United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Link to the update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-mon...

YESSSS custom campaign book! 3 new long campaigns, 2 new short campaigns, a full breakdown of where the 12 old expansions fit into the new node system, tips for custom campaign creation, and a slew of new cards and story events. Plus a whole lot of settlement sheet pads!

This feels like a must-buy for anyone who has all the old expansions. I have a feeling that the node system will be explained somewhere outside of this book, but this sounds like a comprehensive guide. I think there's also a reason the new expansions won't be explained in this book - my guess is that the new expansions are already being designed with the node system in mind, and that the individual expansions will have an explanation of how to use them within their own rulebooks.

Bonus: excited to see what new content is going to come out for the Messengers figures in the future. I'm guessing they'll be new inclusions in the Wanderer system mentioned in an earlier update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooohhhh yeah!!!!

This is the kind of content I wish there was more of for more games!!

Just think of the possibilities for user-created campaigns! laugh cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty darn excited about the variant campaign options, since my group's gotten a ton of mileage out of those and has started planning our own.

On the Messenger pack, at this point, I wish Poots would just making a running list of what's going in whatever update pack there'll be for those of us who got the 1st expansions and are still missing our rules (i.e. anyone from Survivor pledge or got promo add-ons). There's been a lot of content mentioned but not very cohesively.

Give it a name, let us know what it is. Since a lot of us are already getting the core game update pack, seems like it would be a good way of distributing it anyway to make it a KS add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have a different image in my head of what that campaign book is going to end up being, but if it makes integrating multiple expansions easier -- it's going to be huge huge huge.

It may make having alllll those expansions actually worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too love this update/expansion... although my initial reaction is a little on the opposite end of you all. This would be my top expansion pick except I definitely can't get all the expansions so I am wondering how flexible these new campaigns are. I love this whole thing but my budget (and likely free time) can only allow for the top expansions (currently leaning DK, FK, DBK, LK, and maybe Gorm). So hoping for more details on this. He mentions it allowing for customizable campaigns so I am hoping it will work out :- )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping something similar is planned for the future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Huh. Kind of expected this material to be in the advanced rulebook in the Gambler's Chest. I hope we don't end up with rules spread even further than they are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I did assume we were already getting this but I think the real value will be the 3 campaigns, cards and Butcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey M
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just hoping that it is still useful if you don't have a ton of expansions. Like if you have 3 or 4 expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Raider363 wrote:
I'm just hoping that it is still useful if you don't have a ton of expansions. Like if you have 3 or 4 expansions.

That's the one thing that worries me, which is why I'm getting all the current expansions so I can live my life without worry laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I'm most interested in this expansion is the designer thoughts on how to best fit everything together. I hope there's more narrative or stream of consciousness in it than stereo instructions on how to put the parts together.

Also, anyone else notice that, while this could have just been a book and people would buy it, he also snuck in a new monster, survivors, and gear? This might be one of the best returns on investment yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raider363 wrote:

very possible, i mean if the 3 new 30 ly campaigns require monsters from expansions you dont have that kinda makes the book worthless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Could this rival in uselessness to the lonely tree. I wish he called it... The lonely book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
Raider363 wrote:

very possible, i mean if the 3 new 30 ly campaigns require monsters from expansions you dont have that kinda makes the book worthless

You're only focusing on one part of the book. Even if you can't use the 3 pre-built campaigns in the book, its a book full of rules on how to make your OWN campaigns. Only have 4 expansions? Cool. This book will break those expansions down and show you how to integrate them.

The pre-built campaigns aren't the only draw here. And honestly, if that's all you're focusing on, you're probably missing the main point of the book in the first place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I like the idea of 3 new campaigns, but I don't think the update necessarily says they'll be new. It just says "3 x 30LY campaigns," and I assumed this meant the 3 main campaigns already available (modified to whatever extent necessary to incorporate the new node system).

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
gorkel wrote:
Raider363 wrote:

You're only focusing on one part of the book. Even if you can't use the 3 pre-built campaigns in the book, its a book full of rules on how to make your OWN campaigns. Only have 4 expansions? Cool. This book will break those expansions down and show you how to integrate them.

