Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Anyone feel like starting position imposes too great an impact on the race outcome?

It seems that the first few cars have a decided advantage by being able to set the pace through turns and forcing the trailing cars to take slower routes. Once in the lead, a smart driver can continually use this to their advantage, forcing those behind to drive harder and more aggressively just to keep up.

Anyone do anything to mitigate this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Müller
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We normally don't "roll" for starting positions but use the World Championship Rules, which give the option for a timed training session. The player with the fastest lap gets the pole position.

But: Definitly the cars in the front rows have an advantage over those on the last positions. I don't percive this as a problem though. It's realistic, if you don't mind using such a word for a dice game ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Our group runs two races with start order reversed for the second race, and then totals the results.

Or we run one race, with each player having two cars with opposed start positions (eg: 1/6, 2/5, 3/4), and total the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alain David
France
Voisins le Bx
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many options are possible, in which the two exposed before or :
- each race begins in reversed order from ranking of former race
- each race begins in reversed order from ranking of championship
- bet : 1000 points on a season grids, each race you can bet from 0 to 1000 points and max bet gets the pole...

And the one we are playing : launched start : each player start from his place on the grid but with the departure speed he wants : The alea of 4 or 5 first moves are concentrated on 1st move, it's fast & furious at 1st move of the race !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed many ways to decide who gets pole position. Rolling dice is simply the fastest (and most random) way. Time trial is the best to go tho' the downside it adds some good minutes to your game.

As to realism, yes pole position is indeed VERY helpful. Ask those real FI drivers and you'll get your answer. I remembered once Schumacher - even in his prime then - was stuck at last position (due to some technical cock-up). In that race, he was never in it... though he did well to finish a respectable 3rd or 4th for Ferrari.

It's conceivable - barring engine failure and slow car - that an excellent F1 driver starting in Pole can maintain that position and go on to win the race.

Similarly anyone in higher starting position has similar advantage to those lower down the pecking order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the advantages of pole position will vary on the track you're racing on. Assuming that every car will start the race in first gear and shift up one gear every round, the advantage becomes "What gear will I be in by the time I hit the first turn?". Sometime the car in pole position will have to stay in a lower gear to make the first turn, while a car well behind can shift up and exit the turn at a greater speed.

Also the pole position advantage varies GREATLY by how many total cars are in the race, meaning how many cars will bunch up in turns at one time. I could be wrong, but that's just been my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
jack208 wrote:
There are indeed many ways to decide who gets pole position. Rolling dice is simply the fastest (and most random) way. Time trial is the best to go tho' the downside it adds some good minutes to your game.

As to realism, yes pole position is indeed VERY helpful. Ask those real FI drivers and you'll get your answer. I remembered once Schumacher - even in his prime then - was stuck at last position (due to some technical cock-up). In that race, he was never in it... though he did well to finish a respectable 3rd or 4th for Ferrari.

It's conceivable - barring engine failure and slow car - that an excellent F1 driver starting in Pole can maintain that position and go on to win the race.

Similarly anyone in higher starting position has similar advantage to those lower down the pecking order.

You don't have to go back to his prime: just last year he parked his car in the middle of Monaco during qualifying, hoping that blocking the road would be enough to stop qualifying and get pole position. The stewards decided that he had done it all on purpose, and sent him to the last of the grid. He finished 5th, which is considered a huge feat of his skills when he isn't cheating.

As far as Foruma de goes, Different circuits offer different advantages. Sometimes being third might be better than being first! Starting in the 4th or 5th row of the grid is a huge disadvantage though, no doubt about it. Only something like a timely weather change can truly even the odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.