Popular Tags: [View All]
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It was early on a Sunday evening, and Gabriel and I knew we wanted to play a game, but not what. I had enough brain for something heavier, but he didn't, and our awesome roommate, Cady, who's a gamer girl at heart who doesn't have enough time (currently working and going to school full time) was loafing around the house aimlessly, so I asked her if she wanted to play so that this would change the selection to pick from--also because she's an awezome roomie.

She opined that it would probably be best to teach her something we're familiar with, so we settled on my current favorite game, Ingenious. This was only Gabriel's third game, and when I went back over the rules he insisted that wasn't the way we played before. Uh oh... sign of doom number one... (It was in fact the way we played before--I'd only played about a hundred games of it before teaching him!)

Next, Cady got out her thermos, which she had informed us needed to be emptied before work tomorrow so that she could fill it with water. I raised a brow and commenced to expect too little of my fledgling gamer geek friend as she took her first swig of the aforementioned vodka cran.

The game commenced, and everybody looked at my scoreboard a bit skeptically as their numbers raced to the top and I built evenly across my colors--exactly what I had explained in the rules. But when I got my Ingenious 18 in green, by scoring off of everything they'd built without blocking me out, for a whopping nine points, there were two sets of googly eyes staring at the board.

My luck in this game was not great, as I began several turns without any of my lowest colors, but couldn't switch out my tiles til I'd played, of course, and this is how Cady, now quite drunk, but clearly a gamer geek because she was laying waste to us even still, pulled ahead of me and stayed that way.

Once it was certain I would not beat her, I turned my attention to beating Gabriel, which somehow surprised him. He said many bad words to me as I surveyed his scoreboard, where he was lagging behind with 5 each in orange and blue, and blocked off the only exposed orange with one move, just as I'd beaten him in our first game (but with blocking pink.)

I continued to keep my eye on his moves and score from that point on, which he felt was severely unjust. "You just want to beat ME!" he exclaimed, "You just want to make me lose!" And as he was faced with placing the final tile on the board, he did so with a heavy sigh and the resigned statement, "It's the last turn. I lose, obviously."

Clearly, not something he is used to--but soon it will become a familiar occurance...

Final score:

Cranberry-Tinted Cady: 11
Evil Erin: 9
Green With Envy Gabriel: 5

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.