BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Tardis Dice Tower for Christmas 2016 - With Pics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Meyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hey all. Been a bit of a lurker on the forums for quite some time before finally creating an account. BGG has been my one stop shop for rules clarifications and for some great ideas on box inserts and other DIY.

So I decided I would share my most recent project, a Tardis Dice Tower I'm making for the wife for Christmas. Since it's been a secret project I've been chomping at the bit to share the details. It's made from hobby story basswood, superglue, and acrylic paint. Had a buddy help me out with the LEDs. I'll shut up now and get on with the pics.

EDIT - Added a picture with the top off.

Well, that's it. I'm pretty happy with the results and I hope she likes it as much as liked making it. Let me know what you think!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do the dice go in? I don't see an opening on the top.

What is lit up on it? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Meyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The top is removable. When it's turned on for display the windows are all lit and the top light flashes.

Sorry about the pics, took them with my archaic cell phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done! But it's not as big on the inside as I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Meyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks! I was looking into the whole space-time distortion thing but then I figured the dice would just get lost in there and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should put some kind of baffle or lumps in there to make sure the dice tumble more. I built a dice tower with a similar design and it was easy to fix the dice rolls because they moved predictably down the slope.

A couple of horizontal rods would work, but so would odd grooves and lumps on the ramp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean "TARDICE" : Tactic Adjusting Random Discrete Integer Chaos Engine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Meyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Found that out during the testing process on the ramps. After a little tooling I added a couple triangular wedges on the 2nd and 3rd level ramps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no pulsing sound effect when switched on?

Seriously, I am envious! It looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Meyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks! If it wasn't for the time crunch I would have added a small speaker. Version 2.0 perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Taylor
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you add plans with measurements? I'd like to make my own, but dont necessarily want to guess. Also, what woods did you use? Was it just hobby balsa and square dowels? What were the windows made of? Really if I was given the wood I could probably fake it. Was it 1/8th thick? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.