10 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: My Harrowing Tale Of Being In Second Place (minor spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm enjoying the game, for all it's faults so far (6 games) my group is still having fun.

That being said I find myself in what must have been a pretty unforeseen situation and it bites. It bites hard.

I smashed the prologue; cleaned up. That, as it turns out, was a bad thing. I started the campaign in the worst position and got nothing as a bonus for winning. Since then I haven't won once.

Second. Every. Single. Game. Only one milestone.

First and third have swapped back and forth and fourth and I have stayed where I've been the whole game.

So the other two have pipped me to milestones by a single turn more times than I care to think about and as a result I've been leapfrogged and had them snatch the win out of the air. So they have province and leader upgrades up the wazoo but I, for all my consistent playing, have nothing.

Last night I landed past the glory target for the third time but this time I also landed on a person that was lower ranked then me so they got the win. I could have cried.

But now, after my solid almost winning I am actually leading the campaign. Hurray! Except I start the next game with base income and no upgrades worth mentioning.

I will keep playing the game because I do like playing it and I like the people I am playing with but I may just cry inside for a little while.

/end whinge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah it really sucks you aren't getting those upgrades for winning but on the bright side, with the rest of your group fluxating up and down in glory scored and if you continue to finish second and keep scoring decent glory as you apparently are, you're probably gonna win the whole damn thing! and think of the bragging rights! You win the campaign without a single upgrade. I'd never let my friends hear the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt your finish in the Prologue has anything to do with your position after game 6 (or game 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Completely agree, but I think it did cheapen the win in that it put me back in the first game. There should be a token province upgrade or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the intent of the Prologue was to see if the group that was chosen would feel that this is something interesting and so to continue doing another 13-18 games of it.

So maybe if someone was 'on the fence' had actually won:
"Well the game sucks, but I did win the prologue and get all (this stuff)!" isn't held hostage for rest of game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If care more about placing then the adventure just get into them Temples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Prologue is supposed to be a learning game with no permanent consequences.

I guess you could argue that going last in game 1 has some kind of permanent consequence, but someone was going to have to go last, and prologue performance seems as fine a way as any to determine it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I'm leading the overall campaign points-wise but I've also never won. I just keep doing well enough to come in second and all those points have added up. i would just really love to be able to upgrade my stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
How far in are you? I'm actually playing again for the first time since posting in a couple of hours and I'm interested to see how I go. I'll update after we've finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
So.

I came second. Again.

Still in the overall lead though because I was only beaten by 3 points.

I had a milestone I was about to claim taken by the person before me which had them leapfrog me and put them just out reach of my backup points plan.

That was the sixth game of the main campaign and I get the feeling that from here on in it's going to be damn near impossible to win a round. The girl in second overall is basically guaranteed at least 4 points by round two next game but it's likely she could get 5 or 6. I can't match that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it still. I like that our group is playing a game regularly and they are having fun but it is becoming a bit of a hard slog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally. Finally I have tasted the beautiful wine that is victory. Two milestones plus victory and I finally have some upgrades.

It's still going to be hard from here but I'm much less stressed about the next few games.

Actually if I was a betting man I would think that the person in 3rd is going to win but only time will tell.

So if anyone is reading this and in the same situation my advice would be

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spend a game having the primary objective to gain as many research cards as possible. I got both the milestone cards and that's how I won the game. Those and the generic help cards helped immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.