Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
The further I get into boardgaming, the more I realize that I love 2-player games. This view may be skewed by the fact that 99% of my gaming is done with just my girlfriend, but the fact remains, I love 2-player games. Luckily for my girfriend and I, there is a company who caters to our gaming desires.

Kosmos has created a long line of 2-player games, some of them good, some of them bad. Our first Kosmos purchase was Blue Moon. We have played this game quite a bit. Its a great game that scratches my CCG itch. Based on the success of Blue Moon with us, I decided to acquire Caesar and Cleopatra. It has received many good reviews on the Geek and is generally regarded as one of the better Kosmos 2-player games.

Rules

The rules are really quite straightforward. The rulebook is about 8 pages but could easily be done in 4, maybe even less. This is an important factor to me regarding 2-player games. I don't want a 30 page rulebook for a game thats only going to take half an hour. Most importantly, you can buy this game, sit down for 10 minutes with the rulebook, and start playing.

Components

This game is entirely card based. The cards seem to be made of a fairly strong stock. My copy was acquired in a trade, so there's a bit of wear, but nothing extraordinary. The cards are a strange shape and there's seems to be no real reason why. I suppose its probably just to differentiate the game, but it serves no purpose. This in no way detracts from the game, and actually makes the game asthetically pleasing.

The artwork on the cards is nothing special. As far as I'm concerned, art isn't terribly important in a game. The numbers and words on the cards are easy to read which is by far the most important part of the artwork.

Cameplay

This game plays pretty quickly. The bluffing mechanic can create some difficult decisions which in turn could lead to a bit of AP, but its not so complex that the game should grind to a halt. The seperate deck of Action cards makes the game very balanced and allows you to work some pre-game strategy into your decisions. You're still at the mercy of luck on some occassions, but this can be greatly reduced by good decision making with Actions.

Overall

Caesar and Cleopatra is a great 2-player experience. While fairly light, the game is full of decisions which require critical thinking. Luck does play a factor, but not so much as to negate skill and critical thinking. Still, luck can create a nice bit of tension which keeps you on the edge of your seat.

My favorite thing about this game is how it constantly balances itself. The mechanincs of the game work so hard at creating balance and parity between both players. This almost certainly stops a runaway leader problem unless one player is far more advanced than the other.

I rate this game 8/10. This game successfully takes what would be expected as a dry theme and adds excitement and tension. The quality of this game will certainly lead me to purchase more of the Kosmos 2-player series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. It is one of my fave Kosmos two player games, if not my favourite.
Definately worth it, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harding
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And congratulations on getting through a whole review without mentioning the orgies!

Don't mention the orgies.
I did it once, but I think I got away with it.

(With apologies to Fawlty Towers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in no way offended by the orgies. Anyone who is should take an anti-anxiety medication.

Actually my biggest problem with the orgies is that we find they make the game boring. I might take them out next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'd recommend Schotten Totten for a two player card game. It might be too deep in strategy and analysis for some people though.

Another favorite of mine is two player cheat:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/127360

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing the Schotten Totten-esque Battle Line which I will probably pick up when the reprint comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the orgies, the game is too predictable. The orgies provide randomness in the timing of the elections, and also provide randomness in the order of the elections (due to the reshuffle). I think removing them would detract from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.