The pre-built campaigns aren't the only draw here. And honestly, if that's all you're focusing on, you're probably missing the main point of the book in the first place

do we need rules to do that? i mean they integrate rather well already..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Hmmm. I like the idea of 3 new campaigns, but I don't think the update necessarily says they'll be new. It just says "3 x 30LY campaigns," and I assumed this meant the 3 main campaigns already available (modified to whatever extent necessary to incorporate the new node system).

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

without reading it again im fairly sure he mentioned new events to go with the new campaigns. My guess is these wont be the original 3 story lines and may also include new Boss encounters similar to how the sunstalker and dragon king work as both boss and quarry monsters i can see new rules for certain other epxansions being boss monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Galli
msg tools
I don't Wanna be a d**k But i'll receive base game, The 12 old expansions And maybe gambler's box in 2017. 3 new campaigns And rules To make custom ones is exciting, But i really need To wait until 2020 To know how To use expansions And node system properly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
This is one expansion where more info would be greatly appreciated. Including expansions in the base game was no problem so far. Creating custom campaigns sounds good, but without new events also a little underwhelming. The node system is a great help, but you won't need the book for that. What's interesting here are the 5 campaigns, the story and settlement events and the butcher monster. Is that a new quarry? Do you need specific expansions for the campaigns and events`? If so, which ones? Is that mainly for experienced players who own most of the old expansions, or can this enrich also just the base game?

The whole concept sounds fascinating, but it also might be useless for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I wrong in thinking this expansion is mostly interesting for existing players? I'm a new pledger and can see how this would interest me if I had a dozen campaigns under my belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Razinar wrote:
I don't Wanna be a d**k But i'll receive base game, The 12 old expansions And maybe gambler's box in 2017. 3 new campaigns And rules To make custom ones is exciting, But i really need To wait until 2020 To know how To use expansions And node system properly?

Stefano, the Campaign Book refers only to old expansions, so when you receive it, you can make custom campaigns freely with core and old expansions.

It is not explicitly written (but I think it can be somewhat safely implied by what it is written later), but the Node system for the new expansions should just blend in without the need of a book.

I guess that Poots made the Node system explicitly to make a rule out of a lot of single cases, so the Campaign Book is just a bridge that makes the old expansions work in custom campaigns like the new expansions will probably do natively.

Plus, the campaign book has insight about this.

And, unless otherwise stated, new expansions ship 2019.

Of course, it's Poots time, so it is somewhere between "tomorrow" and "no, not a chance, never".

EDIT: ahah, I mixed some italian words here and there, fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking this expansion is mostly interesting for existing players? I'm a new pledger and can see how this would interest me if I had a dozen campaigns under my belt.

This is exactly right. If you just play with the base set, no expansions or anything, that's like 50 hours of gameplay. If you play the alt campaign expansions (dragon king and sunstalker), that's like another 50ish hours each. New players are going to have a year or more of gaming on their plate with just those items. Adam has said all along that he most recommends just picking up the base game and not worrying about the expansion for new players. I completely agree.

However, the idea of short campaigns is new this kickstarter and no one really knows how they'll work or much about them. If this book explains how to properly build short campaigns, such that you could design a series of games around some of the smaller box expansions, then it could be a great resource for all experience levels. I think people would generally love to cram an entire campaign of KD:M in a long Saturday or be able to pick apart everything from their new Pariah expansion without having to also fight a white lion a dozen times in between.

But who knows? We're unlikely to hear much more on the subject for the next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
Could this rival in uselessness to the lonely tree. I wish he called it... The lonely book.

I couldn't agree less. Narrative structure and guidelines to make a cohesive game out of the 12 expansions I already own sounds awesome. This is easily my most anticipated expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

I couldn't agree less. Narrative structure and guidelines to make a cohesive game out of the 12 expansions I already own sounds awesome. This is easily my most anticipated expansion.

you dont need a book though to add the expansions to any game. Lets be clear here for the new people that KDM expansions do not require this book to work with your game. Nobody really knows for sure how this book will work or if it will be worth its hefty price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.