Anachronism» Forums » General

Subject: Most powerful decks in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ng
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
What are some of the most powerful decks you've come across in this game? I've only played casually, but if I were to go to a tournament, these would be the three decks I would bring. I've used some ideas from others online and added in my own as well.

Fate Milo

X1 Milo of Croton
X1 Clotho
X1 Lachesis
X1 Atropos
X1 Maid Marion

This deck is centered upon the three Greek Fate cards, which when played together provide enormous raw value. I added Milo as the warrior as he synergizes well in a deck that does not need/include a weapon. Maid Marion can be used to either evade or finish off your opponent after Atropos does three free damage to them. It’s high initiative (8) is also key for a turn 4 card.

Critical Hit Sverd

X1 Miyamoto Musashi
X1 Sverd
X1 The Sandbar Fight
X1 Musha Shugyo
X1 Gorin No Sho

This deck is centered on Sverd which is one of the strongest weapons in the game. A turn 2 Sandbar Fight further increases the value of both your AND your opponent’s critical hits for you. Turn 3 is your money turn with Musha Shugyo when all hits become critical. Gorin No Sho continues to maximize the chances of getting a critical hit on turn 4 and 5. I choose Miyamoto Musashi as the warrior as he is just a great overall card and his high health helps you be in good shape for turn 3. Apranik can also be used instead as she has more critical hit synergy.

Movement Ninja

X1 Ninja
X1 Wakhan Thanka
X1 Uma
X1 Shuriken
X1 B’gsw

This deck tries to take advantage of the Ninja’s attack ability, Shuriken and B’gsw with the high movement cards Wakhan Thanka and Uma. The combo of Wakhan Thanka and Uma will both give you an extra two movement spaces over your opponent every turn from the beginning of the game. This allows you to get maximum value out of Ninja’s attack ability plus Shuriken from turn 2. B’gsw and its potential 4 damage attack is there as a finisher from turn 3 onward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siekerman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
English is not my native language, so forgive me if there are any grammatical errors. I have participated in several tournaments and when making a deck i would recommend the following.

1. Going first in the first round is most of the time not preferable. You don't want to be the one to spent actions to cross the arena.
2. In my experience the third round is when the game usually comes to an end. By then most decks will have gathered enough steam to crush their opponent. It is therefore important to be first in this round.
3. It is better to put a card with an ability you can use from the discard pile in the 4th slot (so you can use it in the next match), because most of the time you won't reach round 4.

Looking at your decks i would give you this advice.

Fate Milo

There is no advantage here in winning initiative in the first round and you attack only with a +0 modifier. You will probably win ties, but rely here to much on luck. The second round will make it a little better (+1 modifier is still not great). Starting the round with dealing three damage is nice, but Atropos does not kill anyone and with an initiative of only six you will go second. I would change the following.

X1 Milo of Croton
1x Schutzherrin der meuchelmorder (changes all your -1 modifiers to + 2)
X1 Lachesis
X1 Clotho (win initiative, 4 speed and now you attack with a +4 modifier)
X1 Vozveshenniye posolstvo (use this in your next game to gain +3 experience and move at the start of the round)

Critical Hit Sverd

You rely only on the +2 modifier on sverd to hit. This not reliable enough. Also the attack grid of Miyamoto Musashi does not match the + 2 on sverd. After the attack with sverd you still want to be able to hit with an basic attack without having to spend an action on moving. The ability of Miyamoto musasho and The Sandbarfight is not neccesary. A small amount of damage in the first two rounds and two critical hits with sverd will be more than enough to finish most warriors. Going second in the third round with Musha Shugyo in play is suicide. My suggestion:

X1 Kublai Khan (most decks will have cards that are from a different culture than their warrior, also 8 lives and 7 experience are good stats and his attack grid has more synergy with sverd)
X1 Sverd
X1 Okichize channunpa (+ 4 on your initiative and +1 on attack rolls if you win initiative)
X1 Musha Shugyo ( you will probably win the initiative and have the possibility to strike with a +6 modifier sverd and basic attacks with a +4 modifier)
X1 Sanadamaru (taking one less damage in the next game is a nice bonus)
I would use the ability of Vozveshenniye posolstvo in either the first, the second or the third round ( depending on the situation). If starting first in the third round depends on experience, use Vozveshenniye posolstvo in the first or second round.

Movement Ninja

I don't think Ninja is a good warrior. Only seven lives, an experience of just two and a terrible attack grid. The only card that makes him playable is Schutzherrin der meuchelmorder and that one i would use with Milo. You spent most of the time moving around and the attacks are usually with a +0 modifier with almost no chance of winning ties. Once again you most likely won't get to do your third turn because of losing initiative and subsequently dying. The deck is nice for casual play, but won't get you far in a tournament. If i were in a tournament and the score was equal (1-1), then i would probably use the following deck.

