Subject: It is very drafty in space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Olsson
United States
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
I really do have a wonderful life.
Malloc, Stephen, Sal, and I pulled out Mag Blast yesterday for a gaming lunch of epic proportions. Knowing from our first experience that the game could take an awfully long time if we were going to be fair about it, we decided to play as cut throat and nasty as we could.

I had the Glorp, whose racial ability to halve the damage coming in from squadrons was a life saver for my short stint in the game. Sal had the Recyclons and colelcted a lot of cards as ships were destroyed. Mike had the Alpha Mazons, using their direct hit ability only once, and Stephen had the Gleeb. I don't believe he used their special ability at all.

I was lucky in the draw and pulled two dreadnoughts, which I hastily erected as my left and right defense. I had a cruiser up top and a carrier below. With 32 points coming in, I did not go first. Stephen did with 17.

I attracted a lot of the early fire, but a space dock card and a reinforcement or two kept me from going down early. Stephen was the first player to go down as his cards did not give him the opportunity to reinforce, and the focused fire from three players took him down.

Sal and Malloc quickly focused their attentions on me. I was able to use an asteroid belt to hold them back for a turn, but Sal used a trick with the direct hits that I had not seen before: using them to inflict a second hit from the same ship. Two mag blasts will make short work of most dreadnoughts, so I was down for the count quickly enough. I did not see an evasive action or space anomally card for the entire game.

Malloc and Sal squared off, and when Stephen and I decided to make a run for Starbucks while they finished, I was not there to observe the end, but I had a feeling that the massive hand of the Recyclons would claim victory.

After getting back from lunch, I caught up with Malloc and he told me he was able to pull it out, defeating the Recyclons with an unstoppable barrage of fighters and bombers. He had three, which he used to deal out eight points of damage each round. A mag blast after that finished the Recyclons.

The good news for our gaming group is that Mag Blast can be played in under two hours. VuduJoie, our historical thinker, was not on hand to run out the clock by determining the best option to win the game, but I think even if he was there, the other players would have taken him out early to keep the game moving. I look forward to the next game!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.