Hide
8 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: How fun/good/useful are the expansion heroes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ozy Mandias
msg tools
With the Q4 patch out, I've dusted off my copy of Myth and I've put together a group of new-to-Myth players who want to try it out. This group of players is a bit on the casual side, so 'fun to play' is top priority for them.

From just looking at the decks and summaries, I haven't been able to get a good feel for how the new heroes play. New (to me) are the Skald, Trickster, Spriggan, and Hunter (from the MERCS Kickstarter). I'd appreciate any feedback that might help my friends pick characters they'll enjoy and enjoy the game as a whole.

*Does playing the Trickster feel slow/cumbersome?
*Does the person playing the Skald feel like a passive buffbot?
*Anyone here ever played the Spriggan or Hunter?
*Any tips on 4-hero party composition? (Is the Acolyte still pretty essential?)
*Is the 'Stone of Life' module a good starting adventure, or should we start elsewhere?

I'm looking more for tips on the 'fun factor' here. I want to avoid players feeling underpowered or like their strengths are too situational. I'll probably play a support role, either the Acolyte or one of the new guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
As for the Hunter, you can find some info/opinions here: Hunter & Infected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OzymandiasX wrote:
With the Q4 patch out, I've dusted off my copy of Myth and I've put together a group of new-to-Myth players who want to try it out. This group of players is a bit on the casual side, so 'fun to play' is top priority for them.

From just looking at the decks and summaries, I haven't been able to get a good feel for how the new heroes play. New (to me) are the Skald, Trickster, Spriggan, and Hunter (from the MERCS Kickstarter). I'd appreciate any feedback that might help my friends pick characters they'll enjoy and enjoy the game as a whole.

*Does playing the Trickster feel slow/cumbersome?
*Does the person playing the Skald feel like a passive buffbot?
*Anyone here ever played the Spriggan or Hunter?
*Any tips on 4-hero party composition? (Is the Acolyte still pretty essential?)
*Is the 'Stone of Life' module a good starting adventure, or should we start elsewhere?

I'm looking more for tips on the 'fun factor' here. I want to avoid players feeling underpowered or like their strengths are too situational. I'll probably play a support role, either the Acolyte or one of the new guys.

The trickster involves painful accumulation of the right cards to pull off a trick or trap and then there's a roll and if you don't manage the roll, it's all for nought. Some of the effects are pretty good but the long turn where nothing is happening followed by a failed roll is pretty heartbreaking. Only seen it played once.

The Skald has a lot of effects to trigger all the time so you won't be bored but few of them cause damage. They tend to help other people do damage or help out the group. Kind of like playing the cleric in D&D int the old days. Definitely a totally different way to play. Worth trying but not unless there is a group for it to support.

The Spriggan/Druid is another totally different character. Doesn't really use equipment or care about treasure. Needs to build his stuff up and then can do some damage or tank some damage to itself. Then it needs a recharge period. It kind of needs an advanced card or two.

In a game where people are playing 1 character, I'm not sure I'd play the Trickster or the Hunter. The Skald player needs to be OK with not being the powerhouse doing the actual killing most of the time. The Sprigaan needs perhaps a bit more patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OzymandiasX wrote:

I think it's tough to give targeted advice without knowing your level of comfort teaching/running Myth to this new group. It sounds like you haven't played in a while and might be a bit "rusty" when it comes to the nuances of this game.

My advice is to stick with the base game heroes. IMHO, the expansion heroes are fiddly and much more geared to experienced players. Personally, I never had fun with any of them (never played Hunter, but reviews are very mixed). If it were my group of new players, I'd stick to the base.

Best of luck! Please report back how well this went for you.

OzymandiasX wrote:

It just came out earlier in the week. Doubt there's been many to try it. MegaCon made this as a single skull module (aimed at novice heroes). I can't see why this wouldn't be a good place to start.

I'd definitely suggest getting yourself familiar with the module before introducing to new players. It might spoil some things for you, but I think that's better than rage quitting due to frustration because things aren't understood. As the group becomes more familiar with the game mechanics, I'd expect you could do a module without first reviewing it yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the Trickster. Yeah, it takes getting one of his green items to really get him going, but once you do, he can be overpowering. The spring trap is just plain fun!

Didn't care at all for the Spriggan and the Skald is okay, but better if you play with 4 or 5 heroes. Never tried Hunter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend the expansion characters right now.

1) Their 2.0 cards are only in PDF format, so you have to print them.

2) They have no journeyman progression, and likely won't for another year+. (The recent KS update suggests that it's planned for Sept. 2017, but I'm expecting even further delays). So even if your friends are having fun with them, they'll be disappointed if you guys progress to the point of Journeyman level-ups, and the base game characters are choosing between cool branching paths, while their characters have nowhere to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
The Skald needs at least a 4 hero group, but is very good, so long as you are okay with being full support. Doesn't heal as well as the Acolyte (since Attend the weak is basically OP), has all of the other support tools plus more such as picking up treasure without MP, increasing MP, rearranging decks (awesome with combo classes), and can manage the AP track better than any other class. It's 2 attacks also do not need rolls which is very powerful in some situations. Overall very good (with a latger group anyway).

The Spriggan is okay. It is a typical jack of all trades master of none. It can do some neat tricks but is ultimately not as good as other classes. It has an identity problem, it has tank skills but can't generate threat well, it has range 1-2 attacks and it has range 3+ attacks. The item cards clog your hand once they have been played and it's one heal is laughable. It is mediocre, but not strictly bad either.

I have not played the trickster much, but I have heard that he starts bad but if you can get his specific gear (which becomes harder and harder as the decks grow) he becomes quite strong.

I have not played the Hunter either but I have not heard good things, see other topic.

But I agree with the above. You have to print the 2.0 cards and we won't be seeing the Journeyman cards until the September 2017 wave.

On the other hand, both the Swashbuckler and the Outsider are both very good and highly recommended (tho I think the Swashbuckler is slightly too strong). https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1680782/my-thoughts-new...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozy Mandias
msg tools
You guys are the best! Seriously, every response has been super helpful.

Mistermannindy wrote:
Best of luck! Please report back how well this went for you.
Will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.