Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Khronos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederic Renaud
Canada
Unspecified
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have to determine the turn order for every turn (like 7 times)? In our first game we've determined the turn order only at the beginning and it made the first and last player too powerful. I went through the rules book twice and I'm still not sure if we have to change the turn order every time. How do you play it?

Thanks

Fred
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the impression that the somewhat cloudy rule here implies (unknowingly?) that you can do both:
Play in always the same order or determine a new turn order after each round.

The new rule set (a new edition is in the making right now with better rules) again is not very precise here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
wildlife wrote:
Do we have to determine the turn order for every turn (like 7 times)? In our first game we've determined the turn order only at the beginning and it made the first and last player too powerful. I went through the rules book twice and I'm still not sure if we have to change the turn order every time. How do you play it?

No change in starting player. Someone starts; proceed in clockwise fashion; the player to his right finishes the game when that player has taken his 7th turn.

@Michael: new rule set? You involved with them in any way cool?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Renaud
Canada
Unspecified
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
wildlife wrote:
Do we have to determine the turn order for every turn (like 7 times)? In our first game we've determined the turn order only at the beginning and it made the first and last player too powerful. I went through the rules book twice and I'm still not sure if we have to change the turn order every time. How do you play it?

No change in starting player. Someone starts; proceed in clockwise fashion; the player to his right finishes the game when that player has taken his 7th turn.

@Michael: new rule set? You involved with them in any way cool?



Thanks for the clarification. Have you played the game often? What's your take on my "issue"? Is it simply a coincidence that happened in our first game?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:


@Michael: new rule set? You involved with them in any way cool?



I think I can be affirmative on this.cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, the order doesn't change.
The first player has more free space and could be the first to build a castle for exemple. The last player can benefit others players' buildings and renovations. The second player has less free space than the first player but more than the last. He can also benefit the first player buildings and renovation.
No order issue in my opinion.

Arnaud.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's clearly an order issue. The last player has to watch as the other players carve up whatever position he's established in earlier turns, leaving him hoping he draws cards that let him salvage some scoring. The first player has far fewer chances that someone will tear up one of his domains, etc. We're not sure yet how to fix it. One possibility is to redo it randomly each turn, another might be to act in reverse order of current score.

Randy...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you really think there is a problem you can reverse the order at turn 5 for the 3 remaining turns.

Arnaud.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipp wrote:
I think there's clearly an order issue. The last player has to watch as the other players carve up whatever position he's established in earlier turns, leaving him hoping he draws cards that let him salvage some scoring. The first player has far fewer chances that someone will tear up one of his domains, etc. We're not sure yet how to fix it. One possibility is to redo it randomly each turn, another might be to act in reverse order of current score.

Randy...


I'd have thought if anything the last player would have the advantage of being able to carve up what every other player had built before him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
I'd have thought if anything the last player would have the advantage of being able to carve up what every other player had built before him.


It hasn't been my experience that four cards (and none held over from the previous turns) has been enough to do this kind of work. More often, in the previous turn a player set up to join or divide a domain only to watch in horror as three people have their way with his "setup" leaving him wondering how he's supposed to get any of those civil building points when there's that huge castle sitting in the domain now, or when someone drops an orange building and joins up, reducing your building and ruining an entire turn's work, or when you just don't get a blue card on turns 4 or 7 to try to do something with others' leftovers. Admittedly, we haven't played a dozen times, but this perception, based on the several playings we do have, is starting to stick (along with a deep concern that the Age of Faith is a peril-fraught no-man's-land and that there's little good way to contain a player in control of a large military domain).

Randy...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, we found the Age of Faith to be very problematic, but some players were coming up with really clever ways of building and scoring there.

Back on track, would an auction sort out the turn order issues people are having?

Might I suggest players are given a greater number of ecus to start with, and then each round players bid for turn order? It might add length to the game, but if you're unhappy with how turn order works now it could be a solution.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's another way for me to play terribly sub-optimally, but it would probably be better.

Randy...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all the same. The 1st player sets up something, and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th players play in between. (or less with less players). The 3rd player sets up something, and the 4th, 5th, 1st, and 2nd players play in between. The 5th player sets up something and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th players play in between.

Since you score after YOUR turn, and not after the 5th player's turn (unless you're the 5th player, of course), it balances well I think.

DISCLAIMER: Haven't played this game yet. Hope to change this soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.