Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried using all the cards in a game? Here is what I'm thinking. You always have 5 cards set up per normal. However when a player makes a move, their card is discarded. They take the public per normal, but the public card is replaced by the top card of the deck.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've thought about that also. It would make it a very different game. If I don't get Onitama for Christmas, I'm buying it for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert DeArmond
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takes a game with perfect information to a game that will be determined by random card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought of this compromise variant ...

Instead of 5 cards, play with 7 -- two in front of each player, but with the player to move now always having a choice between one of two cards off to his right in which to select a replacement for the card he just used and moved to his left. Basically just add an additional card to both the left and right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
Has anyone tried using all the cards in a game? Here is what I'm thinking. You always have 5 cards set up per normal. However when a player makes a move, their card is discarded. They take the public per normal, but the public card is replaced by the top card of the deck.

Thoughts?

This is an interesting idea. It might make the game more like The Duke which I found to be a bit too random and chaotic for my taste. I remember playing games of Duke thinking 'I just need a left moving piece and I will win the game'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skwalin wrote:
Takes a game with perfect information to a game that will be determined by random card draw.

I think you would need to put 2 cards to the side, one for each player so that the moves you see are an "upcoming" section like in say Tetris. This allows you to plan in advance but still add that "Not planning too far ahead" chaos some might want. I'd never say this is the main way to play, but could be an interesting experiment.

It removes a lot of player interaction however. Half the game for me is thinking about what my opponent is going to trade me and how I can force him to give up the moves we both want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the 5 card system makes it so you can plan up to 20 moves in advanced. Also when ever you play a card to move your opponent has that card to play after his next turn.You also have to limit the available options for both players so that they remain predictable. This is the best I came up with.

Deal each player one card. Then deal the top 3 cards face up in a row keeping it in order. Last draw the 4th card and place it in the discard on the other side of the mat. The icon color of the card in the discard pile is the player that goes first.

A player has one of three options.

1 Play and discard the first card in the draw line up then discard it to the top of the discard pile. Then move the 2nd and 3rd card down the line up and draw a new card and place it in the 3rd position.

2 Play the card from your hand and discard it to the top of the discard pile. Then draw the first card in the draw line up. Move the 2nd and 3rd card down the line up and draw a new 3rd card.

3 Play the card from your hand then draw the top card in the discard pile. Discard the card you just played to the top of the discard pile.

and of course logically when the draw deck runs out of cards reshuffle all but the top card in the discard pile to make a new deck.

So a couple of mechanics I am trying to preserve with this format.

*Players only have two move selections to chose from making their moves more predictable.
*Players will know the next move available to them so that moves can be made with follow up moves planned in advanced.
*Playing a move card makes the same card available to your opponent. But holding on to a card or keeping a card from their opponent limits their movement options making them extremely predictable.

Well there is my "full deck" variant. I have yet to test it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.