Popular Tags: origins [+] convention [+] [View All]
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were considering/wondering if the attendees of the CABS Board & War Rooms would be interested in having a cash bar set up right outside the rooms on either or both of Friday and Saturday Nights ... We would run the bar from say 7 to 11 or there abouts ...

BEVERAGE MENU would be ...

Premium Drinks $5.75
Domestic Beer $4.75
Imported Beer $5.25
Guiness Draught in a Can $6.50
Non Alcoholic Beer $4.75
Wine by the Glass $5.25
Sodas $3.25
Bottled Water $3.25
Juice $3.25
Cordials $7.00

Premium Brands
Jack Daniel’s Bourbon, Dewar’s Scotch, Crown Royal Blended Whiskey, Beefeaters Gin, Smirnoff Vodka, Jose’ Cuervo Especial Tequila, Bacardi Rum, Korbel Brandy

Domestic, Imported, Non Alcoholic Beers
Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken, Heineken Premium Light, Samuel Adams, O’Doul’s Non-Alcoholic

Wines by the Glass
Woodbridge, Chardonnay
Robert Mondavi, Cabernet Sauvignon

Sodas, Mineral Waters
Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Aquafina

Cordials
B&B, Bailey’s Irish Cream, Chambord, Grand Marnier, Kahlua

WHAT DO YOU THINK ??? GOOD OR BAD IDEA ???

Suggestions ???

Like Drinks not allowed into game room but just the overflow area right outside the rooms ???

Let us know ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the convention center would have you booted immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutherford
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might buy a bottled water but that would be about it.

I'm also not fond of the idea of serving alcohol in a family environment where some of the people are bringing their kids. I'd be worried some drinking too much and getting a bit out of hand not to mention some of the verbal abuse that can result from it especially around those kids.

I want folks to have fun but not have drinking ruining it for those that don't. I basically consider this the same as smoking at the table. I don't enjoy smoke and I don't like the smell of alcohol.

Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Gamble
United States
Wellsburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a horrible idea.

Oh, wait. It benefits CABS?

Um, it's wonderful! Let's do this all the time, including regular CABS meetings!

Seriously, I think it's a good idea, as long as you are able to keep all consumers upstairs. I'm also guessing you've thought about the club's liabilities about cutting off people who are drunk, preventing drunk drivers, and everything else that taverns usually have to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The convention center would be the sole supplier and source ... It is an something they offer for a price ...

CABS gets NOTHING ... It would only be provided for the good of the convention goer ... At these prices I am not sure we would have to worry about any one getting drunk ...

---------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the comments coming !!!

--------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserdog wrote:
The convention center would be the sole supplier and source ... It is an something they offer for a price ...

---------------------------------------------

Oh that's another story. Well I'm all for having the beverages there but.. honestly ...for those prices I know that if I really wanted a drink I would probably be sneaking in my own stuff. I may buy one or two drinks just to support the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm also not fond of the idea of serving alcohol in a family environment where some of the people are bringing their kids.

Don't disagree ... Our initial thoughts are to have the overflow area setup as a "lounge" area and allow the drinks there ... No taking the drinks into the actual War or Board Rooms ...

We are just hammering out ideas right now ... NOTHING has been decided ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran a cash bar last April at our local Convention from 8:00pm to Midnight each day as a service to our attendees. We only served basic hard liquor, beer and coolers and charged $3.00 per drink.

I'm not sure about the gamer's tastes in your area, but our beer and cooler sales outdid the hard liquor about 4-1, so stock accordingly. Also, if you are playing a lot of 'German' games make sure that there is Jägermeister on hand.

The only complaint that we received was that the bar should have been open longer than 4 hours. We also ran our own concession and people would have liked to have had a beer with dinner.

Otherwise, I think that it's a good idea. It's a bit of work to set up, but it can add a little extra money to your bottom line. If you keep the prices you stated... you should make a ton o' cash.

