Subject: Hexcrawl How to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you suggest to start my first try with Hexcrawl? Which campaign to choose and what should I include?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rcket scientst
msg tools
There are quite a few additional things in Hexcrawl. I have found it beneficial to try out the stuff a bit at a time.

I started adding the Wilderness encounters between a couple of "normal" missions, rather than the "expanded" chart in the Frontier Town adventures book. Then I ran a couple encounters with the various human threats during missions, to get a feel for how they played. From there I went right to the jobs board. That incorporates the terrain encounters automatically.

Once you start running the jobs board, your group may find that a formal campaign plan is not necessary. The story writes itself as you go along. This works well if you do not plan to have a formal DM, or if your DM is only part time.

If you need a formal campaign, you can jump right in with the one on page 48 in the Hexcrawl Adventure book. It will certainly get you familiar with all the tables and concepts.

The one thing I have found is that with the Frontier Town events and the job board, being in town becomes a much more interesting experience. You may find you want to dial back something, which is totally fine. This is supposed to be about having a good time, which may not include all the options. Find out what works for your group.

One thing I would definitely recommend if you have a DM, have a few events (jobs, terrain, wilderness), rolled before the game that you are familiar with and have some notes for. It will make things go much faster during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great input thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
On vacation with spotty connection, sorry for the late reply, but rcktscientist answered the question well. Unfortunately, partly by design, it can be a bit overwhelming to get into HexCrawl as there's alot of parts and pieces. You may see it more as a modular system though and you can just incorporate parts and pieces into your games rather than going all out. It can significantly increase the length of your games if you go all in. It's meant to merge the game a bit more with RPG elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.