Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had the opportunity to pull this game out at my FLGS. Here were the reactions

Components
Components in this game were solid. Artwork was theme appropriate, and including actual historical information on the cards was cool. Card were readable yet still interesting.

Rules and rulebook
Rules were short send reasonably understandable. I had a few questions that were answered by the author. However there was only one set of player aids, and having more would have been helpful.

The game play
So, I've played a lot of politically incorrect and dark themed games. From The Bloody Inn, to The Others to CAH there really isn't any theme that in games that I have found to be just too taboo.

That being said, this is a pretty intense game in terms of theme, and while other games, like CAH, have an internal humor built into the game itself, this game doesn't have that internal humor built in. It's a game of hard decisions, and struggle.

That being said, there was definitely externally derived humor just to lighten up the fairly dark theme.

From a mechanics and play standpoint this game is solid and fun. The only complaint one player had was the fact you didn't know how much total shame you had until the end of game. Players that thrive on information to make decisions will find this frustrating.

There is a potential point of imbalance at the beginning of the game. You draw a family plus a few single players. Total health dictates how many cards you get at the beginning. While the vast majority of players will get one card, it's possible one player would get two. That is a huge advantage, and if we drew that way in a game, I'd probably redraw.

All and all a solid game, with some interesting choices, a good amount of history, and a strong intense theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mohnkern wrote:
The only complaint one player had was the fact you didn't know how much total shame you had until the end of game. Players that thrive on information to make decisions will find this frustrating.

I think that part is also very thematic. You never truly know what everyone else thinks about what you've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In my personal experience with the game, I have found the combo where you get 2 personal Forage cards to be self-limiting. That is, you start the game with a potential +5 victory points, but also a big target painted on your back.

The usual thing that happens is that someone takes the Shame to weaken your party down to where you have 6 people to feed but are only drawing 1 personal Forage, which puts you on the wrong side of the hunger curve and tempts you to the dark side of drawing Shame to keep those extra victory points alive.

In general, you tend to become a magnet for hostile actions. People will go out of their way to make sure you do not have the oldest settler, youngest settler or an intact family, and the more players that are in the game the less Shame they will have to individually collect to do these things to you.

Instead of redrawing if this comes up, just let all the players know that "this guy is starting play with a potential 5VP bonus, so if you let him keep it, it's your own fault", and then see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.