Oh... and make sure that you recycle. We ended our 3 day Convention weekend getting back close to $75 in can and bottle returns... and we only had 140 people in attendance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Otherwise, I think that it's a good idea. It's a bit of work to set up, but it can add a little extra money to your bottom line. If you keep the prices you stated... you should make a ton o' cash.

Just to be clear ... We do not get a cent of this ... It is a service provided by the convention center ... We would pay the bartender or have game company cover the fee and we walk away ... Everyting is on them ... They have exclusive contracts with the convention center and we get nothing ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't need people spilling their drinks on the games. Even if you make rules to keep the two separate, I think this would greatly increase the risk of accidents (especially since alcohol is involved). Count me against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just to be clear ... We do not get a cent of this ... It is a service provided by the convention center ... We would pay the bartender or have game company cover the fee and we walk away ... Everyting is on them ... They have exclusive contracts with the convention center and we get nothing ...

I'm against. At those prices I would have a negative view of CABS. As everyone assumed in this thread, people will think CABS is charging those prices and making a lot of money off the players. What benefit are you receiving for all the possible problems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming that all of the attached hotels have bars? It maybe is a little less convenient, but if you want to grab a pint with your new chums, just head on over to those. That would prevent people from guzzling drinks quickly just to get back in to the gaming area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always nice to offer people an option. If you have to pay for it though, it might be an unnecessary expense. On the other hand, it could generate a lot more traffic to those two rooms if you're thinking about exposure. In my experience, there's always a lot of traffic near beverage bar stands at cons. We'll just have to assume that the patrons will show common courtesy and drink responsibly. I think most folks wanting to get drunk would leave and go to a bar anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think most folks wanting to get drunk would leave and go to a bar anyway.

Of course. I don't think anyone is talking about getting drunk here. People actually do drink beer for the taste. I for one like to have something to drink while I game. Just because it might be alcohol doesn't mean that I am a lush or that I need it. I just think this is a cool option. Even if it is outside the room.

I do understand that kids will be there, but this isn't kid convention. Its a game con, that kids go to with their parents.

Having a beer is not a bad thing. Getting drunk and becoming a problem is. Two totally different things.

I for one would like to share an ale and chat with some BGG peeps while I am there, and it would be nice to not have to leave the con area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I was trying to say that people drinking here would not get out of control. It wouldn't be any different than someone grabbing a bag of Doritos between games (because then you'd have to worry about the cheese crumbs on the games too). I think most people are conscientious enough to act appropriately in these situations and would handle the games accordingly also. I have yet to see someone act out of control at this convention. I think having the bar would be a good idea myself - then people can decide for themselves if they want to use it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even if you make rules to keep the two separate, I think this would greatly increase the risk of accidents (especially since alcohol is involved).

Not sure I really understand this one. If they are seperate, how does this increase the risk of accidents? No drinks in room, so how does one spill?

And alcohol does not = drunk.

EDIT: By the way Jeff, I am not trying to be an ass here. I don't want you to think I am trying to be. I can, and probably will, get a beer with some friends elsewhere, this is just a nice convenience to not have to leave the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't gamers and alcohol together in a public setting a bad thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Being
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do drink in moderation.

However, several years ago, I had a really bad experience at Origins dealing with a drunk young adult in a Magic Booster Draft. It almost came to blows, but decided in my best interests just to leave the scene.

So I am against the bar/lounge idea. I would also be wary of some idiot spilling a drink on a rather expensive wargame or boardgame.

We all expect that people drink responsibly; however, I know differently. I would say, given any population, there are going to be a certain percentage of people who will not drink responsibly and create a problem for others. By the time you notice a problem and intervene, someone has already had their gaming experience ruined. Why invite any potential problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now we are not going forward with this ...

Maybe next year when we have more time to think about it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Smith
United States
Delaware
OH
flag msg tools
Even though it looks like it isn't going to happen, I don't know if it's all that necessary. The soft drinks are available at several concession stands around the convention center, and I'm 90% sure alchohol is available in some other public areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.