Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: eagle [+] [View All]
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading some extremely long threads on the forecoming/inminent closure of Eagle games in the past months, I was very pleased to see them announce the release of Age of Empires III.
I love some of the games Eagle has produced in the last years, from Age of Mythology, to Railroad Tycoon, and reeditions like Conquest of the Empire.
For me it's great news that they're still in business and look forward their new stuff.

I cannot stop wondering, though, what has happened? Were they broke and then they got new investors? Was it all a misunderstanding? Does anybody know?

Thanks ahead for your answers!

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle isn't actually the publisher of Age of Empires III. According to the BGG entry, it's published by Pro Ludo/Tropical Games.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN TODD JENSEN
United States
HILLSBORO
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle closed their doors last summer. Funagain bought most of the remaining assets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the (older) issue of Eagle Games' demise was also discussed here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118970

Last thing I heard: Glenn Drover is now the mastermind behind Tropical Games. Eagle Games is still out of business, although you seem to be able to order their stuff from their homepage. Funagain bought everything, which was left. If you click on Age of Empires III on the Eagle Games homepage, you get an error message.

At least that's my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you can still buy Age of Empires III from the Eagle website, either by clicking on an ad for the game here at BGG or by following this link:

http://www.eaglegames.net/products/age_of_empires/age_of_emp...

It appears also that they are still offering the pre order special which provides a sixth set of pieces for AoEIII when you order the game via the Eagle web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did they go out of business? Some of their latest releases sold poorly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyrobot wrote:

In Glenn's own words:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1004618#1004618
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
This must make my like-new copy of The American Civil War EXTRA valuable! It's up for trade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith Blume (who used to work for Eagle Games) is running EagleGames.net where you can get the games produced by Eagle Games. You can purchase the games and you can also purchase the individual components for a lot of the games.

I bought some parts for Attack! last fall and some parts for Age of Mythology in January of this year. I know that EagleGames.net also had a pre-order special for Age of Empires III, where you also got a 6th color so you could play with 6 players.

They might have a problem with the Age of Empire III page but if you go to the product catalog Age of Empires III is listed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
monkeyrobot wrote:

They were trying to cash in with video game license boardgames and tons of plastic. Wrong market, boardgamegeeks generally don't fall for that crap. It's the same guy who designs them and then even rates a few of them here on bgg, shameless, blame him. However, I do like bootleggers.

It´s not because of all those nice plastic, it´s because: like Glenn Drover says:"Due to a sudden and severe downturn last year in the demand for poker products"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
monkeyrobot wrote:

They were trying to cash in with video game license boardgames and tons of plastic. Wrong market, boardgamegeeks generally don't fall for that crap. It's the same guy who designs them and then even rates a few of them here on bgg, shameless, blame him. However, I do like bootleggers.

What kind of a moron would post this? Why not read up on what really happened instead of making asinine posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Quote:
What kind of a moron would post this? Why not read up on what really happened instead of making asinine posts.

Where's the pleasure in that?

(Which, by the way, John Cleese says is the funniest line he ever had in Monty Python.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They were trying to cash in with video game license boardgames and tons of plastic.

If by this statement you mean that there was a sudden and severe downturn in the demand for poker products, you're correct-o-mundo.

Otherwise, if that's not what you mean, you should go buy Age of Empires III like the rest of us who don't fall for cool plastic pieces and video game licensed board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
monkeyrobot wrote:

...the same guy who designs them and then even rates a few of them here on bgg, shameless

This part is true, of course.

cP
FFG

Who loves video game licenses with lots of plastic! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:

I know that EagleGames.net also had a pre-order special for Age of Empires III, where you also got a 6th color so you could play with 6 players.

They might have a problem with the Age of Empire III page but if you go to the product catalog Age of Empires III is listed there.

I purchased my copy of AoE III through the Eagle Games website. Although considerably more expensive than "Thought Hammer" it was shipping free and included the pieces for the 6th player and I got it a week ago Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
You could atleast have the decency to pick a classic video game, instead of simply picking the highest selling crap on the shelf at gamestop.

Pong: The Board Game?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Seriously, they picked the most popular pc game, then tried to make a boardgame out of it!!!!

Who wudda thunk? I'm not sure selling the most popular pc game and selling it in different forms would be an economically feasible strategy.

Maybe someone should alert Disney to tell them that taking highly grossing movies, theme park rides, etc., and turning them into t.shirts, video games, board games, etc. won't make them lots of money. I'm sure people will "see through it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Although the Eaglegames.net website is still up and running it is a gamble whether you'll receive anything, including a reply to your emails asking "where is my game?!?"

Does anyone have an alternative contact other than keith@eaglegames.net?
Annoyingly enough I could have bought the same game cheaper elsewhere, but have been waiting hoping this would get resolved...

Choice of games aside, I think it could have been the lack of customer service that certainly didn't help the cause... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.