Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Quick Review if you are considering purchasing this game for Solo Play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Frank

Arizona
msg tools
mbmb
Disclaimer: Watch videos like a normal human if you want to get a feel for how the game is played. This is intended for someone who has done a bit of research and is wondering if they should buy this for primarily solo play.

SETUP: My inexperienced setup time was just under 20 minutes.
I also feel like this game will be easy to remember the setup quickly if you haven't played in a while. The included card dividers are perfect for keeping this game tidy enough to setup quickly.

GAMEPLAY: If you like deck builders, you will like this game a lot.
For solo play, I prefer to control two mages. This gives you more strategy with the "ally" effect cards. At first I was concerned about the fiddleyness of a two-mage solo game but it never felt like too much to deal with or manage. Pure solo can be very difficult and I would recommend adding the Emerald Shard in place of a crystal to your starter deck for built in life gaining ability and maybe ignoring the rule about never gaining above max life. I recommend checking the forums for good ideas to balance pure solo mode,but I recommend just playing two mages.

Solo gameplay has taken me around 30-45 minutes. That is with very little gameplay experience.

Teardown: Teardown time was under 10 minutes, including sorting all the cards to their appropriate stacks and stowing them.

FINAL THOUGHTS: If you have made it this far in researching this game for a solo deck builder you should buy it. The diversity of strategy and fun that comes in this box with a combination of a potential sub one hour play time including setup and teardown makes this my new favorite solo game. The rules are very simple and not overwhelming for a casual solo gamer, but it will definitely scratch that strategic deck builder itch too.

Quick suggestion: Don't get hung up on sleeving this game. Due to the lack of shuffling the wear on cards is going to be minor. Just use play mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same experience. I would like to add that this game actually plays quite well two handed due to the given random turn structure.

Regarding sleeving I would recommend sleeving the turn order cards, as they get shuffled A LOT. Also, some Nemesis effcts make you shuffle the decks, but they are dependent on the given Nemesis and are very rare. I sleeved my cards anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved my game because of you thin the cards feel. Even with sleeves. The difference was noticeable after playing Star Realms.

As for a pure solitaire experience, I felt like I was more in control with two mages than just one. With only one mage, the Nemesis ramps up much faster and you don't necessarily have the time to prepare. It feels like a much harder game. It actually is the only time I lost against Rageborne. Though my character's HP was never threatened, since Gravehold took all the damage.

I'm a bit concerned about players number. I don't like the wild card in three players mode, 4 players seem to be much more difficult, and pure solitaire makes your timing much more restricted. Two mages solo is manageable alright, and is also what I'd recommend.

I otherwise pretty much agree with the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the 2 and 3 player count. My kids like planning who should take the wild. My only caveat is to make sure either through player power or card selection that there is a way to heal players and/or gravehold. I tried once a failed due to a few instances on nemesis turns in a row with no turn in between to mitigate the power cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game with two mages went quite well. I will try the three character set up solo too, but I'm doubtful of doing a 4 mate solo since each mate only gets one turn against two nemesis turns. I fear that I'll end up with 4 mediocre mages against a fully unleashed nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.