Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it looks like there are plans to make some board game movies. Check out the link here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=425312

I, for one, am not that thrilled. "Clue" the movie was, in my opinion, one of the better comedies I've ever seen and if they are thinking of re-doing it, well, let's just say that I have an issue with that. As for a "Monopoly" movie, uugggh. I think Monopoly already hit it's movie highpoint in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls":

"And you're... the Monopoly guy!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
compman wrote:
So, it looks like there are plans to make some board game movies. Check out the link here:

I, for one, am not that thrilled. "Clue" the movie was, in my opinion, one of the better comedies I've ever seen and if they are thinking of re-doing it, well, let's just say that I have an issue with that.

Well, I for one DON'T have a problem with a "Clue" movie remake as long as it greatly improves on the original. And by the way, it wouldn't be hard to improve upon the 1985 movie. While I was expecting a comedy mystery along the lines of 1976's "Murder By Death," the "Çlue" movie was just plain dumb and wasted its talent with a less-than-compelling or -suspenseful script. And the humor was altogether too forced for one to buy it.

compman wrote:
As for a "Monopoly" movie, uugggh. I think Monopoly already hit it's movie highpoint in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls":

"And you're... the Monopoly guy!!"

Quite the contrary, a "Monopoly" movie might not be about business moguls acquiring new properties at all. It might be rather about a group of twentysomething friends who meet weekly to play games, "Monopoly" being the one that they play most. The thing that sets things in motion might be when one of the group cites that 1999 Psychology Today magazine article that says one can size up a prospective mate by playing a board game with him/her moreso than any other activity.

The rub: Is the person who cites that article merely trying to bluff his/her way to victory on the board OR is he/she trying to win the affections of the one or more of the persons assembled there?

As they discuss the article, one could read between the lines that some of the people there are in essence "trying to acquire the same property" (so to speak) -- trying to win over the same person. In essence, who will monopolize the time and affections of the others in the end?

Over the course of several games over several months or years, the story could progress from there to show who "acquired the most properties" over the time period versus who actualy "won." And of course, the person in question could notch those conquests using his/her own "Monopoly" game board and property cards.

I wonder who'll be his Miss Boardwalk or her Mr. Park Place. . . . (LOL!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
Well, I for one DON'T have a problem with a "Clue" movie remake as long as it greatly improves on the original. And by the way, it wouldn't be hard to improve upon the 1985 movie. While I was expecting a comedy mystery along the lines of 1976's "Murder By Death," the "Çlue" movie was just plain dumb and wasted its talent with a less-than-compelling or -suspenseful script. And the humor was altogether too forced for one to buy it.

You wanted a murder mystery. It is not a murder mystery. It is a comedy. As a comedy, it is quite funny. As a comedic reference to it's source material, it's brilliant.

You have to look for the wonderful touches. The floor of the hallway is patterned in the same manner as the game board. The dialogue is masterful, with deliciously bad puns like "Communism was just a red herring." and great delivery from the superb cast.

I can certainly understand not liking the movie because it wasn't what you were expecting or what you prefer, but it is quite certainly a classic and very, very funny. 13000 people feel it's a 7 out of 10 on IMDb... that's a pretty good rating.

Quote:
Quite the contrary, a "Monopoly" movie might not be about business moguls acquiring new properties at all. It might be rather about a group of twentysomething friends who meet weekly to play games, "Monopoly" being the one that they play most. The thing that sets things in motion might be when one of the group cites that 1999 Psychology Today magazine article that says one can size up a prospective mate by playing a board game with him/her moreso than any other activity.

In which case it would be a dismal, dismal failure. A movie about the Ten Commandments is a failure if it is about priests talking about the Bible story. It's an epic story of grandeur if it has an angry Charleton Heston in a white beard and robe throwing down the tablets in disgust. A movie should be it's source material, not cleverly deconstruct it or reference it in passing.

Could a movie be made from the premise of Monopoly and not suck? Well, perhaps if done as a comedy in the same style as the original Clue film. I would rather see it as kin to It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in style and pacing. Perhaps a frantic race among ridiculous billionaires with names like "Shoe", "Iron", and "Battleship" to acquire properties - the main characters being sympathetic apprentices caught up in their employer's misadventures.

But honestly, it's not a great choice for a board game movie. Although it is certainly less dreadful than a Payday, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, or Life movie would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
compman wrote:
So, it looks like there are plans to make some board game movies.

