Subject: Poll: Which setting do you like most? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello geeks!

I am a hobby-gamedesigner from germany (as english is not my native language, i hope you will understand all the details). Currently i am "working" on different game-ideas. The most mature/advanced project is nearly playable right now, as far as we talk about the rules. There is no story or artwork made so far, i concentrated on the mechanics and basic rules for now. At this point, this aspect is still open and the setting is very flexible. So i don't want to talk about the game itself, i don't want to influence your opinion on my following question.

Disclaimer: My wife and i play many different games with different groups of people. If you'd ask me, i like games of different settings. But i made the experience that the setting is very important for some people. One person of our group really likes Zombicide but even Munchkin was too "geeky" for him. Others didn't like Arkham Horror because of the material (no miniatures). My wife likes the mechanics of X-Com, but doesn't like the game because of it's setting. It's to "technical" and "cold" for her. On the other hand, she loves Arkham Horror or even World of Warcraft (Boradgame), although these titles are much more complicated then the straight forward X-Com.

As i'd like to see my games in stores some day, i am looking forward hearing your opinions. The question is very simple:

What do you prefer? Is a fantasy-like setting more interesting than SciFi? Would you choose Starcraft over Warcraft? Lord of the Rings over Star Wars or Bladerunner? Dead of Winter over Battlestar Galactica or New Angeles? Android: Netrunner or Star Wars over Game of Thrones? Descent II over Imperial Assault or something more different like Vampire Hunters or The Others?

This is not about the story, it's just about the setting, the feeling. Are you more a fantasy-type of person, or more realistic, more SciFi?

As i can only speak for myself, i'd like it all, if it's made with love and effort. If you would be so kind to think about this question for a second, i'd be very grateful! Please remember that this is really not about the story. It's more about the feeling and the look of a game.

Thanky you very much!

EDIT: Maybe atleast i should say, that it will be a Miniature War Game with a Gaming Board and Roleplay-Elements (Leveling-System).

Poll
Which setting do you prefer?
Fantasy (funny - like Arcadia Quest)
Fantasy (heroic - like Lord of the Rings or Warcraft)
Fantasy (dark - like Warhammer Classic or Diablo)
Modern (realistic - like This war of mine)
Modern (horror - like Arkham Horror)
Scifi (technical - like Blade Runner or X-Com)
Scifi (heroic - like Star Wars or Starcraft)
Scifi (dark - like Warhammer 40K or Alien)
      121 answers
Poll created by Maftiosi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Peace, love and understanding
mbmbmbmbmb
Had post-apocalyptic been on the list I would have voted for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
filten wrote:

That's interesting! Did you mean Post Apocalyptic like...

- Fallout (not too mean, retro-Styling)?
- Dead of Winter (more survival, realistic)?
- Metro 2033/Stalker (dark and dangerous)?
- Something more futuristic, but worn, like the Battletech-Universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Peace, love and understanding
mbmbmbmbmb
Maftiosi wrote:
filten wrote:

Like Fallout or 51st state(which I supppose is Fallout with a bit of Mad Max thrown in), without a doubt. But I am a bit of a sucker for that genre.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
filten wrote:
Maftiosi wrote:
filten wrote:

Like Fallout or 51st state(which I supppose is Fallout with a bit of Mad Max thrown in), without a doubt. But I am a bit of a sucker for that genre.laugh

Thank you for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Julius
United States
Spicer
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have also gone for Modern Fantasy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dante_Night wrote:
I would have also gone for Modern Fantasy as well.

Can you explain that?

Maybe like... Shadows over normandie? Or like Arkham Horror: Nearly modern setting, but with magic? Or even like Steampunk (Dishonored, Thief) or Cyberpunk?

Well, Cyberpunk is nearly like Blade Runner, maybe with little more trash

PS: AFAIK i can't change the poll afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maftiosi wrote:
Poll
Which setting do you prefer?
Fantasy (funny - like Arcadia Quest)
Fantasy (heroic - like Lord of the Rings or Warcraft)
Fantasy (dark - like Warhammer Classic or Diablo)
Modern (realistic - like This war of mine)
Modern (horror - like Arkham Horror)
Scifi (technical - like Blade Runner or X-Com)
Scifi (heroic - like Star Wars or Starcraft)
Scifi (dark - like Warhammer 40K or Alien)
      121 answers
Poll created by Maftiosi

I won't vote, because the settings I like are original settings that have not been done to death yet. I don't see that as an option here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I will lean toward scifi settings first, but a game with an interesting "hook" trumps mechanisms, for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I won't vote, because the settings I like are original settings that have not been done to death yet. I don't see that as an option here

Well, could you describe some? I think, if you don't go into details, there aren't many possibilities.

