United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture is one of BGG's rising stars and success stories, with Viticulture Essential Edition recently entering the Top 50. It's an outstanding worker placement game, with a convincing theme, attractive components, and for me it's just the right blend of luck and strategy, complexity and length. To see me gush at length about this delightful medium-weight euro game, which is easily one of my all time favourites, read my comprehensive pictorial review of the second edition here.

One of the things that really makes the game are the Summer and Winter Visitor cards, because they ensure that each game plays out differently, while at the same time giving you flexible strategic options. So having a set of extra visitor cards makes for a welcome addition to Viticulture, and that's exactly what Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion is all about. More Visitors, More Viticulture! In this case, the expansion has a particularly distinguished origin - famed euro designer Uwe Rosenberg was invited by publisher Jamey Stegmaier to design some additional visitor cards, and he quickly came up with 64 card designs, which the Stonemaier Games team developed and whittled down to the final set of 40 cards that make up this expansion. The cards are illustrated by Beth Sobel, and to add a personal touch they mostly feature Uwe's family and friends in the artwork. The expansion also includes reprints with minor fixes to the Promoter and the Harvest Machine.

I've scoured the personal comments and skimmed through some reviews and other articles, and carefully organized some key quotations to bring you the important things you need to know and what other people think about Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion. The parts in bold express my own conclusions, which are then expanded upon and substantiated by the citations that follow, to give you a feel of what most people are saying on each point. Perhaps you could call this a kind of "consensus of opinion", somewhat biased because I'm the one who gets to pick the quotes to include, but overall a well-rounded and fairly objective viewpoint. So here you have it, an at-a-glance overview of some of the majority opinions that you need to know about this small expansion.

NB: For more reviews like this, see this list.

1. This expansion includes 40 new visitor cards designed by Uwe Rosenberg.
Uwe Rosenberg designed expansion of summer and winter visitor cards. - VincentDarlage
Limited expansion in that it only includes 40 new visitors. - MAJBrown22
Additional Summer and Winter visitors to add even more variety to these already sizable decks. - Arkeas
This adds 40 new visitors and helps insure that you don't cycle through the same visitors each time. - autumnweave
Uwe Rosenberg helps add new visitors for Viticulture. - EndersGame
Expansion brings new visitors created (at least in part) by Uwe. - JoergBoerg
More visitors by Ewe to one of my favorite games! - LovefortheGame
The expansion is cheap, as it is just more cards. - Meiere01
How am I supposed to resist a cheap expansion developed by the one and only Uwe Rosenberg? - reverendunclebastard
Some whimsical artwork as well, like the kid "inventor" eating the grape ice pop and the blissed-out overindulgent wine "enthusiast." - pjoneslawbuy

2. To use the expansion, simply add the new cards to your visitor deck.
I have mixed the Moor visitors in with the Essential visitors and will not separate them. I see no reason to do so. - coryke
Bought to use in combination with the Essentials Upgrade Pack to create a "definitive" set of Visitors. - mccrispy
We have the cards mixed into our Essential edition and play with them every time. - oneofpeace
I'll never play Viticulture without it. - MAJBrown22
These are brand-new visitor cards that can be shuffled directly into any version of Viticulture. - jameystegmaier
Moor visitors. Mixed in. - badrito
Fully integrated with the base game and always used with it. - kim7gary
Incorporated into Viticulture EE. - chbates
I've mixed in the cards to the Viticulture Essentials Edition cards and will leave them there. - coryke
I would recommend mixing these visitors in with the visitors from the base game + Tuscany rather than playing with Moor visitors alone. - milenaguberinic

3. The main benefit of the new visitor cards is the variety they add to the existing game.
More variety for one of my favorites cannot be a bad thing. - Pixelman
Extra visitor cards - some really nice additions - whats not to like? - m0ng0
Variety in the visitors from game to game goes way up. - dbolyard
If you like Viticulture, this expansion is a no-brainer as it adds even more variety to the game. - Eeeville
Doesn't change the game but just gives you more choices which is perfect. - Bigft64
Tired of seeing the same visitors each time you play? This expansion might be for you. More of same - no more, no less. Just a bunch more visitors making the game more varied without introducing anything new or special. - hampusr
Adds some more variety to keep the game fresh. - brainpattern
Add extra variety without some of the new cards being overpowered. - Pozman
Changes the game up. - moedin1
I especially like that it makes the decks big enough that they don't cycle every game. - gperson2
Even more visitor cards! Love it. - Kicbak
It ups the visitor card variety substantially and makes the gameplay more dynamic. - bpierce72
More cards is always fun. - VolleyGame
It's just a few cards, but they add a lot to the visitor decks. Go for it! - brewgeek
Adds a ton of interesting visitor cards to a game that I already love. - ZapRowsdower8

4. They also have some great new effects, abilities, and strategies
Also adds even more ways of scoring a lot of points without playing the core of the game (making wine and filling orders). - brainpattern
Nice card effects. - Joakley815
A handful of the Moor visitors have higher costs and higher rewards than any of the Essential Edition visitors. - pjoneslawbuy
I saw Uwe on a card and that card gave $5 discount on buildings and then you have to PASS the card to the left. It is a crazy powerful card. - punkin312
Some new and quirky abilities. - newkillerstar27
Yes, I know, it's just a deck of visitor cards that you shuffle in with the other visitor cards but still.....I'm a Viticulture addict, and, these cards have some amazing effects. - Silver Fang
The new cards are perfectly designed to be unique while not changing the game from its core. - MAJBrown22
We have really enjoyed seeing all of these cool new cards pop up with unique and different powers. Highly recommended! - bpierce72
Some very interesting abilities on these cards. - Arkeas
Makes grapes more important (especially if you have a less wine more visitors strategy). - Jyothi
Moor visitor effects are more advanced, complex, and situationally useful, so they can slow the game down a bit. - milenaguberinic