Judging from the article, it seems more likely we'll see films based on Hasbro's toy lines, not their board game lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... can you say "ultimate product placement?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the write of the article and the posters here are making HUGE assumptions about Monopoly or any of the other choices being made into movies. Do you guys realize how many boardgames that Hasbro owns! Whoever wrote the article probably just plugged in the names of the only boardgames he knows. Hasbro is more likely to make movies based on such games as Heroscape, Dungeons and Dragons (although that has been done badly and to death), Axis and Allies, or even Trollz or Transformers are more likely since kids movies make so much money and spawn the most toy sales.

BTW I still think Clue was one of the funnies movies I have ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up...an Outdoor Survival Movie...zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
walk_softly wrote:
Dungeons and Dragons (although that has been done badly and to death)

Hey, the second one was half-decent.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the article in question isn't just talking about movies and TV shows. Video games are mentioned. With Monopoly, they could simply come up with another concept for turning it into a video game.

Quote:
According to Variety, Hasbro and the William Morris Agency have just partnered up in an effort to turn a bunch of properties into TV shows, movies and video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
A movie about the Ten Commandments is a failure if it is about priests talking about the Bible story. It's an epic story of grandeur if it has an angry Charleton Heston in a white beard and robe throwing down the tablets in disgust. A movie should be it's source material, not cleverly deconstruct it or reference it in passing.

"What's Up, Doc?" would like a word with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jim_P wrote:

Will there be a "Monopoly Movie Monopoly"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim_P wrote:

Disney topped that with their Country Bear Jamboree movie (Not to mention their Haunted Mansion and Pirates movies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
compman wrote:

I, for one, am not that thrilled. "Clue" the movie was, in my opinion, one of the better comedies I've ever seen and if they are thinking of re-doing it, well, let's just say that I have an issue with that.

The 1985 Clue was nothing but a red.....herring.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Jim_P wrote:

Will there be a "Monopoly Movie Monopoly"?

Not until after Monopoly XXII, so each property can be one of the movies in the series. The utter disappointment that will be Monopoly-3rd Course will be Baltic Avenue while the crticially acclaimed and Oscar winning Monopoly XIV - Payback Time will replace Boardwalk.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burton
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am happy about this news. I hope this movie makes a gazillion dollars. Movie distributors will start looking everywhere for the next big board game blockbuster. Think of some of the top games and what awesome movies they would make! Caylus: The Building. Power Grid: The Turning. Monopoly 2: Settlers of Catan. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snakes on a Plane II: Snakes and Ladders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Its official, I've lost all faith in humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all seems quite vague in the article... a Trivial Pursuit TV show I could imagine, and movies based on toys is obvious, but beyond that?..

Murder By Death is an excellent movie by the way, I think Clue was influenced by it for sure.

Best bit in Clue: Ding-Dong!, "Da da da da da daa! I - am - your singing telegram!" BANG!

Gets me every time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to IMDB:
Denzel Washington ... Cannon

Nicholas Cage ... Thimble

Joe Pesci ... Boot

Sharon Stone ... Iron

Steven Segal ... Wheelbarrow

Gary Bussey ... Dog

Mathew Perry ... Top Hat

Martin Short ... Car

Rosie O'Donnell ... Battleship

Nicole Kidman ... Horse and Rider
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone see the Robot Chicken with the movie "Hungry Hungry Hippos: The Revenge"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil81 wrote:

Best bit in Clue: Ding-Dong!, "Da da da da da daa! I - am - your singing telegram!" BANG!

Gets me every time!

My favorite part as well. It wasn't until years later that I learned the singing telegram girl is Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Gos. It must be the fact that the producers refused to skimp on the talent for even the smallest parts in the film that made her so memorable.

Or they were lucky. Whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monopoly movie is a Go!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,21921816-...

I would cast Danny Divito as Rich Uncle Milburn Pennybags!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzos wrote:
The Monopoly movie is a Go!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,21921816-...

I would cast Danny Divito as Rich Uncle Milburn Pennybags!

The Article Linked To Above wrote:
Scarlett Johansson and Kirsten Dunst are being considered for roles. Hasbro, which claims that Monopoly has been played by 750 million people since the 1930s, wants the film to feature "sexy young people" in an attempt to attract teenagers to board games.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil81 wrote:
It all seems quite vague in the article... a Trivial Pursuit TV show I could imagine, and movies based on toys is obvious, but beyond that?..

We already have National Bingo Night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only assume that the movie will be six hours long, but most people will leave about two hours into it.

They'll also bring their own snacks to the theater and claim that they've ALWAYS brought their own snacks and they can't imagine enjoying the movie any other way.

And the sequel will find one obscure reference in the original movie and overproduce the hell out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.