Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear that I'm interpreting this correctly.

When traveling back to Gloomhaven after completing a scenario, there is no road event card drawn. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Bøttger
Denmark
flag msg tools
Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving an old thread.

When traveling directly to a scenario within the city of Gloomhaven from a scenario outside the city, does one resolve a road event or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If scenarios are linked then no road event. If scenarios aren't linked, then road event is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then a road event could be circumvented if you first travel to Gloomhaven the city from an outside scenario, do nothing, and then go to a city scenario that's linked to Gloomhaven. Seems cheapish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
It's perfectly reasonable, since the default thing to do is to go back to Gloomhaven for leveling up/shopping/doing city events. The linking of scenarios to other scenarios is probably more of a feature to make it a choice with pros and cons about whether to skip the Gloomhaven phase.

I would recommend doing a city event whenever you can anyway. They are mostly positive for you on average, and there are so many to get through that if you want any chance of seeing most of them, always do them between every unlinked scenario Also, if you want any chance of getting to high prosperity levels or a certain reputation, then city events are one of the main sources of prosperity/reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
If scenarios are linked then no road event. If scenarios aren't linked, then road event is necessary.

I don't think this is right. You don't do a road event for scenarios in GH. You don't do road events after scenarios outside of GH. I don't see how you reached your conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:

I don't think this is right. You don't do a road event for scenarios in GH. You don't do road events after scenarios outside of GH. I don't see how you reached your conclusion.

But it is correct, because scenarios in Gloomhaven are explicitly linked to Gloomhaven. I was giving a general answer, and plus, the question was for about going from a scenario outside of Gloomhaven to a scenario inside of Gloomhaven; a scenario to a scenario requires a road event if they aren't linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is kind of weird actually.

Typically travelling from one scenario to the next requires a road event, but for scenarios inside Gloomhaven (when starting in Gloomhaven) don't require a road event.

If you're not returning to Gloomhaven to shop/level up but going straight to the next scenario there is some argument for having to do a road event.

However, since you're not required to do a road event to visit Gloomhaven after an adventure, I'd rule that there's no road event even when travelling from outside the city. But that doesn't mean your group can't do one if they want to house rule it - as road events typically have negative effects it isn't like you're making it easier on yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonKurenai wrote:
This is kind of weird actually.

Typically travelling from one scenario to the next requires a road event, but for scenarios inside Gloomhaven (when starting in Gloomhaven) don't require a road event.

If you're not returning to Gloomhaven to shop/level up but going straight to the next scenario there is some argument for having to do a road event.

However, since you're not required to do a road event to visit Gloomhaven after an adventure, I'd rule that there's no road event even when travelling from outside the city. But that doesn't mean your group can't do one if they want to house rule it - as road events typically have negative effects it isn't like you're making it easier on yourself.

That's a good way to explain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take this one step further. Say a party goes directly from an outside scenario to a scenario within Gloomhaven. If there were any characters eligible to level up or retire, would they be required to do so if: 1. They chose to do a Road event thus sort of circumventing the city? And 2. They chose not to do a Road event thus momentarily entering the Gloomhaven part of the game before going to the new scenario?

The question better worded might be, can you avoid "returning to Gloomhaven" if you're going straight to a scenario located within Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
Let's take this one step further. Say a party goes directly from an outside scenario to a scenario within Gloomhaven. If there were any characters eligible to level up or retire, would they be required to do so if: 1. They chose to do a Road event thus sort of circumventing the city? And 2. They chose not to do a Road event thus momentarily entering the Gloomhaven part of the game before going to the new scenario?

The question better worded might be, can you avoid "returning to Gloomhaven" if you're going straight to a scenario located within Gloomhaven?

Theoretically you could avoid doing city events and maybe even leveling up by going direct to the scenario. There's a lot of 'can' and 'may' thrown around in the Visiting Gloomhaven part of the rules.

You cannot avoid retirement however - the rules specifically state that those who have finished their personal quests cannot go on new scenarios. They will return to town and wrap up their business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple summary:

If you have just visited Gloomhaven and are going to a new scenario:
Is the scenario linked to Gloomhaven? No road event.
Everything else: Do a road event.

If you have not visited Gloomhaven yet and are directly playing a new scenario:
Is the scenario linked to the previous one you just did? No road event.
Everything else: Do a road event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rule book is super clear:

Quote:
In the case that players immediately travel to a new scenario, they must complete a road event before starting the new scenario unless they are playing the same scenario, the new scenario is linked to the previous scenario, or they are playing in casual mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving this thread again.

