M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
A post about strong language on Australia radio in the "do/don't show nipples thread" ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/168511/page/1 ) brought back a memory which is totally irrelevant to that thread, so I'll just post it here.

Some time ago I drove home from my work. As usual, I listened to the radio. Some (more religious) stations here are very ...considerate... about their language. Others, I think, swear abundantly just to provoke.

Anyways, former Spice Girl Mel (now solo) was interviewed on one of the latter stations. At one moment the DJ said something like: "And, Mel, what do you think about them? Or don't you give a f*k?"
[stunned silence]
Mel: "You said f*k?! Is it OK to say f*k on the Dutch radio?"
DJ: "Well f*k! You can say f*ker-die-f*k as f*king much as you f*king like on this f*king station! F*k! F*k! F*k me! But what DO you f*king think about your local football team?"
[short silence]
Mel [in a relieved sort of voice]: "Well f*k them! They're just a bunch of f*king losers!"

I laughed so hard I nearly drove off the roadlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I'm proud that you can say anything on dutch radio; I'm not so proud that DJs provoke every single foreign guest to swear on dutch radio (the above is just an example, it really happens a lot). It's just childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is it childish or is it something to be proud of?

yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Heh, entertaining!

I actually saw one of the Mels (Mel C the sporty one, not Mel X, the political one) play at the Metro theatre in Sydney. It was some music industry thing that I'd inherited a ticket for, so the audience consisted entirely of bald men in suits, me, and the two crazed Spice Girls fans who had secured the tickets.

It was mostly forgettable, but the one thing that stood out for me was the shitty life of session musicians. Here was Mel, having a karaoke-style sing, backed by some genius of the drumkit, forced to play a very slow amen break for an hour. The bassplayer, presumably of similar skill, looked bored as he went through the usual 12-bar blues variations, and the guitarist noodled unenthusiastically.

Where's the love, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.