8 Posts

Risk 2210 A.D.» Forums » Rules

Subject: New and changed rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mir Cag
Croatia
flag msg tools
While playing with my friends we found out that some of the rules/card effects don't really add to intrinsic play, so we decided to change some of them. I would really appreciate feedback, especialy since some of them we are still debating, so proposals are deeply appreciated.
-------------------------------------------
Cards changed:

Cease Fire (2)
After the opponent declares an invasion
You select 2 territories. The opponent cannot invade them during his turn.

The original effect is imo vastly overpowered, especialy in a game with few players. So far we came out with this change and it works nicely, but other ideas are welcomed.

Armageddon (4)

Before the first invasion
Moves the nuclear markers to other random drawed territories. If they contain units (including stations), all are destroyed.

The most idiotic card effect of all is imo original Armageddon. Why would anyone ever play that card in his sane mind? Besides, it is called Armageddon; it should DESTROY. This change is based on my thoughts that Moon is more yes than no underpowered, and since we tend to sometimes play games in 7 moves or so this surfaces even more often.

Frequency Jam
After the opponent announces card play, without stating what to do with it specificaly.
Pay the price of the played card + 1, minimum 2, to cancel the card and return it into the deck.

I still think this is a tad to powerful, but maybe we'll think of something else.
----------------------------
New cards

Spy Infiltration (2) Diplomat

A player choses either one card from any opponent (no looking), or the ability to see all cards from one player.

Radiation Suit (2) Nuclear
Allows movement over contaminated territories during one year for all players.

Lunar Fortification (4) Space
Builds a Space Station on a desired landing zone under your control. This territory cannot be invaded from Earth as long as the Station remains.

Submerged Assault (4) Naval
During the turn the player may invade one coastal territory from any water territory.

Underwater Fort (3) Naval
Builds one station in a desired water territory. This territory is immune to negative card effects.

Space Bombardment (4) Space
Can be activated only if the player possesses at least one territory one the Moon. Destroys half of each opponent's space stations (rounded up). The opponent gets to choose which to destroy.

Decontamination (3) Land
Removes a devastation marker.

Ocean Fury (4) Naval
Roll dice. Kill as many naval commanders as the rolled number. You choose which.
-----------------------
Rules changes

You can buy max 4 cards per turn, but only 2 of the same type.

When invading the maximum number of units you can transfer to the conquered territory is 6, NOT unlimited. This is to prevent everyone from stacking masses of troops in the beginning in 4 or 5 player games in the beginning, and than proceeding to obliterate opponent(s).

When throwing dice during invasion, the attacker throws first, and THEN the defender gets to choose with how many dice to defend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir Cag
Croatia
flag msg tools
MY friend proposed these:

Orbital Bombardment (4) Space
Draw 3 territories. For each territory throw a 6-sided dice. Kill half the units.

Rocket Defense Systems (4) Land
Choose territory. That territory is now immune to all rocket-type attacks.

Bilological Warfare (2) Land
Can be played before your first invasion or as a response to enemy invasion.
Choose enemy territory. Any mods there become contaminated and can't move for the territory.
If a enemy invades and you play this card, he can still attack, but can't enter your territory. If he kills all your mods territory becomes neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mee Slow
msg tools
mbmb
Not conconvinced by any of the effect changes to any of the main-stay cards. For example, the beauty of frequency jam is that it costs nothing to play and therefore allows ailing players a respite and opportunity to get back into the game.

Sounds like you're in need of an additional deck. In my own searches I've come across two - the tech commanders and deck offered through the factions expansions and the advanced tech commander offered through ebay (please refer to the post on 02/06/07 for further info).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mee Slow
msg tools
mbmb
Looking further that your rule changes, you're killing the game! War is messy and that is what's so good about this game - things can change so quickly. Sounds like you're trying to sterolise the playing environment because you've been overawed by a few blitz like battles that haven't gone your way - that my freind in the beauty of the game. War isn't sterile, it isn't pradictable! If anything, rule or card change should bring another element of unpredictability to the game. Happy Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir Cag
Croatia
flag msg tools
Hm, but I actualy tend to think that I'm messing the war up even more (which was my goal). Radiation suit, Decontamination, Armageddon (!!), etc. I think that I am actualy importing, in stead of exporting the luck factor.

Since you mentioned Frequency Jam I'll comment that: I did write that I am still thinking how to change it (it simply HAS TO be changed), and this most definitely isn't my last choice... The goal was to make that card capable of defending Moon from nuclear cards which are simply devastating for a player who leaves Earth, and he is wide open anyway: example, if playing a 4 player game he can usualy be assaulted in cca 24 ways! (3 landing spots, 4 players, each with two SSs) And this climbs to max 48...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Staničić
Croatia
flag msg tools
I have to agree with Rainalkar - some cards are just too powerfull and cost nothing.

Frequency jam in a 2 player game is murder, alltouhg I guess it works in a game with more plas...but still costs nothing!

Oh how about this:

Sabotage(2) Diplomat
Select and opponents space station. Roll a 8-sided dice. If 3 or more destroy station.

Ambush (0) Land
Play before you declare invasion in a territory with a enemy commander. You can specifiy exactly which units you are attacking and the opponent must defend with them and destroy them if he loses (thus, if you attack his commander he can't remove a mod, even if he has a dozen of them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
United States
Amherst
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
On the card changes:

I don't think Ceasefire is OP. Maybe in a 3 player game. But people will usually Freq Jam you before important attacks (especially on year 5). Of course if you change the effect of the Freq Jam then it certainly is OP.

