to add +2 [nope, +4, exp spent, up that gun, kaching!] to your attack rolls.
Result. 'Splosion. Big. Fiery. Kaboom. Victory. Let's go home boys. (thankfully you don't have to get back to base...)}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By the rules it can be suppressed, but I house rule it can only be suppressed if It can be killed by the shot.So I play that an M1 could not cause a KIA so no suppression a bit like you cannot use self defence against a vehicle.
But I have killed a cover 8 tank with a M1 rifle used silver bullet 10/6 penetration 1 10/7 a lucky shot 11/8 and an attack card extra kill. The way to think of it is not that I destroyed the tank, but that I killed its commander and it withdraws from the combat.
Normal suppression of the tank could be thought of as forcing them to button up or damaging their periscopes making it difficult for them to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is surprisingly easy to Suppress a real AFV at close range - just a few rounds (or even the threat of a few) will have the vehicle crew close up and seriously consider getting out of there.. unless they have infantry support - because no tread head is comfortable when the enemy isn't at 1000m and you have the drop on him!

"killing" the tank with a rifle is harder...
(not actually impossible - shoot any crewman who is exposed and the tank is less able to deal with a small number of soldiers at close range, shoot the TC and the tank may well drive off - which is as good as a kill for your mission success)

Your game outcome is completely consistent with the final moments of a large number of tank crews down the ages..

ps in the Raid mission you do have to get back to base!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a tank to be immune to suppression, give it the Fearless keyword.
Becomes a tough nut. I tend to evade most tanks anyway if I have the XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My uncle was in a mortar support unit in WW2, he told me a story once where they were giving support fire over a wood. A couple of hundred yards away a German tank came out of the woods. It fired a round at them which hit the ground nearby but didn't explode, so it was either a dud HE, or the tank only had AP left, or they had panicked and fired what was in the breech.

Anyway, cue many brown trousers in their unit, but also apparently in the tank, because having seen a load of mortars and support infantry, the tank backed off into the woods and disappeared off as quickly as it had appeared.

So they suppressed a tank without firing a shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the unit history for the 6th AIF Div Cav in Syria, one Renaunt R-35 was knocked out by the Vickers MkVIb bouncing .50 rounds from the front armour into the partially open drivers hatch - it only took a few such to get in to kill both crewmen.

There are records of the 14.5mm PTRS ATR being used to shoot in the vision blocks of Panthers - thus blinding them (or at least brown trousering the crew).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
If you want a tank to be immune to suppression, give it the Fearless keyword.
Becomes a tough nut. I tend to evade most tanks anyway if I have the XP.

MiB is that you?
From the KS comments page?
If so - welcome!
If not - welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
In the unit history for the 6th AIF Div Cav in Syria, one Renaunt R-35 was knocked out by the Vickers MkVIb bouncing .50 rounds from the front armour into the partially open drivers hatch - it only took a few such to get in to kill both crewmen.

There are records of the 14.5mm PTRS ATR being used to shoot in the vision blocks of Panthers - thus blinding them (or at least brown trousering the crew).

I saw one of those ATRs at Bovington Tankfest the other year. Incredible things. Apparently they could be fired on full auto...fairly inaccurately I would think. I guess they usually tried to take the tracks off. The guy who had bought it said that he didn't realise at the time that it was too long to fit entirely inside his large estate car!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.