If the range is wide enough, nearly every game and movie could fit into these categories. Except for lovestories and comedy, but as this is for a war game, that wouldn't be appropriate

As an example: Skyrim or Blood Rage share a viking-setting, but both would fit into Fantasy (dark), as they are bloody, with some magic, and kinda mediavel setting (swords and stuff). No elves or dwarfs, but they still fit into this category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I will lean toward scifi settings first, but a game with an interesting "hook" trumps mechanisms, for the most part.

Yeah that's right for me, too. But i've made the experience that a wrong setting can be quite a spoilsport for some people.

A great mechanic must be experienced by every player to learn it and to like it. If you don't get these people to play it, they won't get it.

You are right that a game with great artwork but weak or boring mechanics sucks, but i think that the setting is kind of an dooropener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maftiosi wrote:
If the range is wide enough, nearly every game and movie could fit into these categories. Except for lovestories and comedy, but as this is for a war game, that wouldn't be appropriate

Maybe you could categorise anything into these, but I have difficulty categorising most things I can think of into these... Then again I'm not very good at categorising stuff. Maybe it's partly a language thing as:

Scifi technical = Hard scifi
Scifi heroic = Space opera
Scifi dark = Horror Scifi

I don't think I'd describe Lord of the Rings as heroic fantasy. Most of the main characters don't want to be heroes and would rather have a quite life and much of the important stuff isn't heroic deeds. I suppose in the setting heroic deeds are important.

Race for the Galaxy? Lady Trent books (science fantasy memoirs)? The Long Earth books? A game about war between groups of animals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maftiosi wrote:
You are right that a game with great artwork but weak or boring mechanics sucks, but i think that the setting is kind of an dooropener.

Agreed - however it's not just the setting isn't something you can describe in a couple of words. There are settings I like more than others but any setting can be portrayed in a way that intersts me or a way that doesn't. I like SciFi and Fantasy but there are very few fantasy games where I like the setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you offer "Funny Fantasy" but not "Funny Sci-fi". Would dig an over-the-top Farscape-esque cartoony setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
Interesting that you offer "Funny Fantasy" but not "Funny Sci-fi" would dig an over-the-top Farscape-esque cartoony setting.

Nice hint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
I want to add this nugget:

Worst theme is a taking what seems to be a novel sci-fi theme that would have many great story lines available if played straight, and surprising us with yet another fantasy goofy theme.

Sci-fi good, fantasy good, do not MIX them.

What overrated game committed this sin? T.I.M.E. Stories.

When we played the base game and realized that this was a fantasy game we were playing, we were sooooo disappointed.

Guys....

'member the TV show Sliders?

Could of been something like that or Timeless. But no, we get magical crap that guts the theme of a game that desperately needs it due to dry (so very very dry) mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a theme is well crafted and compelling I don't have strong preferences in any particular direction among the choices you are offering, although of those, my LEAST preferred would be a funny fantasy theme. The reason I am not as fond of that is because in general with a miniature based war game I prefer a more serious feel. I find that comedic themes work best in relatively short games with more abstract game mechanics (like being card based). Part of this is because often the comedy will wear thin and leave little of interest if the game runs on for too long and if the game is more complicated mechanically I find that the comedy makes it harder to be serious about strategy or detailed mechanics. In games with a more "epic" feel I prefer a more serious theme.

One of the things that can make or break theme in a game for me though is how well integrated it is. In a more abstract game I care less about the theme, but in something like a miniature based war game with roleplaying elements like you are describing I want the theme to fit the game mechanics and vice versa. A theme I really like that doesn't really fit the way the game plays isn't as good as a theme that is less interesting to me but better suited to the way the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice thoughts, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the theme just needs to match the game. I rarely buy any game based on theme, but if it doesn't connect then it really detracts from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well guys, thanks for all of your opinions!

As i expected, most people will like these 2 possibilities. Maybe that's one reason they sell nearly the same game as Descent 2 and Imperial Assault.

Since i am thinking about this game, i like the style and technological possibilities of Scifi, but the roughness and the dangerous feeling that fantasy may offer. And like Matt said, it's not clever to mix them. Maybe it's even possible to mix some aspects with some "magica driven technologie" like in steampunk- or hextec-universes.

I think the reasons i like these settings are different. I like the futuristic design and possibilities of SciFi. In Fantasy it is much more about the feeling: Danger, adventure, mysteries and magic. Maybe these aspects could be combined to an interesting theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually try/play any of those, but I purposely limited my vote to only top three choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.