X1 Amr Ibn Al-A'as(+3 modifier on his attack grid and the ability to reroll an defense roll once you have a inspiration in play)
X1 Liontari
X1 Tyr
X1 Bonaid Tri-Iteagan
X1 Qing Gong Palace

The classic combo of Liontari and Tyr and the ability of Amr Ibn Al-A'as to reroll an defense roll, will make very hard to hit him. With Bonaid Tri-Iteagan it becomes even harder. This also improves your attacks and the possiblity of making critical attacks. When you win the initiative in the first round it is better to wait until you have the Liontari & Tyr combo in play before charging your opponent. In the fourth round you will have two specials in play and then you discard the Bonaid and retrieve it with Qing Gong Palace. This means another round of fun with Bonaid. This is one of the few decks that will go beyond the third round. Remember that you can still use the ability on Sanadamaru.

Here are two other decks that work really well.

Sun Tzu in love

X1 Sun Tzu
X1 Pair O' Cutlasses
X1 Okichize channunpa
X1 Eleni Tis Spartis
X1 any card with an ability that you can use from the discard pile

The strategy is very straightforward. Use the ability of Sun Tzu to ramp up your speed until the third round. Choose the +1 on your defense rolls from Pair O' Cutlasses in the first two rounds. Your opponent will most likely move to you. With 12 initiative in the third round, your opponent becoming your rival, choosing the +2 attack on Pair O' Cutlasses and using an action to move in position, you can now attack eight times with your weapon at a +4 modifier.

Jim's Excalibur

X1 Jim Bridger
X1 Petrini Maza
X1 lady of the Lake
X1 Yeng Wang Ye
X1 any card with a ability that you can use from the discard pile

If you have more initiative than your opponent, use the first ability of Jim to lose initiative. Start in a position that is as far from your opponent as possible. Make an attack with Petrini Maza and if you roll les than your opponent use the second ability of Jim to switch the dice rolls. The problem now is that your opponent can move Petrini Maza in far away position. This is solved by the Lady of the Lake. With only an initiative of three in round two and an experience of two, you will most likely lose initiative. This is good news because you can now repeat round one. If eight damage is not enough, than in the third round you discard Lady of the Lake (two inspirations in play). This will trigger Yeng Wang Ye and deal (most of the time) the final damage.

I hope this post is helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ng
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Amezin wrote:
English is not my native language, so forgive me if there are any grammatical errors. I have participated in several tournaments and when making a deck i would recommend the following.

1. Going first in the first round is most of the time not preferable. You don't want to be the one to spent actions to cross the arena.
2. In my experience the third round is when the game usually comes to an end. By then most decks will have gathered enough steam to crush their opponent. It is therefore important to be first in this round.
3. It is better to put a card with an ability you can use from the discard pile in the 4th slot (so you can use it in the next match), because most of the time you won't reach round 4.

Looking at your decks i would give you this advice.

Fate Milo

There is no advantage here in winning initiative in the first round and you attack only with a +0 modifier. You will probably win ties, but rely here to much on luck. The second round will make it a little better (+1 modifier is still not great). Starting the round with dealing three damage is nice, but Atropos does not kill anyone and with an initiative of only six you will go second. I would change the following.

X1 Milo of Croton
1x Schutzherrin der meuchelmorder (changes all your -1 modifiers to + 2)
X1 Lachesis
X1 Clotho (win initiative, 4 speed and now you attack with a +4 modifier)
X1 Vozveshenniye posolstvo (use this in your next game to gain +3 experience and move at the start of the round)

Critical Hit Sverd

You rely only on the +2 modifier on sverd to hit. This not reliable enough. Also the attack grid of Miyamoto Musashi does not match the + 2 on sverd. After the attack with sverd you still want to be able to hit with an basic attack without having to spend an action on moving. The ability of Miyamoto musasho and The Sandbarfight is not neccesary. A small amount of damage in the first two rounds and two critical hits with sverd will be more than enough to finish most warriors. Going second in the third round with Musha Shugyo in play is suicide. My suggestion:

X1 Kublai Khan (most decks will have cards that are from a different culture than their warrior, also 8 lives and 7 experience are good stats and his attack grid has more synergy with sverd)
X1 Sverd
X1 Okichize channunpa (+ 4 on your initiative and +1 on attack rolls if you win initiative)
X1 Musha Shugyo ( you will probably win the initiative and have the possibility to strike with a +6 modifier sverd and basic attacks with a +4 modifier)
X1 Sanadamaru (taking one less damage in the next game is a nice bonus)
I would use the ability of Vozveshenniye posolstvo in either the first, the second or the third round ( depending on the situation). If starting first in the third round depends on experience, use Vozveshenniye posolstvo in the first or second round.

