Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Retail Version Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in purchasing this game, but I see there were some KS exclusive items. Am I going to be disappointed that I don't have these promos? Were any of the KS promos included in the Retail version of the game?

Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell from the KS page, there was no "exclusive" KS content. A number of stretch goals were packaged into an expansion; "The Nameless". Backers got it for free, but as far I know it will be available separately at retail.

It is hard for me to judge since I got the whole KS package, but I think you will have plenty of variety even before adding in the expansions. And the game is great.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The game is very complete without the KS stuff. I think it's 6 market template cards that let you randomize the market and 3 nemesis cards.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:
The game is very complete without the KS stuff. I think it's 6 market template cards that let you randomize the market and 3 nemesis cards.


that is correct. 3 double sided market set up cards to randomize market card values/costs (different from the randomizer cards already included) and 3 nemesis cards.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Nameless" expansion has 1 more mage, 2 more nemeses and 7 new card 'sets' (IE, 1 set = 5 or so copies of a single card).

The "Depths" expansion has 3 more mages, 1 more nemesis, and...I'm not sure how many card types. The KS page says 42 mage cards (gems, relics and spells) but I'm not sure how many card 'sets' that it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, the base game is awesome and massively replayable. I backed the KS and am glad I did, but I'm so pleased with this game that I think it's all icing on an amazing cake. I'm nowhere close to done trying the base game content but am also thrilled an expansion is in the works!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to comment a bit about replay ability in my review and tried to compare between retail and kickstarter.
You can find it here => Aeon's End not just another cooperative deckbuilder in the pack, but a pack leader among deckbuilders

I'll comment a bit more.
Nemesis, you'll get plenty of variety in the retail, these are al very different. Yes more is nice but you'll have alot of play from the retail box.

Mage's, these I also feel will offer you plenty of variety straight out the retail box. The added Mage's are cool most of them are a bit more special. But those from the retail box certainly are very cool aswell and it will be some time before you get tired of them.

Market cards, in the retail will be a very nice number of card sets. Mixing these up and then also taking into account the feel of a market changes from facing different Nemesis's, I think they offer a nice variety.
Imho from my experience with other deckbuilders these will probably be the first you would want more of, but that's still a bunch of plays you get to do first.

But you can just get the Aeon's End: The Depths expansion when you feel the need you want some more variety. And also Aeon's End: The Nameless was not exclusive so don't fear more content is available.

Aeon's End: Bane Sire is another thing coming in the future.
this is actually an entry for a promo, but another standalone expansion is in the pipeline.

Replay = endless.

Edit: my comparison on Kickstarter edition vs retail is mostly on number of cards especially concerning market cards, but that Imho shouldn't matter, al cards are very cool.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing this game, but I see there were some KS exclusive items. Am I going to be disappointed that I don't have these promos? Were any of the KS promos included in the Retail version of the game?

Thanks!


As other stated there were no real KS exclusive items. Yes, there were six promo cards, three of which were just boring "Suggestions how to sort the market" cards (think Dominion with three cards on how you COULD set up the game - nothing you'd be after, really). The other three cards were on nemeses Level 1,2,3 card respectively - you REALLY do not miss out on much here.


Having said that - go out and buy the retail version - it is an awesome game with tons of replayability - even "out of the box". Do do not even have to get the expansions. Buy the base game, give it a whirl and have fun! If it is your cup of tea, get the two expansions and you won't have missed a lot at all...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
It's a great cooperative deck builder. That's what matters and that's why I got it. Don't concern yourself with exclusives or promos.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:

Aeon's End: Bane Sire is another thing coming in the future.


The Bane Sire Promo is an alternate art version of a card in the base game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
Spukky wrote:

Aeon's End: Bane Sire is another thing coming in the future.


The Bane Sire Promo is an alternate art version of a card in the base game.


A tier 1 basic Nemesis minion card to be precise.

That being said, an unnamed stand-alone expansion is in the works. The developpers are actually looking for playtesters on these very forums
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing this game, but I see there were some KS exclusive items. Am I going to be disappointed that I don't have these promos? Were any of the KS promos included in the Retail version of the game?

Thanks!


As other stated there were no real KS exclusive items. Yes, there were six promo cards, three of which were just boring "Suggestions how to sort the market" cards (think Dominion with three cards on how you COULD set up the game - nothing you'd be after, really). The other three cards were on nemeses Level 1,2,3 card respectively - you REALLY do not miss out on much here.


Having said that - go out and buy the retail version - it is an awesome game with tons of replayability - even "out of the box". Do do not even have to get the expansions. Buy the base game, give it a whirl and have fun! If it is your cup of tea, get the two expansions and you won't have missed a lot at all...


OK,so I had no idea there were any promo cards. Oops! Out of curiosity, which are the three nemesis promo cards?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
menace - tier 1
gravity splinter - tier 2
world purge - tier 3
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the retail version and am very happy with it. But I'm not a completionist; I don't ever give a crap about promo cards or KS exclusives (not that there's anything wrong with caring; it's just not me). I think there is plenty of game in the retail base box the justify the price.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
menace - tier 1
gravity splinter - tier 2
world purge - tier 3


Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasty man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the big giant box on the kickstarter page that says not available in retail version which includes 1 breach mage 37 mage cards 2 bosses and their decks? i missed the KS but still had great interest in this game however when i saw this killed it for me as i want all of the bosses for replay purposes. is there another way to get these without having to sell a kidney for the money to buy it on ebay?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchase the expansions when they become available in retail. Only six randomizer cards are KS exclusives.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Telemicus wrote:
What about the big giant box on the kickstarter page that says not available in retail version which includes 1 breach mage 37 mage cards 2 bosses and their decks? i missed the KS but still had great interest in this game however when i saw this killed it for me as i want all of the bosses for replay purposes. is there another way to get these without having to sell a kidney for the money to buy it on ebay?


KS backers got their expansions early. The content you're referring to is The Nameless expansion which is not yet in retail.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.