5. One concern expressed by some is that they add more randomness to the game.
The new cards add a frustrating amount of randomness to the game and as such I doubt I will ever play with them in the visitor decks ever again. - Stryxowl
Didn't have much luck with the visitor cards, really. Surprised Euro gamers go for this as it really randomizes the game. I can take them or leave them. - mi_de
The cards added here provide significantly more variety, but they also make the game balance a little shakier by increasing the randomness. - RussPSmith
Feels a little random since you can easily win the game by having good draws and only playing visitors. - brainpattern

6. There were also some component issues.
More cards, but they were printed badly off centre, which whilst it does not matter terribly is very annoying. - barnetto
Unfortunately, the cards did not perfectly match the ones from the Essential Edition (at least for the first printing of Moor Visitors). - Joakley815
If you don't sleeve your cards, this expansion is going to be annoying because the expansion cards are longer or shorter than the actual game's cards. - Eeeville
Unfortunately, the card size doesn't properly match the EEUP. - mccrispy

7. While not essential, if you love the original game, this is an excellent expansion!
An easy add to an already excellent game. - Bigft64
Probably not needed, but so happy to own. A nice addition to the base game. - dbolyard
Inessential but a nice luxury to have if you being playing Viticulture many times over. - pjoneslawbuy
Not necessarily essential, but good to have. - newkillerstar27
Great addition to a great game! - kuhnk
A really excellent expansion to add! - bpierce72
Good expansion because it's interesting. - VolleyGame
These have replaced the cards in my Viticulture. They are the best set. - Raujour
Not required, not critical, but nice to have. - Alan Stern
very glad I got this. It's a fun little expansion. - Jyothi
You can't have too many visitor Cards. It's impossible. - timme314
This is perfect for people who liked the base game but were just left wanting moor. - Happymrdave
I love the new cards in this expansion. So happy to have it. - VincentDarlage
Great tiny addition to an already great game! - milenaguberinic
Definitely not a must have unless you fall in love with the game. - Meiere01
I am sure if you like the game you will like the additional cards. - punkin312

The bottom line: what you need to know

Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion is a small but satisfying expansion, that will be a welcome addition to the main game for most fans of Viticulture. While it doesn't make massive changes to the game along the lines of Tuscany expansion, it adds enough cards to ensure more variety in the game. As with any card game, the luck of the draw is always going to be a factor, but the randomness this generates isn't caused by this expansion, but is part of the original game, and for many players is part of Viticulture's charm and replayability. The fact that this expansion was designed by Uwe Rosenberg adds to its appeal.

Fans of Viticulture who are looking to inject some newness into the base game will find much to enjoy with 40 cards from the Moor Visitors expansion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's "What you need to know and what people think about..." reviews:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37595
Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.

If you made it to the end of this review and found it helpful, please considering giving a thumbs up at the very top of the article, to let me know you were here, and to give others a better chance of seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ender!

:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By way of another Christmas miracle (my household seems to have them in spades this year), a copy of this expansion is currently en route to my house. I can't wait to add the new cards to the game; more variety in this game would be wonderful (says the guy who hasn't even played all the modules included in Tuscany yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
South Brent
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only the art wasn't so...jarringly unattractive? conspicuously peculiar? It's as if the designer just put the faces of random friends on the cards... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the new printing of Moor Visitors fixed the card sizing issue? I have a copy of the first printing where the cards are not exactly the same size--while it is playable, it is terribly annoying to know which visitor cards from where are coming next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick: We actually found that the issue wasn't widespread on the first printing, though I'm sorry to hear that your copy has cards that were slightly bigger. It's only noticeable if you have a really keen eye (as you do). The cards in the current printing are a perfect match for the other visitor cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MV: As a gesture of goodwill, after the cards were named, we asked Uwe if he would like us to use his friends and family as models for the cards. He sent us a ton of photos, many of which were taken to fit with a specific card. Then our wonderful artist Beth Sobel created paintings based on those illustrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Jamey Stegmaier: Do you think this expansion would fit in the same box with my Viticulture:EE and Tuscany:EE? They already just barely fit, nice and snugly. But will these Moor cards be easily accommodated in the tray?

To those talking about randomness: I hate excessive randomness in games, but I don't see why people think this could add that. The odds of hitting any particular visitor when you want them have always been low. You have to work with what you get; that's part of Viticulture. More visitors seems to me to be a great idea, so someone isn't gambling their whole strategy on the unlikely (now even more unlikely) event of drawing a particular visitor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
To those talking about randomness: I hate excessive randomness in games, but I don't see why people think this could add that. The odds of hitting any particular visitor when you want them have always been low. You have to work with what you get; that's part of Viticulture. More visitors seems to me to be a great idea, so someone isn't gambling their whole strategy on the unlikely (now even more unlikely) event of drawing a particular visitor!

I completely agree with you. In my experience, the best Viticulture players are usually those that can best adapt to their visitor draws instead of hoping for specific ones to come up that would fit in their strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
To Jamey Stegmaier: Do you think this expansion would fit in the same box with my Viticulture:EE and Tuscany:EE? They already just barely fit, nice and snugly. But will these Moor cards be easily accommodated in the tray?

They fit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

They fit!

Yes, they do! It all fits very snugly in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.