Armegeddon is a tricky card, but can be really awesome. Usually you only want to play it if you have at least 5+ nukes. Remember you can Freq Jam beforehand. Or better yet, use an Assasin bomb the opponent's Nuke Commander. Then he can't play his cards! I Love this card, and would NEVER consider removing it. You're idea for changing it is too crazy... it could wreck the game for someone. Maybe move ONE dev marker, but not all of them.

I like you're idea for Freq Jam, but it's a lot like Mind Control from the Tech deck. I think this card is OP. The way we play, for each Freq Jam you play you block one TYPE of card. So I could block land, sea, diplomat, or space, but not all. This tones it down.

Now on your new cards:

Spy Infiltration: Nice card. Seems it would be pretty well balanced. There's a similair card in the Tech expansion.

Radiation Suit: Hmmm... this sounds nice. But it would have to be playtested for balance. It's hard to say right now. Like the idea though.

Lunar Fort: I'm not sure. Interesting, but balance is a question. Definitely Playtest.

Submerged Assault: Nice idea. I like this one. Really powerful, but has the right price.

Submerged Fort: Maybe add the restriction that you can't attack from the fort to the moon? For them more than for balance. It's silly to attack from underwater to space.

Space Bomb: Overpowered! It's a nice rule that you have to have one moon territory, but still, I think Space stations are rare enough as it is, without people being afraid of a card blowing em' up. Maybe destroy one Station plus one d6 MODs in the same territory?

Decontamination: Good, I really like this one.

Ocean Fury: I don't really like this one. It seems pretty well balanced (maybe a little OP depending on the situation) but I just don't like it. Oh well.

Rules changes:

Card Limit is fine as is, but your idea is not bad either.

Attack limit: What? I don't see what you're trying to fix here. Generally if someone puts all their troops in one army and makes lot of attacks then someone is just going to mop up all their undefended territories. The limit doesn't make sense thematically either. Why would an army be limited in how many troops they can occupy the taken land with?

Dice rules: I don't really like this. Although it does add a bit of strategy to battles (i.e. when my opponent rolls 6 and 4, do I risk losing two MOD's and try to do some damage, or just roll one die and wait for a worse roll) it gives the defender to much of an advantage imo, and will probably add to the length of long battles. Keep it simple is what I think. Still, it is an interesting rule.

Please don't take offence at any of this. It's meant to be "Constructive Criticism" and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir Cag
Croatia
flag msg tools
first, thanks for the elaborate reply, second, sorry for answering with such a lag. We pretty much settled on the rules: I will state them all now, and comment on your comments. Please try to take all the changes in the picture, because evaluating a single card at the time can sometimes lead to wrong conclusions (not that you had them
----------------------
Crucial rule changes:

-Players start with one commander ONLY. All players' commanders are hidden and shown at the same time when they are to be deployed.
***sometimes we change this and play with 2 commanders, but the hide rule remains, it adds so much depth to the start of the game***

-After the players compete for turn order in given year, each player has a right to purchase up to 4 cards in turn order BEFORE the first player turn commences. However, cards purchased COUNT to the max limit of 4 cards per turn.
***This was to stop last-first turn play strikes, and it works nicely***

-After conquering a territory a player may transfer only up to 5 troops in it.
***This was to prevent stacking everything in a single country, and to slow down a superior player. It isn't real fun when there are four of us and one loses on turn 3, for that guy that is. Sometimes we raise 5 limit to 6. I understand your doubts, but we played unlimited first and it was doll. When there are four players each will take one area - no one wants to engage with the other because it will kill them both at the start.***

-Commanders and stations cost 2 for first commander/station, 3 for second, etc.
***This is also to slow down a superior player. If you want to get stronger you have to pay more and more to keep it up. This works great for us***

-Dice rule: I simply love the face of someone when I dice 6 and 2 and 1 say, and he dices 2 to get 5 and 1 lol. And the inevitable fist slam at the table . Mathematicaly speaking, if someone dices 3 you MUST dice 2 for max results. So there is no real strategy here. I like this better.
-------------------------------
Cards
all of them are written in my language (croatian), so this would be a rough translation. Each deck still has 20 cards:

Diplomat Deck - it was drasticaly improved. It was patheticly weak with rule changes before mentioned. Land was much better, Water and Space allowed new expansions...

Evacuation (2 cards, 0 cost): response to an attack; moves all units from attacked area to any other (connected or not) or
moves any number of units from a connected area into the attacked one.
***The second effect can really turn the tide. But, than again, there are Frequency Jams***
Infiltration (2, 0): end of year; take 1E from each opponent
Charisma (2, 0): end of game; if diplomat commander still breaths, add 3 to score. Also affected by Frequency Jam.
Runaways (2, 1): pick one opponents commander. That commander and all opponents corresponding cards become yours. In return, the opponent may do the same IF you have a commander (if you don't he gets nothing, not even cards). Both players may place commanders in any area. Frequency Jam CANNOT be played IF the player possesses less commanders than the opponent.
Cease Fire (2, 1): it remains as described.
Rules of Engagment (2, 1): attacker must remove 5 soldiers from the area he attacks from (can be played only if he has 6 or more soldiers OR you are willing to let one live). You must remove 3 soldiers from three land the attacker chooses (again, they cannot remain empty).
Recession (3, number of players in game): all players remove 4 units in turn order, than you remove 2 (as original)
Relativity (2, 2): After turn order is determined; swith order with an opponent at will. It this year no player gets any starting E/unit bonus. No Frequency Jam.
Frequency Jam (3, price of card played +1): play after the opponent announces the card to be played and the opponent against it will be used BUT NOTHING ELSE. Can be canceled with another FJ.

More to come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.