Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Culture stealing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dieter Schmiedbauer
Belgium
flag msg tools

I have played 5 games now and ALL of them were a blast and epic. Got raped last night by klingons totally destroying Romulus in turn 3 and then me doing a hegemony on Kronos the next turn. Same game Klingons destroyed Earth and Kronos , we call him Staf the Destroyer these days

So far even with the extreme randomness possible and some real bad luck every now and then it balances out every time.

Anyway,

As with Research nodes you capture you get a project.

How about stealing 1 culture from your rival when you take a culture node? As in looting artefacts and the like.

It would add some more possiblities and leverage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, but I think culture nodes are valuable enough already, without adding another incentive to steal them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be pretty punishing - especially for the Federation player as he really need those badly to get new worlds (or old ones back) ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
all of this has happened before ...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like games in which someone is additionally punished for losing something anyway. A double penalty tilts the balance too radically (as in “Arcadia Quest” for example). Loosing something like a Culture Node is bad enough. If someone already has a knife in his back you do not have to shoot him in addition.
(Except you are a Klingon off course) whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
I do not like games in which someone is additionally punished for losing something anyway. A double penalty tilts the balance too radically (as in “Arcadia Quest” for example). Loosing something like a Culture Node is bad enough. If someone already has a knife in his back you do not have to shoot him in addition.
(Except you are a Klingon off course) whistle


I agree, and think that the way you can steal advancements is already too much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that only one node has a real disadvantage for losing it. It really does punish the tech rush strategy for the game. IT's not like other 4x games allow you to steal technology.
Culture nodes however are just so rare (open spaces often get filled by production thanks to node priority). Still you should lose something for losing control of a cultural iconic city.

Could cause a player to lose Ascendancy instead instead of steal an Ascendancy token. But instead of an invasion this must be done through hegemony. Basically a system with a culture node is lost to hegemony take over from a rival. That player loses 1 Ascendancy token as one of their systems just committed Brexit. The player gaining the system does not get the lost Ascendancy token. Downside to this is that will it can increase the length of the game and could cause a snowbaling effect as the next hegemony attempt becomes easier. (Maybe throw in a culture refund for each node lost in a system with a culture node).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Agreed that only one node has a real disadvantage for losing it. It really does punish the tech rush strategy for the game. IT's not like other 4x games allow you to steal technology.
Culture nodes however are just so rare (open spaces often get filled by production thanks to node priority). Still you should lose something for losing control of a cultural iconic city.

Could cause a player to lose Ascendancy instead instead of steal an Ascendancy token. But instead of an invasion this must be done through hegemony. Basically a system with a culture node is lost to hegemony take over from a rival. That player loses 1 Ascendancy token as one of their systems just committed Brexit. The player gaining the system does not get the lost Ascendancy token. Downside to this is that will it can increase the length of the game and could cause a snowbaling effect as the next hegemony attempt becomes easier. (Maybe throw in a culture refund for each node lost in a system with a culture node).


So instead of stealing 1 culture, you just lose 5 culture?

Yes, I think that's likely to make the game go on just a tiny bit longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
all of this has happened before ...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I agree, and think that the way you can steal advancements is already too much.

If you are looking for a more realistic approach:

CAPTURING RESEARCH NODES DUE TO CULTURAL HEGEMONY
Rules stay as they are. (A civilization which bends to a hegemony will make its research results available for the new administration.)


CAPTURING RESEARCH NODES DUE TO INVASION
The player whose Research Node was captured must choose one of his active projects. This project must be shuffled back into his Advancement Deck. (A civilization taken by military strength will destroy or conceal their research results from the enemy aggressors.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
I agree, and think that the way you can steal advancements is already too much.

If you are looking for a more realistic approach:

CAPTURING RESEARCH NODES DUE TO CULTURAL HEGEMONY
Rules stay as they are. (A civilization which bends to a hegemony will make its research results available for the new administration.)


CAPTURING RESEARCH NODES DUE TO INVASION
The player whose Research Node was captured must choose one of his active projects. This project must be shuffled back into his Advancement Deck. (A civilization taken by military strength will destroy or conceal their research results from the enemy aggressors.)


I'm not looking for a more realistic approach, I'm just looking for it to not be doubly sucky for the player who is being invaded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter Schmiedbauer
Belgium
flag msg tools

After reading this i am finding myself agreeing with not supporting this idea myself anymore


Players will just have to anticipate a player getting 5 ascendancy and try to take their homeworld
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.