Rick Salvato
United States
Melville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know one of the big draws for Myth is its "open-endedness". But for my group it just promoted tons of debate and very little actual game play. (I have a few rules lawyers in our group). I'm hoping the new expansions add a more structured experience to the game. Any insight from those that are currently playing or have played the expansions would be most welcomed!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It provides a story and a structured way to set up tiles that is independent of the legend that's on the tile. In regards to your rules lawyers, you'll want to read through the 2.0 book and see if that provides clarification. The modules won't be what answers the questions people have about rules, it just provides an organized story in which to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In my experience,

Rules Lawyers + Myth =

If you played any of the stories from the original game, you have a sense on how the new modules go. There's definitely more structure, but the basic rules on how you play through this new structure haven't changed at all. The basic gameplay is still the same.

You might check out the latest patch as there's a starting level module in it. Give it a read and see if the added structure seems to be enough to satiate the rules lawyers in the group. Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Download the Q4 patch. It contains a starter scenario that is formatted the same as the story books in the 2 expansions. So this can give you a free taste of what to expect.

http://megacongames.com/downloads/download-info/q4-patch-201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good thing about MYTH is that it's cooperative and a known sandbox game. That should keep people from worrying about getting the rules perfect for most game groups. Just do what sounds right and roll on with it. Since people aren't adversarial to each other, seems to me most groups would be able to come to a consensus where the rules are vague. Just 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth works best if you treat it as a 'combat-heavy' D&D campaign.

The modules and Quest cards are the story and set the scene.

The Cards are the Dice rolls and skills for heroes.

The Darkness AI is the DM.

The focus should be on the narrative and having fun, not exploiting the rules or breaking the game.

I think the stone of life ---> Random Quests ---> Expansion modules is a good path to follow right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
If you are looking for structure, the modules are the way to go, They are a very fun way to play the game.

The entry level modules are all found online.

The new Stone of Life is a good entry point (tho I have not yet played it), as is the fanmade module of No Rest for the Weary (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138603/myth-module-no...).

I was recommending Rise of the Revenant as a 2nd module, but since Stone of Life only awards 1 card and 1 title, it may pretty challenging. You can do Fury of the Fireborne instead.

Then once you have done 2 modules, you will be ready for the JM modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulski
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Luckily for me the group I played with through Blackwall Warrens didn't have any rule lawyers so sticky situations, which there was a small hand full, were settled within a few minutes. I think because Myth has a lot of moving parts its hard to have a rule for every iteration / interaction for what could go on, leaving us the players with some ambiguity.

Stone of Life would be the place to start but I'd wait until the teaching module has been release, which could be out anytime from now (Dec 23) to end of february.

Also, if your group got hung up on a certain aspect or rule of the game the last time you played start a thread over on megacon's official forum and tag MercKenny. He'll weigh in on any questions you have to give an official ruling. In my experience he's been pretty quick, 1-3 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Salvato
United States
Melville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Guys,

Thanks all for the great insight and recommendations. I always forget the incredible following Myth has here at BGG!

Here's wishing Happy Holidays to you and yours, and a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.