New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have the following expansions.

Secret Wars Volume 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dark City
As well as both base sets

My question is around card mixing. I haven't played all of the card sets yet. However last week when using the Randomizer app I have we found ourselves with a bit of a broken deck. We had the infinity gems in our character deck. Unfortunately the Soul Gem came out almost right away and that player just took over the game. The stacking +1 just grew and grew and no one else stood a chance. Looking back we probably should have thrown in another card that effected artifacts or the gems. Now looking at my list do any players see any other possible run away issues that require another character or similar type to avoid that situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most cards, and expansion sets, play just fine together, but there are a few exceptions.

One of them, as you discovered, is the Infinty Gems. I make it a point to only include those if I am playing at least a couple Guardians heroes. I have played the gems without, but it just seems to work better to have the gems with heroes that can use shards and leverage the gems.

Another example is Spider Friends; many of them play off card costing 2 or less. They work very well off each other, but not so much mixed with other heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Not to my knowledge. For that matter, in most of my games against the Gems, an early Soul Gem manages to escape. When it is in a game and a deck takes it out, yes, it can be game-breaking, far more so than any other Gem. Heck, probably more so than any other three gems _combined_.

That said, I would be remiss to not take into account that a great many other bad guys also give some huge benefits too, though not to the extent of a deck nabbing the Soul Gem. Case in point, in games against Loki, a deck to beat up Ymir routinely has a big edge, to say nothing of whichever deck takes out the Destroyer, and there's only one of that, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lilkev wrote:
My question is around card mixing. I haven't played all of the card sets yet. However last week when using the Randomizer app I have we found ourselves with a bit of a broken deck. We had the infinity gems in our character deck. Unfortunately the Soul Gem came out almost right away and that player just took over the game. The stacking +1 just grew and grew and no one else stood a chance. Looking back we probably should have thrown in another card that effected artifacts or the gems.

First, to answer your base question: all the expansions blend together nicely. Some more so than others, but they all blend just fine.

Second, if I'm reading this correctly then you guys set up your game incorrectly. The Infinity Gems shouldn't be in the Hero Deck, they should be in the Villain Deck. Once you defeat one, it goes into your Discard pile to eventually be drawn into your hand. Once played it is an Artifact.

It's card's text reads:
Quote:
Artifact - Whenever you defeat a Villain, put a Shard on Soul Gem from the supply. Once per turn, you get + Attack equal to the number of Shards on Soul Gem.

The player that controlled that gem should only gain that bonus for every Villain they defeated, not every time a Villain was defeated.

All that said, if I misunderstood things and you guys played correctly, then I think you guys just ended up having one of those "one off" games that isn't normal. Give it another go and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
Lilkev wrote:
My question is around card mixing. I haven't played all of the card sets yet. However last week when using the Randomizer app I have we found ourselves with a bit of a broken deck. We had the infinity gems in our character deck. Unfortunately the Soul Gem came out almost right away and that player just took over the game. The stacking +1 just grew and grew and no one else stood a chance. Looking back we probably should have thrown in another card that effected artifacts or the gems.

First, to answer your base question: all the expansions blend together nicely. Some more so than others, but they all blend just fine.

Second, if I'm reading this correctly then you guys set up your game incorrectly. The Infinity Gems shouldn't be in the Hero Deck, they should be in the Villain Deck. Once you defeat one, it goes into your Discard pile to eventually be drawn into your hand. Once played it is an Artifact.

It's card's text reads:
Quote:
Artifact - Whenever you defeat a Villain, put a Shard on Soul Gem from the supply. Once per turn, you get + Attack equal to the number of Shards on Soul Gem.

The player that controlled that gem should only gain that bonus for every Villain they defeated, not every time a Villain was defeated.

All that said, if I misunderstood things and you guys played correctly, then I think you guys just ended up having one of those "one off" games that isn't normal. Give it another go and see what happens!

I'm not too sure of a reason that the Infinity Gems might be in the Hero deck either. Maybe a scheme? I dunno.

That being said, I agree that all the sets mix reasonably well. It seems that the big box sets mix better, while the small box sets rely on mechanism that make them pair better with stuff from that set. It might not happen too often, but you'll still come across with crazy/broken combinations, and other times where nothing seems to work. Usually this is not the case, but I think it's part of what makes the game so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I assumed he meant that they were Villains, but after beating them up they enter the decks, as they tend to do.

If someone just nabbed Soul Gem by paying seven Recruit it would be pretty extreme, especially if it cost nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Probably won't ever be in Marvel Legendary...
badge
I don't tell people what to do on their turn, I might as well be playing by myself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Soul Gem
Ambush: Soul Gem gains a Shard for each Villain in the city.
Fight: Put this into your discard pile as an Artifact.
Attack: 6
VP: 0
Sounds like that player was doing good anyways and with this artifact it just seemed to snowball from there. Not a bad investment early game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stoll
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yes sorry. I meant villain deck. Thank you all for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lilkev wrote:
Unfortunately the Soul Gem came out almost right away and that player just took over the game. The stacking +1 just grew and grew and no one else stood a chance. Looking back we probably should have thrown in another card that effected artifacts or the gems.

I just played out this same scenario (also with the randomizer) last week with a friend. First game, we got defeated by the last card of the villain deck. We played again and I was the lucky one with a ridiculous turn three (I think) Soul Gem, which led to me dominating the game from there on.

Now, in my experience, this occasional sort of swing isn't a drawback. Legendary isn't some tight, luckless Euro game. It's got some underlying storytelling that makes the odds falling in favor of one player an entertaining turn of events. We may grumble that it wasn't our fate to rise to power that particular game, but play often enough that it eventually comes around, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.