Movement Ninja

I don't think Ninja is a good warrior. Only seven lives, an experience of just two and a terrible attack grid. The only card that makes him playable is Schutzherrin der meuchelmorder and that one i would use with Milo. You spent most of the time moving around and the attacks are usually with a +0 modifier with almost no chance of winning ties. Once again you most likely won't get to do your third turn because of losing initiative and subsequently dying. The deck is nice for casual play, but won't get you far in a tournament. If i were in a tournament and the score was equal (1-1), then i would probably use the following deck.

X1 Amr Ibn Al-A'as(+3 modifier on his attack grid and the ability to reroll an defense roll once you have a inspiration in play)
X1 Liontari
X1 Tyr
X1 Bonaid Tri-Iteagan
X1 Qing Gong Palace

The classic combo of Liontari and Tyr and the ability of Amr Ibn Al-A'as to reroll an defense roll, will make very hard to hit him. With Bonaid Tri-Iteagan it becomes even harder. This also improves your attacks and the possiblity of making critical attacks. When you win the initiative in the first round it is better to wait until you have the Liontari & Tyr combo in play before charging your opponent. In the fourth round you will have two specials in play and then you discard the Bonaid and retrieve it with Qing Gong Palace. This means another round of fun with Bonaid. This is one of the few decks that will go beyond the third round. Remember that you can still use the ability on Sanadamaru.

Here are two other decks that work really well.

Sun Tzu in love

X1 Sun Tzu
X1 Pair O' Cutlasses
X1 Okichize channunpa
X1 Eleni Tis Spartis
X1 any card with an ability that you can use from the discard pile

The strategy is very straightforward. Use the ability of Sun Tzu to ramp up your speed until the third round. Choose the +1 on your defense rolls from Pair O' Cutlasses in the first two rounds. Your opponent will most likely move to you. With 12 initiative in the third round, your opponent becoming your rival, choosing the +2 attack on Pair O' Cutlasses and using an action to move in position, you can now attack eight times with your weapon at a +4 modifier.

Jim's Excalibur

X1 Jim Bridger
X1 Petrini Maza
X1 lady of the Lake
X1 Yeng Wang Ye
X1 any card with a ability that you can use from the discard pile

If you have more initiative than your opponent, use the first ability of Jim to lose initiative. Start in a position that is as far from your opponent as possible. Make an attack with Petrini Maza and if you roll les than your opponent use the second ability of Jim to switch the dice rolls. The problem now is that your opponent can move Petrini Maza in far away position. This is solved by the Lady of the Lake. With only an initiative of three in round two and an experience of two, you will most likely lose initiative. This is good news because you can now repeat round one. If eight damage is not enough, than in the third round you discard Lady of the Lake (two inspirations in play). This will trigger Yeng Wang Ye and deal (most of the time) the final damage.

I hope this post is helpful

Wow! Excellent advice. I tried out some of your decks with my wife and it was great fun. How do you feel about the Canute the Great plus Crown of England combo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siekerman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The Canute the Great & Crown of England combo is a nice combo, but the card that replaced the Crown of England for me is Yehero. You want to make the most use of the card, so i assume you start with it. Crown of England has two advantages over Yehero.

1. You still have the option for additional damage bonuses.
2. You can attack with a +2 modifier.

Yehero has these advantages.

1. Initiative of 0. Your opponent will win the initiave, which is preferable in the first round.
2. You can attack an adjacent opponent with a +1 bonus without having to rely on your attack grid. This means you most likely don't have to spend actions on maneuvering in position.
3. The attack has a base damage of two. Critical hits deal more damage with Yereho than Crown of England.
4. You don't get a -1 on your defense rolls.
5. Yehero gives the option of playing another inspiration. This means more choice in your other support cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benildo Pacífico
Brazil
Maceió
Alagoas
flag msg tools
mb
Do you have any kind if list with the best/strongest decks? Maybe some tiers list? I would realmente appreciate that.

Also, as an experienced player, what would you change in this game? If you think changes would be necessary. Is the game well balanced? What do you think went wrong with anachronism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siekerman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I don't have a list of decks. All the decks i played were my own creation and the ones (Amr Ibn Al-A'as, jim bridger and sun tzu) i mentioned earlier are coming from memory. I cannot recall what other people played. The last tournament i participated in was years ago.

