Subject: Four questions.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game yesterday (TOI now my official favorite game ) and wasn't sure about the following:

1. Can a defender of an assault add a mortar's firepower to their attack strength?

2. Does a defender of an assault get to utilize a medic's cover bonus? Or is it only terrain cover that can be used during an assault?

3. Can you perform a Fire & Move action and enter an entrenchment as part of that action? (move into an entrenchment and then fire?)

4. Is there a limit to how many units can join a combined attack?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Mr_Bickman wrote:

1. Can a defender of an assault add a mortar's firepower to their attack strength?

No

Quote:
2. Does a defender of an assault get to utilize a medic's cover bonus?

Yes, it is a normal attack

Quote:
3. Can you perform a Fire & Move action and enter an entrenchment as part of that action? (move into an entrenchment and then fire?)

Yes

Quote:

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:

No. "... Nor can a mortar crew contribute firepower during an assault against its own hex." (page 39)

Quote:
2. Does a defender of an assault get to utilize a medic's cover bonus? Or is it only terrain cover that can be used during an assault?

Only terrain cover, entrenchments, and pillboxes (page 33).

Quote:

Sure.

Quote:

No more than the total number you have on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the quick responses! David, did you disagree with Mike's response to the second question? He said that a medic's bonus does apply when defending an assault. The quote from the manual is a little confusing, because it doesn't mention medics at all. That's why I posted the question... Is the omission purposely meant to imply that they don't get the bonus? If that were the case, I would have thought they would have mentioned it as an exception.. but what the heck do I know.. I'm so confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the rulebook supports Medic bonuses for defenders against Assault, but Mike ran the playtesting and is more likely than me to know the intent. It sounds like a good subject for errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't think the rulebook supports Medic bonuses for defenders against Assault, but Mike ran the playtesting and is more likely than me to know the intent. It sounds like a good subject for errata.

Point 6 on page 34 does say that "Assault attacks are considered normal, rather than suppressive attacks".
Also the Medic's ability says "The medic squad, and any squad in the same hex as at least one medic squad, gains +1 cover against normal attacks".
Although it's not explicitly allowed by the assault, the special ability is pretty clear that +1 cover is provided against normal attacks.

--- RFC ---
3 5 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still like to see Mike respond to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Seamus1 wrote:
I'd still like to see Mike respond to this.

See my answer above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:

Mike said: No
David: No more than the total number you have on the board.

But isn´t the limit the number of actions per phase? (eg first scenario 3, so 1 attacker and 2 supporters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland, no. Each unit acting does not equate 1-for-1 with an action. An initial unit can take a concentrated fire action. Any number of other units can join in. This is called combined fire. All of this is still part of that one action.

Another example is the assault action. One initial unit takes the assault action. A number of other units may join in on the assault. Eventhough, for example, 5 units took part in the assault, it is still all part of the one action.

It is conceivable that you take one action and fatigue all of your units in one go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I thought, just for an Assault you can use every unit you have around.
For normal Concentrated Fire, where you use supporting squads that would cause for every supporter an action (and setting them fatigued).

And what about OP Fire? There, the nummer ob Squads returning fire is determined by the Squads set on OP. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland,

Concerning opfire, right. One initial unit in opfire mode makes an attack. Other units in opfire mode can join in at half firepower. This is another example of combined fire. The difference in this opfire mode example is that if you have 5 units participating you may have spent 5 actions already. It takes an action to put a unit in opfire mode in the first place. I say "may have" because the units in question in opfire mode may have been preset into opfire mode as part of the scenario setup or as part of the last round's status phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.