United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen, Sal, and I are working on a week of gaming lunches after a long, dry period without gaming lunches. Today we pulled out Der Untergang von Pompeii for a quick luncheon excursion.

Since I have the German language edition, I had printed out one version of the rules when the game publisher made them available, and another had come with the game from the online vendor. The two rule sets vary WIDELY on how you set up the deck. Stephen agreed to set up the game while I went to get a lunch at the food court in our local mall. When I returned to the gaming table, we started placing our citizens.

It was on the 13th card that it occurred to me that the eruption card had not made an appearance yet, so I questioned which rule set Stephen had used. He pointed out the one that said 25 cards on top of the eruption card. Since we were so far in, we decided to keep going It made for a very short game.

That rule set also said that once you turn over the eruption (47 AD) card, you shuffle it back into the remaining cards in the deck. Stephen drew two Omens (one for Sal, one for me) and then dew the eruption card again. I had shuffled, so that was the way it landed.

From there it became the standard race for the exits game. The tiles came out without much burning of citizens. so in the end, Stephen won with seven while Sal and I were tied with six for second and had the same number of citizens in the volcano. In fact, if Stephen had pulled the eruption before the two omens, it would have been a three way tie.

Moral of the story? I have removed the other set of instructions from the game before restoring the game to the vault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be an english ruleset or two here which translated it completely differently than in Amigo's rules downloaded from their Website. One said to put all the omen cards underneath the (second) AD 79 card, guaranteeing they would never be drawn!

The online retailer I had bought the German game from helpfully provided both, but they were (luckily) so wildly different from each other that I didn't even try the game until I sought out a third translation, Amigo's. It wasn't long before this became my favourite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the deck is put together makes ALL the difference in this game. I now look forward to never having to play the wrong rules again. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.