Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm thinking of getting back into the Star Trek CCG. (I'd originally owned complete sets of the first edition basic set as well as the Alternate Universe set...but my wife trashed it all when we moved west.)

That said, I don't know much about how the Second Edition is structured, nor its cost.

Can I do as I did with the 1/e, and just buy a deck of the 2/e as well as a booster pack or two, and have a usable deck? I'm assuming I still need two decks to play, right?

Also, before I drive all around the Valley looking for a store that sells this stuff, what's the retail cost for the decks and the boosters?

Finally, is this a game that my wife, a reluctant fan of the DS9 television series and occasional gamer, might like? (That is, is it heavily dependent upon CCG-style mechanics, or is it an approachable enough game from a general perspective?)

Any tips are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, see your GeekMail. I'm actually trying to move my 1st edition collection, maybe we can work something out.

As for how approachable it is, I thought the 1st Edition was less CCG-ish than games like Magic or Star Wars. You still had to pay attention to card combos when you constructed you rdeck, since you needed to have the skill sets in place to complete the missions you picked, but it never seemed as complex as Magic during the play of the game. To be fair though, its been more than 10 years since I played, so my memory is fuzzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek 2nd edition is similar to the first edition, but has been streamlined for faster play. No matter, if you want to get back into the first edition or the second edition, go to wholesale gaming:

http://www.wholesalegaming.com/

You can buy combo boxes for ST2nd for $12 and $13. A combo box contains 8 starters (2 copies of 4 different starters) and 24 booster packs. The two combo boxes are:

Star Trek Second Edition CCG: Second Edition Combo Box ($13) - Romulan (Shizon), DS9 (Sisko), Klingon (Gowron), and Federation (Picard)

Star Trek Second Edition CCG: Call to Arms Combo Box ($12) - Borg and Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JasonRMax wrote:
Carl, see your GeekMail. I'm actually trying to move my 1st edition collection, maybe we can work something out.

As for how approachable it is, I thought the 1st Edition was less CCG-ish than games like Magic or Star Wars. You still had to pay attention to card combos when you constructed you rdeck, since you needed to have the skill sets in place to complete the missions you picked, but it never seemed as complex as Magic during the play of the game. To be fair though, its been more than 10 years since I played, so my memory is fuzzy.

10 years indeed...that's about right for me. I actually participated in a couple of tournaments, and won one back in the day. Even got a box of boosters for Christmas from my parents one year--and was thrilled when I opened up a pack and saw the Future Enterprise staring back at me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got a FE in the very first pack of Alternate Universe she bought. The FE (and the Star Wars CCG) is what made me give up on collecting.

(BTW, I am not offering the FE in the cards I'm trying to get rid of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ljw74us wrote:
Star Trek 2nd edition is similar to the first edition, but has been streamlined for faster play. No matter, if you want to get back into the first edition or the second edition, go to wholesale gaming:

http://www.wholesalegaming.com/

You can buy combo boxes for ST2nd for $12 and $13. A combo box contains 8 starters (2 copies of 4 different starters) and 24 booster packs. The two combo boxes are:

Star Trek Second Edition CCG: Second Edition Combo Box ($13) - Romulan (Shizon), DS9 (Sisko), Klingon (Gowron), and Federation (Picard)

Star Trek Second Edition CCG: Call to Arms Combo Box ($12) - Borg and Dominion

So these starters are "complete" in the sense that I could buy, for example, the first group there and play Romulan versus DS9, without having to buy anything else?

That might be the way to go, to get a feel for whether the game would work out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be OK. Other than the 3 random rares in a starter deck, they are tuned for their affiliation. Go here, you can see the card titles and even click on the title to see the card. The starter decks are listed also.

http://startrekccg.fanhq.com/TCG/CardLists.aspx?gameID=8&lis...

I also have a fairly extensive collection of first edition and the Second Edition Combo Box was my first purchase of the second edition. I just recently bought this, but I plan on picking up the "Call to Arms" combo box shortly. Right now I'm concentrating on learning and playing the "Wars" tcg, which I also got from wholesale gaming (2 booster boxes- (1 incursion, 1 nowhere to hide) and all six starters for $20).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I ended up getting a couple of decks (and two booster packs, for fun) while here in Michigan on vacation. One's the Dominion deck, the other is the Borg deck. We'll see how well it plays with my wife.

I'm also giving some serious consideration to opening a game store when we come back to Michigan, and given that CCGs are huge it'd seem to me that I need to do some "research" on all this stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.