Thomas Gagniarre
France
Ermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... the title says it all ; For those who are interested in the specific period and conflict, how "1754" compares (as far as gameplay, mechanics, depth... are concerned) to AFAOS ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheVarangianGuard wrote:
... the title says it all ; For those who are interested in the specific period and conflict, how "1754" compares (as far as gameplay, mechanics, depth... are concerned) to AFAOS ?

I have played 1775 and 1812, but not 1754. So take my opinion with the appropriate level of credibility.

A Few Acres of Snow is a very different design from the 1754 series of games. I wouldn't try to compare them. I really enjoy A Few Acres of Snow, and I downright love 1775 and really enjoy 1812. But it's like comparing a cheese-steak sandwich to cheesecake. In spite of the names they're very different things.

From a depth perspective they're similar. The 1754 series games play 2, 3 and 4 players all equally well which is a plus. If I were to pick one of the two it would be 1754, but A Few Acres of Snow is a great design as well. Likely cheaper to pick up, I'd buy both in the aftermarket and get twice the game for the same price.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

A Few Acres of Snow is a very different design from the 1754 series of games. I wouldn't try to compare them. ,,, But it's like comparing a cheese-steak sandwich to cheesecake. In spite of the names they're very different things.

From a depth perspective they're similar. The 1754 series games play 2, 3 and 4 players all equally well which is a plus. .......

Yep. Similar thematic overlay.
Completely different game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because AFAOS is a deck builder, it captures the of trying to mount a big offensive. You might see what you want to do, but it takes a few turns to get the right cards into your hands.

the Birth of America series creates restrictions by having a hand of cards to work with similar to a card driven war game. The game is more open then AFAOS, but the cards create some challenge in trying to do what you want.

Unless they change the game significantly, I can't see them being anything alike. I will own both, but 1754 I suspect I will play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few acres of snow has a much broader time line. It feels like it starts well before the French and Indian War. Plus there is more to A few Acres of snow than combat. 1754 looks very similar to 1775 , which is a war game.

Deck builder vs card driven game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gagniarre
France
Ermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the fast answers ; that's what I suspected (very different games), but I have yet to try "1754" to find exactly HOW different they play... I got some hints through your answers (broader time line for AFAOS... Different mechanics to simulate uncertainty and restrictions... "1754" more WG and combat oriented than AFAOS, where ressource management should take a greater role etc...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheVarangianGuard wrote:
Thanks all for the fast answers ; that's what I suspected (very different games), but I have yet to try "1754" to find exactly HOW different they play... I got some hints through your answers (broader time line for AFAOS... Different mechanics to simulate uncertainty and restrictions... "1754" more WG and combat oriented than AFAOS, where ressource management should take a greater role etc...).

The 1812/1775 system feels much more like a simulation to me, with the added challenge of a limited number of available cards simulating "war cicumstances." AFAOS simulated this by deck building, where waiting to get the righ card combo simulates hitches to your strategic plan. This works, but it feels a little more abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.