Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anybody else feel the same?

While I like the overall concept and feel of the game, the classes just seem boring and "samey".

Most of the lvl up bonuses are just passive, combat oriented bonuses like extra hp, extra dice etc. I would have loved to see more varied and thematic skills/abilities becoming available when leveling your character. I.e. a wizard spell that could teleport another hero 1 space in any direction, a babarian skill that let's you sacrifice health for extra combat dice etc.

Hopefully, many of these "skills" will be added to the loot. If I remember correctly, there was a healing wand (or something similar) in the gameplay demo video? The game seems to put a lot of focus on the loot, so I really hope that gameplay depth/strategy comes in the form of choosing what items to carry with you, and using the different heroe's items in synergy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mistake the images from the KS campaign for the finished version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a betting man, but my gut feeling is that they're still tweaking the heroes' skills and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each class can feel a little different, and maybe that's not enough for some. If that's the case, i think maybe this isn't the right game, and something like Descent might be better.

But i do like the simplicity: without much effort, most of the abilities make sense and are easy to implement.

Yet there is some flair: each class has slightly different trees, plus they each have a signature skill.

I do know that they haven't completed the class sheets, because in my geekiness, i read every hero and class sheet available and several classes share the same signature -- clearly a template or placeholder.

What i hope to point out is i enjoy the simplicity, and that's exactly why i sold Descent after playing it a couple of times and why i am buying Massive Darkness. I think others may feel the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
Does anybody else feel the same?

I definitely feel the same, in fact I feel most aspects of the game feel repetitive. Hopefully, as others have said, they will revamp the character sheets, but for now all of the characters are one big casserole. I also felt like the poses for the various figures were very repetitive and would be hard to find if everything was in a big group. From the pictures they showed of the equipment there also seemed to be a lack of variety with most things just giving an extra die here or there.

I was very tempted buy this game during the KS campaign but ended up going with Descent 2nd edition for it's coop app. There's immense variety in that game so even if they make lots of changes to MD it's hard for me to imagine it could perk my interest enough to buy it when I already have Descent. But I'm still interested enough to keep up on the forums and we'll so how things progress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just rewatched the gameplay video.

It does seem like much of the loot will carry it's own special abilities. I really like that idea.

In another thread i compared MD to the Diablo video games. In Diablo (especially the first two) The gear you carried greatly affected how your character played, much more so than the stats you gained when leveling up.

I really get the feeling that CMON have tried to dublicted the feeling of hack n slash/action rpg video games where you're chopping down hordes of enemies, and where loot is just as important for character improvement as leveling up. Every Diablo player has tried finding that one uber item that made you unstoppable for the next few levels of the game. I think MD can replicate that feeling

If CMON also has time to adjust/improve the differences between the classes, even better

Off topic:
I really wonder why they didn't reshoot that gameplay video.

They make so many mistakes and bad rolls/bad descisions that they hardly progress in the game, making it seem much slower than it probably is. They didn't even get to fight a wandering monster. How are you supposed to sell us on the idea of fighting huge monsters (and sells us a lot of add ons with said mosnters) when we don't even get a video demonstrating these fights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
I just rewatched the gameplay video.

It does seem like much of the loot will carry it's own special abilities. I really like that idea.

In another thread i compared MD to the Diablo video games. In Diablo (especially the first two) The gear you carried greatly affected how your character played, much more so than the stats you gained when leveling up.

I really get the feeling that CMON have tried to dublicted the feeling of hack n slash/action rpg video games where you're chopping down hordes of enemies, and where loot is just as important for character improvement as leveling up. Every Diablo player has tried finding that one uber item that made you unstoppable for the next few levels of the game. I think MD can replicate that feeling

If CMON also has time to adjust/improve the differences between the classes, even better

Off topic:
I really wonder why they didn't reshoot that gameplay video.

They make so many mistakes and bad rolls/bad descisions that they hardly progress in the game, making it seem much slower than it probably is. They didn't even get to fight a wandering monster. How are you supposed to sell us on the idea of fighting huge monsters (and sells us a lot of add ons with said mosnters) when we don't even get a video demonstrating these fights?

Who would they want to sell it to now? They will probably do like so when it is available for retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us looking for a simpler co-op dungeon crawl, I think everything looks great.
I find Descent to be a rules slog that takes as long or longer than an RPG. If I wanted the game to be that complex and in depth, I'll just play an RPG.

MD looks to be a nice simple kill monsters and take their stuff game that doesn't get bogged down with all the details. I'm looking forward to it as all of the dungeon crawlers of late seem to pile on the complexity resulting in a very long game that's impossible to play with my kids. MD fits the bill nicely.

Are the classes too same-y? I don't think it matters as long as my kids and I are having fun chopping down monsters and taking their loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with the simpler hack-and-slash dungeon crawls, as my love of Zombicide: Black Plague shows. ZBP does a pretty good job of separating out the different classes (although there is some overlap); however, it falls short with regard to any type of campaign or long-term character development.

I'm hoping MD will scratch that itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Tjohei wrote:
I think you mistake the images from the KS campaign for the finished version of the game.

You would have a point it they were coming out with all kinds of new rules tweaks updates that we could drool over. But that isn't the case. And don't you think they would be showing us those if they had them?

My gut feeling: I bet we see the exact same game that we were shown in the kickstarter.

I think it will be somewhere in between. I think the classes and character abilities are done for the most part, but I think there will still be some added for those that were unfinished and some minor tweaking. I wouldn't expect anything game changing though.

ssk0909 wrote:

I agree. It seems the loot and your character have MUCH more impact than your actual class and the skills you pick. Most of the class skills are little more than extra actions, dice rolls, hits/blocks, and hp. I'm not sure I really like that.

I wish the classes had at least one or two more really unique abilities. There are just so many untapped possibilities. They don't have to make the game super complex or time consuming to make the classes feel really different either. For example instead of the "Health" ability giving every character +2 health and then regeneration, why not make the more burly classes like Shadow Barbarians and Pit Fighters gain +3 health, +4 health, and finally +5 health (or only 1 regeneration at the second level)? Or what about not even have the health gain for Shadow Assassins and make them start with less hp than a standard class (say 3 or 4), but they do INSANE damage?

Other classes like Nightshade Rangers could gain two separate attacks per action as long as they are using a bow, the Pit Fighter could have a Whirlwind ability and the Battle Wizard an explosion that deals equal damage to all enemies around them, and the Battle Priest could have a straight heal that heals 1 point of damage per sword and also grants exp on a BAM. None of these things would be super complex or hard to implement or balance, but would make the classes feel WILDLY different I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.