As fore what went wrong with the game i would say the following ( please keep in mind that i have no inside information, this is just my opinion):

1. TriKing tried to make the game big in a very short amount of time. The tournaments had high-profile prizes. When i became the Dutch national champion, i got the chance to participate in the second world championship in 2006 in Atlanta. My trip, the hotel and the fee for Dragon-con were all paid by TriKing. I went 8th place and won a iPod shuffle. First prize was a Toshiba laptop computer. The first prize in the first worldchampionship was actually a minicooper. The company spend too much money on the game without first building a solid and large enough playerbase.
2. The game came out near the end of the second wave of CCGs and people by then were tired of them. Many had either quit CCGs altogether or kept playing the ones they already had.
3. Anachronism is more of a frontrunner of what Fantasy Flight Games now calls a living card game. This model is in my opinion less profitable than the random distribution of cards. There is almost no secondary market for them, because almost all the cards are fixed. A strong secondary market can improve the longevity of a game.
4. Although i find the subject matter in this game to be fascinating, many people (unfortunately) don't find history that interesting. Those that do, tend to be a bit older and they usually want a game with more strategy. Also the game is played as a contest of arms, and that means it will appeal to a smaller group of people.
5. The game felt expensive. The starter ( i believe around 14 dollars back then) contained only 10 cards and the boosters ( 7 dollars) 5 cards. The cards were beautifull and of high quality. But when you are young and don't have that much money to spend, you often go for quantity over quality. It was therefore more likely that you would buy a card game where you got more cards for your money. Also in order to keep the game interesting you need al lot of cards. This made it quite the investment.

What would i change about the game? Well, let me first say that any of my suggestions would mean that certain cards would have to be changed, because either they would become useless or overpowered. Also i haven't playtested everything.

1. Decrease the amount of luck in the game. Instead of using the combining number of two dice for the attack roll or defense roll, you could use the difference between the two dice and then add the modifiers. For example if i attack with a + 1 modifier and roll an 4 and a 6, then my total number to hit would be a 3. My opponent with no modifiers to his defense rolls, rolls a 1 and a 5. Because his number is now a 4, the attack misses. This means that modifiers to either attack or defense rolls become more important. Also rolling doubles is less favorable.
2. I never really liked the idea that just because you were lucky to roll doubles on an attack roll, you would deal an critical hit that doubles the base damage. This was actually the reason why i lost a very important game during the world championship. My opponent rolled doubles with Muramasa. I would change the effect of an critical hit in a choice of either +1 damage or give your opponent negative modifiers to his attack and defense rolls for one or two turns. Having to choose which option you want at that moment, brings a little more strategy to the game.
3. The arena is not that big, and that means damage will come soon. The game usually ends in round three, unless someone is playing an heavy defensive deck. It is very easy to try to hit someone with your best attackgrid modifier. More often than not you will not even use the other modifiers. This in part is the result of the option that for one action you can move your warrior and rotate him at the same time. If you would remove that option and simply say that rotating always cost an action, then the game becomes more strategic and will last a little longer.

I will close with two suggestions for decks that came to mind while typing all of this.

Aneas
Sword of mars
Pirate's stronghold
Horus
any card with an ability that you can use from the discard pile

The strategy is simple but tricky. Use the ability on Horus and Pirate's stronghold to stay alive and strike with sword of mars when ready. Once the opponent's life is reduced to one, finish it with the ability of Aneas. Remember that the ability of Horus can be used on any roll ( yours and the opponent). This gives more control over your life total.

Odysseus
Wakhan thanka
Mercury
Sahm
any card with an ability that you can use from the discard pile

With this deck you want to have Vozveshennyiye Posolstvo in your discardpile.
Use Wakhan thanka to move and switch with Sahm. With an initiative of six you will probably start and because of the attackgrid of Sahm you can most likely attack now. Use both the abilities of Odysseus and Sahm to attack twice with your weapon. This means choosing to roll three dice, but due to the ability of Sahm actually rolling just two. Now you have the outcome of two dice, the attackgrid modifier (+ 1) and a 6 of the initiative. This will result in a total of 4 damage. Next turn use Vozveshennyiye Posolstvo to move in position. With a initiative of 9, experience of 12 and a speed of 5, you can now start to attack three times with Sahm ( same as the previous round, but a 9 for the initiative). Dealing another 6 damage will kill most warriors.

I hope this information will be helpful for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benildo Pacífico
Brazil
Maceió
Alagoas
flag msg tools
mb
Dude, awesome post!

Nice to hear such detailed thoughts about Anachronism, loved all yours suggestions.

I asked about this cuzz i was doing a homemade version (with changes to the luck dependence in combat) of the game, about 5 years ago, but i ended up leaving it aside.

If i ever come back to it, i'll probably make some Pokemon or fantasy retheme, cuzz it's the only thing that call for my siblings attention nowdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The posts in this thread are probably the best record that still exists of how Anachronism was played by pros. Very handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Swope
United States
BOULDER
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for sharing this, Mark. There is almost no remaining online archives of useful information on Anachronism, much less detailed strategy advice and deck-building examples. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls