Subject: How up to date is the 3rd Edition Rulebook? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just received the new reprint and I'm working on learning the game. The 16.0 Combined Example of Play on page 22 seems to have several inconsistencies with the rules and cards.

1: (first paragraph of column 1 on page 22) "he plays his Maskirovka event card to immediately bring an entrained Russian unit onto the map". This doesn't appear possible as the card is to be played at the end of the Soviet movement phase and the example only covers the German movement and combat phases.

2: (first paragraph of column 2 on page 22) "sees the Erich Von Manstein event atop the discard pile from the Soviet players recent discard. (That was the Axis event on the same Stavka event card)". New Conscripts is the event paired with Manstein, not Stavka.

3: (last paragraph of column 2 on page 22) "The two 4-4 armies can trace directly to it...". What the heck are they tracing to? There aren't any supply sources within 4 hexes before Kiev and Odessa have fallen.

4: (last paragraph of column 1 on page 23) "The Soviet player throws the die and rolls a '3' for a CB..." That's at 1-1 odds. A 3 on the 1-1 column of the Soviet CRT is not a CB result. It is, however, a CB on the German CRT.

5: I also noticed a counter discrepancy in the counterblow example on page 13. The German 9th Army is shown as a 3-3. Neither side of the 9th Army counter is a 3-3 in the physical game.

I'm guessing that no one bothered to update the rulebook for 3rd edition? Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right I completely forgot to update the example of play in the rulebook (but I did update those in the Playbook). Sorry about that.

The 9th Army "3-3" mistake and the "wrong dice result " are something new: Nobody saw this mistake and it carries from the first edition in 2010! blush

Besides this, there are two glitches in the rulebook, plus one card precision, see the detail here:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gmtwebsiteassets/noretrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's a couple more.

6: 14.14 Variable Weather (page 20). 14.14.1 Setup: "Be sure to include cards #32-35 in the deck". Those cards have nothing to do with weather AFAICT. The 4 weather cards I could find are #9, #11, #12, and #13 (no longer consecutive) I'm not sure why someone wouldn't include the weather cards as the rule isn't optional.

7: (pretty minor) The Sep/Oct variable weather counter should probably have the default weather on the front of the counter to put it in line with the others. Currently it has the default on the back which is opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb

Any chance all 2016 errata can be updated as it comes up in the files section under one document/PDF? Those of us just learning the game appreciate the heads upcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Magro
msg tools
Proof reading?

I just ordered this having waited forever for the reprint and update...
The rules themselves and cards + counters are ok right?

Example off play is confusing if wrong but manageble
I can have a big PDF for learning or getting back into a game, but not homemade cards, errant counters or player-aids etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.