Is it mandatory to skip the road event if traveling to a linked scenario? Can you choose to do one anyway even if scenarios are linked?

Seems unclear in the rules. Opinions anyone? Clarifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're linked, there is no "road" between them.
It could be that a cavern scenario reveals a secret passageway to an abandoned castle. The abandoned castle is a separate scenario, and if you choose not to have that scenario next, that passageway will be blocked again by the new inhabitants of the cavern. Thematically it'd be weird for the mercenaries to go "Hey, we found a shortcut. Let's not take it but go around the other way!"

Scenario 2 spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I haven't yet played them but I understand that Scenario 2 is linked to Scenario 1 just the same way. Scenario 2 takes place deeper in the dungeon.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
Reviving this thread again.

Is it mandatory to skip the road event if traveling to a linked scenario? Can you choose to do one anyway even if scenarios are linked?

Seems unclear in the rules. Opinions anyone? Clarifications?
You can voluntarily skip the road event if traveling directly to a linked scenario not in Gloomhaven. Resolving a road event would be exactly*) the same as going back to Gloomhaven, skipping optional shopping and city event and then traveling to the next scenario.

If you choose to do a road event between two linked scenarios you could just as well pop by Gloomhaven, shop and do a city event.

*) Well - almost the same - if you skip a visit to Gloomhaven you could postpone retiring a character eligible for retirement - if you have fulfilled your personal quest and visit Gloomhaven you must retire your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I'm only asking because we recently did a scenario on an island that was linked to Gloomhaven. I mistakenly did a road event as we traveled to the scenario overlooking the fact that it linked to Gloomhaven. It definately seemed a bit odd because all road events are just that. Road events. Not open ocean events (as far as I know). Just wondering if we could have forced a road event if we wanted to. Seems ambiguous in the RAW. In any case, I don't think we broke our game by doing the event, just made the scenario a bit harder then it was intended. Also, if we traveled there from any other scenario and not from Gloomhaven, we'd resolve a road event, which would seem out of place seeing as the scenario is on an island and would require some form of ocean travel to get there. Maybe in that case, thematically, the event happens on the way to a coastal harbor or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolph Fox
Mexico
flag msg tools
The rules explain a little example of this, when finishing scenario 1 and going to linked scenario 2, you dont take a road. But if you return to gloomhaven (for free roads (i assume you already know the path) and then try to go directly to scenario 2 (unlinked) you need to take a road card... am i right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rudolp wrote:
The rules explain a little example of this, when finishing scenario 1 and going to linked scenario 2, you dont take a road. But if you return to gloomhaven (for free roads (i assume you already know the path) and then try to go directly to scenario 2 (unlinked) you need to take a road card... am i right?

Yes, you are right. The only time that a link between scenarios does anything is if you go directly from the first scenario to the second, without going back to Gloomhaven in-between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm gonna steal this thread for a question I have.

So let's say I have a party of four, but only 3 players are playing and the 4th is missing, let's say it's the Scoundrel. We draw a road event and it has the Scoundrel sign on it. Does the "scoundrel effect" apply to the currently present party or not? And if we get "gain 10 gold each", does the Scoundrel also get the gold or not?

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We only apply the characters currently present. If you didn't do this, then you could technically have a party of 17 characters (one from each class) where you would always trigger those special conditions and everybody would benefit, whether they were there or not.

On the other hand, there are some events that put Conditions or damage on your characters. It doesn't make sense to do that to characters who aren't present for the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kislikiwi wrote:
Ok, I'm gonna steal this thread for a question I have.

So let's say I have a party of four, but only 3 players are playing and the 4th is missing, let's say it's the Scoundrel. We draw a road event and it has the Scoundrel sign on it. Does the "scoundrel effect" apply to the currently present party or not? And if we get "gain 10 gold each", does the Scoundrel also get the gold or not?

Thanks for the clarification!

From the FAQ:
Quote:
If characters drop in and out of a party, which ones are affected by the results of road and city events?
Only the characters that are present when the event card is resolved are affected.

If a character is not there for the event, they are not affected by that event, and thus it follows that they cannot affect the event either.
So if the Scoundrel isn't playing at the time, then you can't use the "scoundrel effect".

That's how I play it, at least, because it makes the most sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, didn't think of creating 17 characters xD, it makes sense when you put it like this. I'm actually playing it solo, thanks for the replies guys. Have to read that FAQ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.