BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What to play on an airplane? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: travel [+] [View All]
Jan Salminen
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi.

I am trying to figure out what game would be best for killing time for a couple of hours on an airplane?

I need a two-player game that is interesting for both a near-newbie-boardgamer and a bit more advanced (though no pro) gamer. There is not much room to play on an airplane so I guess the game needs to be a small one.

Could someone help me by recommending a few games?

I'm not too keen on traditional playing cards, so something more imaginative would be nice. My own favorite games at the moment are Yspahan, Notre Dame, Mykerinos and Doom. All games that you can't exactly play on a plane.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm, I used to have a Travel Chess Set.

The travel Blokus would be good.

I'm sure there are more but those are off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one might be a little odd but a real nice game to play on travel is Twixt which is an old 2 player abstract. If you go to the game entry the rules and boards are in the files section so you can just print a bunch of those out and take along two pens in different colors to differentiate. It's very portable only requiring paper and pens. You also can play quietly to not disturb neighbors on the plane.

Another that I have heard others having some success with is Lost Cities by not using the board and just playing each on their fold down tray. I think this would be a bit fiddly and I prefer pen and paper games for air travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out the game Warchon, by Z-Man. It consists of a book and two sets of bookmarks -- each page of the book represents a map location and each bookmark represents a fantasy warrior unit of some sort. It was specifically designed to be playable when no tabletop is available. You move the bookmarks from page to page and pass the book back and forth. There are random number tables on each page (IIRC, each player picks a number and then you cross-reference them on one of the tables) for resolving combat and magic and such.

I haven't gotten around to actually playing it, but it's a very clever idea and the graphics are quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Ingenious: Travel Edition has worked very well for me on my recent airplane trips with family. Only caution - scoring pegs are tiny - so might be better to keep score with paper and pen.

I haven't tried it, but Mr. Jack might work as all the components are fairly large (so harder to misplace). Needs only the tray to hold the board.

Of course, if you are travelling with a computer - you could download the electronic version of Yspahan while I suspect it might allow 2 players to hot seat (share the same terminal), a quick look at the interface shows that such an option isn't all that obvious - so might not be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have heard that Travel Blokus is an excellent adaptation of the game.

When we flew to Florida a few months ago, our game of choice on the plane was Citadels. It worked fairly well. We held our character cards with our hand cards. The city built out nicely on the trays and the little indent for your drink worked well to keep the gold in place. We used the box lid for draw pile and discards. And I think this is a good game with 2 players and can accomodate up to 8 once you reach your destination.

EDIT:
I recall someone made a 2 page travel board for Twilight Struggle. But trying to handle all the chits would still be a pain unless you used stick notes or someething. Otherwise one hit of turbulence and the whole world is in disarray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Jan!

Here is a geeklist about this very thing:

Airpane Tray Table Games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11726
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why two persons? Try to get a few more people interested and break out Cash and Guns.

Just imagine:

It's gonna be a riot! A riot, I tell you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try San Juan. The only time I ever took a game with me on a flight it was San Juan and it proved to be a pretty good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came back from a trip taking a plan from Europe to US, and the games that works are Jambo and Typo, and Pickimino. Maybe some other games like travel blokus would work too but it is too short.

Highly recommand those 3 games, especially jambo, we bring it everywhere and play it everyday, never get tired of it. just remember to put all bits in a bag you will be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leo
United States
New England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year on trip back from Budapest, my father in law killed lot's of time on the plane w/ Cribbage... which allows you take a deck of cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pocket civ works well and it is free! You only need the games 16 cards and a pencil and piece of paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second San Juan. Took that with on our last trip and it worked well both on the plane and in the hotel. Nice and compact, too!

I haven't tried traveling with it yet (having just purchased it not long ago) but Sun Tzu might work as well. It's also fairly compact and while it has wooden cubes they're pretty decent sized. If my wife enjoys the game it might make it on our next trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is an excellent game that packs small, and needs very little space to play. The rules are simple to teach and to learn, yet the game has some real depth and interest. The only drawback is that games are short and air travel is long -- but Hive is like potato chips; it's hard to stop after just one game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Something like Lost Cities would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Irvine
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've successfully played 6 Nimmt (a.k.a. Take 6 or Category 5) on two airplane tray tables. It also works for three players, if you have the 3-in-a-row seats in the middle of large jetliners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played Kahuna on the plane. No, wait, I played once at home, but all other times have been on a plane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War on Terror This is a favorite of mine when traveling overseas!

The flight attendents get such a kick out of the mask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wilkinson
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bath & North East Somerset
flag msg tools
mb
Try Plateau, a great little abstract that packs a huge amount of strategy and fun into a board which is just 4 by 4 squares (checker piece sized). You can download a little utility to teach you the rules and practice against a (fairly dumb) computer opponent.

Games will mostly play out in five to fifteen minutes for new players, so no worry if the game gets interrupted by the arrival of the inflight meal.

Each player has 12 checker pieces with colours on one, both or neither sides, so the whole game is tiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlas Games Pieces of Eight, Kahuna maybe. or Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've played Kahuna at the airport- but on a bumpy plane ride I would be concerned about the tokens sliding off the board. Ingenious pocket edition is very good for traveling due to its small size and the indentations keeping all the tiles exactly where you put them (though I still don't like the game mechanics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one previous treatment:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11726

Also this list on magnetic adaptions of travel games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20187

also, pen and paper versions of popular games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14404

Through the Desert and Hey! that's my fish! have paper versions too, in their respective file sections, as does Medina.

Pocket Civ with the two player variant is a natural.

But the best possible game would pencil and paper Commands & Colors: Ancients. Or a simple magnetic version. See the magnetic list above for a discussion of magnetic battlelore and how certain problems were solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghoulash is free, so it's worth having along.

If it were up to me, I'd have Icehouse pieces and a board for Volcano if you can trust yourself and your playing partner(s) not to lose the pieces. I guess there is the possibility that they may get confiscated for being so pointy.

Micropul isn't bad and it's also freely available to print and play. Also have a look at the original version of Rat Hot.

I'd also consider Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add buttonmen and girl genius: the works (both from cheapassgames).

In buttonmen, all you have are the buttons and the dice (and some people play without the buttons!). Girl genius has a 'board' of 12 cards in a 'basket weave plus' pattern that I think would easily fit an airline tray. (just browsed the above mentioned geeklist and was reminded of Set. gg:tw takes about the same space).

Devil bunny needs a ham or devil bunny hates the earth might work too.

+1 vote for icehouse pieces. volcano, homeworlds (binary homeworlds for 2), maybe some of the chessboard games (martian chess, pikemen).

Maybe a CCG or ccg-esque game. Depends on the individual games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Hive on an airplane trip.

The first thing that happened was I dropped one of the hex bits and it rolled a few seats down the aisle, but some friendly passengers passed it back.

After that, we had a successful game concluding with my victory.

I recommend Hive, just be careful with the bits. It is a very nice 2 player game, and the bits behave themselves quite well once on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.